Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 03:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tall tripods and heads?

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 06, 2014 09:40 |  #16

I think, what's central to my resignation on this issue, is that
a) I've learned the world isn't designed for people such as myself. When I was a touring musician, I can't tell you how many times I tried to shave at a hotel sink that rested at thigh-level.

b) my photographic 'vision' or perspective is not necessarily a physical one.

sponsored links
Colt4570
502 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 06, 2014 14:00 |  #17

hollis_f wrote in post #16738200 (external link)
I'm 195cm (abour 6'5") and my Induro CT313 with an Acratech ballhead gets my viewfinder to eye level without the central column. Add a battery grip for the extra inch and you'd be there.

I gather than Induro do an aluminium version that is probablty cheaper.

+1. I'm only 5'11", but my aluminum AT313 Induro + Acratech is too tall for me, legs fully extended (centerpost down). The US cost is about $185.00.

Flickr (external link)
Gear

HuskyKMA
"Now what?"
1,749 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 08, 2014 01:19 |  #18

dave63 wrote in post #16738638 (external link)
I think, what's central to my resignation on this issue, is that
a) I've learned the world isn't designed for people such as myself. When I was a touring musician, I can't tell you how many times I tried to shave at a hotel sink that rested at thigh-level.

b) my photographic 'vision' or perspective is not necessarily a physical one.

I hear you there, I'm 6'7". There's all kinds of stuff us tall guys can't do or have that "normal" people never think twice about. Few of my friends have cars I can sit in, buying a sleeping bag is a struggle, gotta have a California King bed so my feet don't hang off, I hit my head on pipes at work that everyone else walks right under, the list goes on and on! People don't get it when I say I wished I was 6'2", but I thought that height was great!

But my Gitzo GT3541LS is pretty darn good with my gripped 40D. I do wish it was 1-2" taller, but overall it's great.

Canon 40D w/ BG-E2N Grip| 400mm f/5.6L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Gitzo GT3541LS w/ RRS BH-55

Savethemoment
488 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 08, 2014 01:23 |  #19

The tallest RRS tripod has a maximum height of 215.9cm, or 85". I'd be quite fascinated to know if anyone here has one, and how they use it!

http://www.reallyright​stuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id​.10169/.f (external link)

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 08, 2014 17:07 |  #20

Savethemoment wrote in post #16742725 (external link)
The tallest RRS tripod has a maximum height of 215.9cm, or 85". I'd be quite fascinated to know if anyone here has one, and how they use it!

http://www.reallyright​stuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id​.10169/.f (external link)

Even if you're not tall, a tall tripod can be quite beneficial. Everyone likes to go on about "getting the camera low" but getting it high can yield a unique perspective of it's own. That's what step ladders are for. ;) You can also use the longer legs for areas were you're right "on the edge" so to speak. You can put a long leg down into a hole or down the side of a hill.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Aus.Morgo
561 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 08, 2014 22:07 |  #21

I'm 6'4" and could not be happier with my Gitzo 3542XLS.

Gear List

Savethemoment
488 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 09, 2014 01:40 |  #22

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16744037 (external link)
Even if you're not tall, a tall tripod can be quite beneficial. Everyone likes to go on about "getting the camera low" but getting it high can yield a unique perspective of it's own. That's what step ladders are for. ;) You can also use the longer legs for areas were you're right "on the edge" so to speak. You can put a long leg down into a hole or down the side of a hill.

I know.. that's why I have the RRS 34L, which I love (even though I'm only 175cm) :D

I just wonder what it would be like to use a tripod which extends to 215cm!!

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

tombrewer
345 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 09, 2014 09:57 |  #23

I'm 6'3" and have the Manfrotto 055CXPro tripod,RRS BH-40. These are comfortable for me. I've carried them onto planes, local and overseas. In Sadona I carried them and my backpack up Devils Bridge and Airport mini mesa. Carbon fiber is definitely worth the money.

Canon 7D, Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 18-55,, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 17-40mm f4L, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, Canon TC EF 2x III., TAMRON SP 150-600mm 5-6.3 Di VC USD, Manfrotto 055CXPro tripod,RRS BH-40 LR,Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,816 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tall tripods and heads?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.