Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 05 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 18:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

moonlight

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 05, 2014 18:34 |  #1

Would appreciate your impressions of this scene...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i329.photobucke​t.com …ncey43/full-moon-copy.jpg (external link)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

sponsored links
Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 06, 2014 04:31 |  #2

I take my hat off to those able to use their imagination, so well done but I'd crop the huge dark area at the top a little to conform with the rule of thirds.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

David

Qbx
Goldmember
3,959 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 06, 2014 05:01 |  #3

I think the footprints or tracks in the distance should be smaller and closer together.

-- Image Editing OK --

chauncey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 06, 2014 08:36 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #4

I think the footprints or tracks in the distance should be smaller and closer together

Aah...they're deer tracks...have you never watched their movement in the wild? :rolleyes:

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 08, 2014 02:42 |  #5

Woodworker wrote in post #16738175 (external link)
I take my hat off to those able to use their imagination, so well done but I'd crop the huge dark area at the top a little to conform with the rule of thirds.

*for the TLDR version, scroll down to the bottom*

I'd crop the dark area too, but I have to nitpick about something here. I wouldn't crop it to adhere to the rule of thirds. I'd crop it because there's not a whole lot going on up there, and I don't think that a large blank void benefits this image.

And I feel a little bit bad harping on this, because I actually agree: crop the top. But language influences thought, saying that something is a rule makes people think they have to do it, and then that's further reinforced when people say to do X to an image in order to adhere to the rule.

IMO, that's a little bit backwards, because there are no rules (and even that's sort of a rule). The rule of thirds isn't a mandate to do that, it's a suggestion that doing that can often result in more aesthetically pleasing images. I think people really need to try to get past that, to better understand and explain WHY images are or are not working, without simply citing the "rule". I agree: crop the top. But surely we can find a better way of expressing why the top should be cropped. Telling someone to do something because "it's the rule" doesn't lead to any kind of better understanding.

But yeah, the image. I like it. Beautiful contours and such, I love the contrast, the organic and delicate nature of the landscape constrasts well with the footsteps, thus illustrating a pretty interesting duality: the smallness of mankind's scale within the grandeur of nature, while simultaneously illustrating the effect that persists from man's involvment. Maybe that's a bit too specific, it sort of sounds like I'm some environmentalist nut or something. To explain it more abstractly, this is a picture of what's here, and its relationship to what was here before. It's presence contrasted with absence. I think that's a really freaking cool concept, and it works well here. Personally I think that the highlights are a bit too gray, I think that maybe a bit more postprocessing work could be done. But I love the image, I just think it looks a bit off technically.

Or, at least that's my initial take. Maybe I'm completely wrong here. After all, I don't really have a handle on this stuff myself. But can we please actually start to make more concrete and objective statements that actually CAN be demonstrated to be wrong? Saying that an image adheres to a "rule" is pretty concrete, it's hard to appeal to a rule and then be wrong. But it's easy to appeal to a rule for the sake of following a rule, and then not giving any input on why the image really is or isn't any better.

But yeah..crop the top.

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 08, 2014 07:20 |  #6

I can fully accept and indeed agree with your thoughts Clean Gene. I was guilty of not making myself sufficiently clear in meaning the rule - perhaps an unfortunate term - should apply in this instance but not always.

As I have said in some other critiques, I like photographers who aren't afraid to be imaginative and inventive.

I should also state that I'm an old codger in England who first learnt photography way back in the Sixties, so maybe I need cobwebs knocking off me now and again :)

David

chauncey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 08, 2014 07:24 as a reply to  @ Woodworker's post |  #7

Are you guys suggesting that the "sky" portion be deleted all together? :confused:

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 08, 2014 07:29 |  #8

chauncey wrote in post #16743026 (external link)
Are you guys suggesting that the "sky" portion be deleted all together? :confused:

No, I'm certainly not but I'm just suggesting some cropping.

David

chauncey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 08, 2014 08:43 as a reply to  @ Woodworker's post |  #9

Aah...when I print, it's on metal, therefore maintaining standard sizing is something I take into consideration when doing any cropping.
Sooo...what else, beyond part of the sky, would need to go?

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,833 posts
Gallery: 501 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 08, 2014 09:21 |  #10

I like the texture, shapes and tracks in this image. I agree with cropping the sky but I also try to stick with standard sizes. Taking some off the right too would work to meet both objectives. It takes a couple well defined shapes away but those are not the main subjects IMO. It makes the trail a stronger subject.

This image also leaves me with questions. Is it sand or snow? With the dynamic range being so compressed it is hard to tell.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!" Ansel Adams

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 08, 2014 11:28 |  #11

If you really have to crop, other than leaving the image as it was originally, perhaps you'll crop a little off the left and a lot off the right but it does spoil a very good image.

I've cropped it to a 4:5 ratio. You could of course crop to 4:6 whichever is the current standard.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

David

twincitybulldog
653 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 08, 2014 12:30 |  #12

I'm not a professional but I like the original without any cropping...

Canon EOS 1DX Mkii Canon EOS 7D MKll,
Canon 100-400 IS llL,Canon 24-105L Canon EF 17-40 f/4L
EF 400mm F4 DO ISll, Canon EF50mm F/1.4 EF500F4 IS
Walter

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 08, 2014 12:50 |  #13

twincitybulldog wrote in post #16743574 (external link)
I'm not a professional but I like the original without any cropping...

A better option than cropping the sides m'thinks :)

David

sarch99
339 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 08, 2014 13:18 |  #14

I love the picture.....it's so moody and surreal. As to the sky, rather than cropping, could you somehow bring out the visibility of the clouds a bit more?

Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.

juscuz
826 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 10, 2014 20:44 |  #15

I like this image a lot, I do agree that the sky could stand a little cropping down, but not at the expense of losing any of the foreground. The example given by woodworker eliminates too much of the hilly areas which in my opinion add 'interestingness'.

sponsored links

2,271 views & 0 likes for this thread
moonlight
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.