Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 22:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My 6D is a lot better sports camera than my 7d

wysiwyg59
294 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 08, 2014 07:31 |  #106

Funny thing is he is comparing a 4 year old camera vs the 6D. Of course there will be improvements. I have owned the 7D for 4+ years and very happy with it. It's like comparing a 2009 Corvette to a 2014 Corvette. Not a fair comparison.

Rick
Canon A1,6D2 7D2, 40D, Canon G12, Sony NEX-5N
Canon 70-200 IS F2.8 L, Canon 35mm f1.4 L, Tamron 28-300, EF-S 18-200mm, EF-S 10-22mm
wysiwyg@hickorytech.ne​t (external link)

sponsored links
OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 08, 2014 07:45 |  #107

OMG, These are amazing with the 6D. Hmmm, thinking I my need a 6D after all

watt100 wrote in post #16742942 (external link)
seems the 6D is actually pretty good for sports

I've owned a 6D and have seen other 6D's been used in motorsport. The issue I got and also the other guy is not about IQ, it is about keeper rate. I may get 2 out of 10 that are tack sharp while the other guy did a little better around 3-5. Keeper rates are what keeps us in business unlike portrait shooters. So I returned my 6D, saved enough pennies and got a 5D III to be able to get more keepers to sell more prints but in your case you may only do this as a hobby so if you are okay with some OOF shots then go with the 6D if you like.

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 08, 2014 08:09 |  #108

Scrumhalf wrote in post #16739552 (external link)
All this kerfluffle is because the OP insisted that his 6D works better than a 7D for sports. Had he stated instead that under some sports conditions, the 6D is capable of producing excellent inages, then this thread would not have gotten beyond post 2 or 3.

Exactly. All he had to do is say that he was personally able to get better results with the 6d than he was with the 7D. That might still have led to a rousing discussion about his inability to use the advanced features of the 7D (he wouldn't be the first to buy a 7D and find out that it was too much camera for him), but at least it shouldn't have gone into another mine is bigger than yours battle.

When he put up the thread title that he did, he should have been already putting on his body armor, because anyone who can reasonably understand English could have predicted the direction this thread was headed.

And for the record, I've never used either one, so I don't have a horse in this race.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 08, 2014 08:20 |  #109

joedlh wrote in post #16740834 (external link)
I wouldn't apologize for the quality of your English. I was surprised to see that you were from Sweden. As for slang, "get a rise" I believe evolved from "raise one's hackles" which happens to a dog when threatened. The hackles are the hairs on the back of a dog's neck.

Actually the phrase "get a rise" has to do with enticing a fish to strike at a surface lure. Just a synonym for "trolling" or "baiting". ;)

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 08, 2014 08:50 |  #110
bannedPermanent ban

watt100 wrote in post #16742942 (external link)
seems the 6D is actually pretty good for sports

It's actually VERY good for sports. Number of "keepers" will be determined by the CORRECT use of the Custom Functions and the AI Servo AF system itself. Too many people believe a single point should be used for tracking and that will get you a ton of OOF shots.

Dave

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,995 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 08, 2014 08:55 |  #111

Bakewell wrote in post #16743142 (external link)
It's actually VERY good for sports. Number of "keepers" will be determined by the CORRECT use of the Custom Functions and the AI Servo AF system itself. Too many people believe a single point should be used for tracking and that will get you a ton of OOF shots.

Then logically it follows that the same comment applies to the 7D, with even more AF points with all of them being cross-type, a better burst rate, larger buffer, and more pixels on target if you are reach-restricted. All of this equates to higher keeper rate for those out there that consistently shoot sports, week after week. The only negative really is the 7D's 2 stop worse ISO performance, and that is something that has to be worked around.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,284 posts
Gallery: 350 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 08, 2014 09:08 |  #112

I recently shot some dog agility trials, i have a 5DIII, a 1DIII and a 7D. someone was there with a 6D, it did not keep up with the action, my 5DIII was even missing shots with way more speed than the 6D. my 1dIII nailed it but the buffer is a pain, the 7d was the best of the bunch. The point is the dogs do things very random and you cant guarantee what will happen next where sports with humans are more predictable, pelicans are easy to follow even with my point and shoot. I think the original statement is pushing it a little, the 7d is way better suited to sports than the 6d. The 6d is a nice camera but hardly the one Id buy if i shot a lot of sports

FUJI XT3 CANON 5D3 & a bunch of lenses for both
https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 08, 2014 09:09 |  #113
bannedPermanent ban

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16743153 (external link)
Then logically it follows that the same comment applies to the 7D, with even more AF points with all of them being cross-type, a better burst rate, larger buffer, and more pixels on target if you are reach-restricted. All of this equates to higher keeper rate for those out there that consistently shoot sports, week after week. The only negative really is the 7D's 2 stop worse ISO performance, and that is something that has to be worked around.

That very well may be. I don't CLAIM to know of the 7D's AF system. Don't own one. Never used one. Never said anything against the 7D. I simply believe most people are using the 6D's AF system incorrectly.

Dave

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 08, 2014 10:43 as a reply to  @ post 16743017 |  #114

What a bizarre thread. Read the whole thing. I'm sorry, Teamspeed, you'll never get all of that time back.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,995 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 08, 2014 10:52 |  #115

kfreels wrote in post #16743370 (external link)
What a bizarre thread. Read the whole thing. I'm sorry, Teamspeed, you'll never get all of that time back.

Nope, and I know is best to just ignore certain replies. I am going to stop hitting that "view post" link. :)

Welcome to yet another "fun" party!

EDIT: removing the AMASS references and moving to AMASS thread

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 08, 2014 11:18 |  #116
bannedPermanent ban

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16743386 (external link)
Nope, and I know is best to just ignore certain replies. I am going to stop hitting that "view post" link. :) I will have to ask Pekka once the new beta test opens up for AMASS to maybe make it an option to completely filter posts from view that you have marked for ignore, as well as the quoted replies from that member. It would be a cleaner implementation, and possibly stop so much of the derailing that goes on, especially since I have no propensity for leaving certain replies alone. :lol:

Welcome to yet another "fun" party!

I totally agree. If people are saying things we don't want to hear we should just be able to put our fingers in our ears and chant...la la la la la.

Dave

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 08, 2014 13:56 |  #117

Dave; you are a lonely voice in the wilderness. Son't despair, keep going and you will be heard. Why people do not want to hear what you are saying is beyond me.

6D, 5D, 7Dii, Eos R and too many lenses, flashes and aux. gear to list!:cool:
A simple hobby gone horribily wrong

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 08, 2014 14:25 |  #118
bannedPermanent ban

GregoryF wrote in post #16743699 (external link)
Dave; you are a lonely voice in the wilderness. Son't despair, keep going and you will be heard. Why people do not want to hear what you are saying is beyond me.

Lone voice? Humor me...regarding what? Might you you have your fingers in your ears. We understand....after all, your leader has spoken.

Dave

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 08, 2014 15:54 |  #119

Bakewell wrote in post #16743737 (external link)
Lone voice? Humor me...regarding what? Might you you have your fingers in your ears. We understand....after all, your leader has spoken.

Actually I was agreeing with you, not against you. Maybe you need to be more understanding?;)

6D, 5D, 7Dii, Eos R and too many lenses, flashes and aux. gear to list!:cool:
A simple hobby gone horribily wrong

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 08, 2014 16:00 |  #120
bannedPermanent ban

GregoryF wrote in post #16743913 (external link)
Actually I was agreeing with you, not against you. Maybe you need to be more understanding?;)

I'm a little worked up, I apologize...

and the Angels are losing....

Dave

sponsored links

37,167 views & 0 likes for this thread
My 6D is a lot better sports camera than my 7d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.