Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Sep 2005 (Tuesday) 12:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: -=FAQ=- Teleconverter/T-Con Tele extender Discussion

RAW-Shooter
872 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 15, 2014 08:23 |  #676

Mark K wrote in post #16607301 (external link)
I have just come across this great produce, one made by X pro claiming about 1.7x with two component. By removing the central optical part, the adapter becomes a 25mm ext tube. Optically it is amazingly sharp...it cheats the camera by having a 1.4x TC and I have no problem using it on 100-400L with autofocus on 5D3. Here is one taken by 70-200

Sorry mate. I am lost. What is it you are saying?

Cheers.

BoKo
Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II | Oly 12-60mm f/2.8-4 SWD | Oly 40-150 f/2.8 PRO | Oly 300mm f/4 PRO | and a bunch of good old manual lenses

sponsored links
Mark ­ K
299 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013

Jan 15, 2014 15:25 |  #677

RAW-Shooter wrote in post #16607328 (external link)
Sorry mate. I am lost. What is it you are saying?

Cheers.

Sorry I did not make that clear
I found a 1.7x TC from another maker X Pro http://www.lt-oe.com/ (external link) who has been making a lot of close up adapters/extension tubes
This one looks very like the Canon original TCs

IMAGE: http://www.slrgear.com/articles/canon_tc/canon_tc.jpg
with the central optical part removable. By removing that part, it becomes an extension tube.
BTW, as a TC alone, the quality is very high, better than my old Kenko 300G.

Canon, Nikon, Sony, Minolta, Fujifilm, Sigma, Tamron & Tokina

Mark ­ K
299 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013

Jan 16, 2014 05:34 |  #678

Well, I brought this teleconverter out today to test against my Kenko 1.4..their focal length extending power is the same..

Canon, Nikon, Sony, Minolta, Fujifilm, Sigma, Tamron & Tokina

RodneyCyr
610 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 24, 2014 22:07 as a reply to  @ Mark K's post |  #679

Canon 70D, 70-300L and Kenko Telepro 300 1.4x?

Has anyone tried this combination using the live-view function of the 70D? Theoretically, it should autofocus, as the 70D is supposed to autofocus down to f/11. And, how about the Kenko 2x converter?

Added 2/15/2014

I bought the Kenko 1.4x Telepro 300 and tried it with my 70-300L and 70D. Here is what I found:

Image quality - pretty good even at 300mm (420mm). But when I cropped a 300mm shot without the converter to match the image size of the same subject with the converter, the image quality was nearly identical.

Autofocus - erratic but usually OK, but needed a high-contrast subject even in daylight. In bright room light the lens still autofocused given a high contrast subject. (I can make the same statement about the lens without the teleconverter.)

Image Stabilization - worked well. One of my indoor shots was at 1/4 second and reasonably good, although not perfect.

Live View - did not help autofocus much. I find that autofocus is slow in this mode, even without the teleconverter and with all of my lenses.

EXIF Image Information - accurately reported - aperture showed as f/8, the actual effective aperture at 300mm using the teleconverter.

My Overall Conclusion - Although the converter worked better than I expected, I decided not to keep it. As I could get the same image quality without the teleconverter by cropping the image, I could not see the value.

Canon 80D, 70D, 60D, Canon 10-22EFs, 15-85EFS IS, Sigma 18-300, 70-300L IS, Canon 60mm EFs Macro, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, Rokinon 85/1.4, 550EX flash, Olympus TG2 underwater P&S
Postprocessing: DxO11, DxO Viewpoint 3, Paint Shop Pro X9
Speak softly and carry a big zoom.

RAW-Shooter
872 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 24, 2014 22:13 |  #680

RodneyCyr wrote in post #16634659 (external link)
Has anyone tried this combination using the live-view function of the 70D? Theoretically, it should autofocus, as the 70D is supposed to autofocus down to f/11. And, how about the Kenko 2x converter?

Only 1D bodies and the 5dIII can AF at f/8. The 70D has the same AF system as the 7D, they just added another different AF system for video. Other than that the 70D AF system is limited to f/5.6

Cheers.

BoKo
Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II | Oly 12-60mm f/2.8-4 SWD | Oly 40-150 f/2.8 PRO | Oly 300mm f/4 PRO | and a bunch of good old manual lenses

sploo
premature adulation
2,265 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 25, 2014 05:54 |  #681

RAW-Shooter wrote in post #16634674 (external link)
Only 1D bodies and the 5dIII can AF at f/8. The 70D has the same AF system as the 7D, they just added another different AF system for video. Other than that the 70D AF system is limited to f/5.6

Cheers.

The dual pixel live view phase AF on the 70D can be used for stills though surely? Not sure how fast it would be with a small aperture, but I understand it'll work beyond f/5.6.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 25, 2014 08:03 |  #682

sploo wrote in post #16635209 (external link)
The dual pixel live view phase AF on the 70D can be used for stills though surely? Not sure how fast it would be with a small aperture, but I understand it'll work beyond f/5.6.

Yes, indeed. Actually, the LiveView AF on bodies like the 7D will work at f8 and beyond. Just not very fast. I gather the 70D dual-pixel magic is faster, but that it slows down quite a bit past f11.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,265 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 25, 2014 09:49 |  #683

hollis_f wrote in post #16635367 (external link)
Yes, indeed. Actually, the LiveView AF on bodies like the 7D will work at f8 and beyond. Just not very fast. I gather the 70D dual-pixel magic is faster, but that it slows down quite a bit past f11.

Thanks.

I suppose the live view AF on DSLRs other than the 70D are using contrast detection, so it's more about having enough light and/or detail than specifically the fstop.

If I understand phase AF correctly, at a larger fstop there isn't enough distance/phase between readings for the AF sensor to work, but the 70D's dual pixel AF is more forgiving.

RAW-Shooter
872 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 25, 2014 10:04 |  #684

Disclaimer: I rarely use Live View or video.

There are not many lenses with a max aperture of f/8, let alone slower. You only get into that pinch if your lens is a f/5.6 and you add a reporting TC. Then you are at f/8 or slower. Canon cameras always use the max aperture for metering and AF and then stop down when you take the picture. Except for 1D and 5DmkIII no other camera will work in these circumstances.

I have no idea how this works in Live View / video and then snapping a still during that condition. Maybe I will try that later today.

Cheers.

BoKo

sploo
premature adulation
2,265 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 25, 2014 10:35 |  #685

RAW-Shooter wrote in post #16635571 (external link)
Disclaimer: I rarely use Live View or video.

There are not many lenses with a max aperture of f/8, let alone slower. You only get into that pinch if your lens is a f/5.6 and you add a reporting TC. Then you are at f/8 or slower. Canon cameras always use the max aperture for metering and AF and then stop down when you take the picture. Except for 1D and 5DmkIII no other camera will work in these circumstances.

I have no idea how this works in Live View / video and then snapping a still during that condition. Maybe I will try that later today.

Cheers.

I guess AF during video recording would have to use the shooting aperture. There are also people discussing stills with a 2x TC on f/5.6 lenses, which is probably asking for trouble, but it would be interesting to see if it would work on a 70D.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
6,683 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 10, 2014 07:02 as a reply to  @ sploo's post |  #686

From time to time, I read references made to a white Tamron teleconverter, as a quality t-con, yet, I can't find it anywhere on the web to buy. Is that an old/discountinued Tamron teleconverter? If so, is there a newer model with the same quality? Link?
TIA

hrblaine
284 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 17, 2014 15:06 |  #687

"Kenko 1.4X Teleplus DG Pro 300 TC with Canon 70-300 IS USM"

I use that combo and it works for me.

hotled
423 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 08, 2014 16:35 |  #688

Ok so been wading thru the thread and just need to ask....

What TC would you recommend for this setup so I can get reach for some birds and sports.
Probably a 1.4x used with 7D and Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM.
Will everything function properly..ie AF, IA servo, shoot at least at f4?

Ken
Canon 7D | ∑ 17-50 f/2.8 | Canon EF 50 1.8 | Σ 70-200 2.8 EX DG OS HSM| YN-568EX II | YN-622
My Fickr (external link)

lauderdalems
758 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 08, 2014 16:51 |  #689

I've been shooting college baseball and birds with a white Tamron 1.4x on a 7D with a Canon 70-200 2.8 with no problem and been very happy with the results.

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

hotled
423 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 08, 2014 17:38 |  #690

lauderdalems wrote in post #16744010 (external link)
I've been shooting college baseball and birds with a white Tamron 1.4x on a 7D with a Canon 70-200 2.8 with no problem and been very happy with the results.

Thanks I was looking at the Sigma version and Kenko version as well, I may go Sigma since that's the lens I will be using it on or are the others just as good or better?

Ken
Canon 7D | ∑ 17-50 f/2.8 | Canon EF 50 1.8 | Σ 70-200 2.8 EX DG OS HSM| YN-568EX II | YN-622
My Fickr (external link)

sponsored links

281,909 views & 1 like for this thread
-=FAQ=- Teleconverter/T-Con Tele extender Discussion
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.