Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Mar 2014 (Saturday) 12:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Micro adjust question for a 20d

jmcder53
352 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 08, 2014 12:30 |  #1

My understanding is that there is no way to adjust the 20d. Does that mean any lens that would require this will not be as sharp? I've had people look at my photos and say they look soft. Of course they are handheld and I haven't tried any real testing with a tripod.

The reason I ask is I'm looking at a 70-200 and was going to rent a sigma and canon but can I get a good comparison with the 20d?

I know people have mixed feelings about third party lenses but I know there are pros that use them so they can't all be that bad. But maybe I need more education on the topic

Canon 5D III, 17-40 f4, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8, 600 ex rt flash

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,256 posts
Gallery: 1674 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 08, 2014 12:42 |  #2

Heya,

Right, there's no MFA on the 20d. But that's not going to fix any problem, it can just help with a consistent problem. If the lens severely back focuses/front focuses, you're in for a problem.

There's a lot more to sharpness than simply adjusting focus. It could be your shutter speed, vibration, lack of IS/VC/OS, being handheld. Since you say you have no even tried with a tripod yet to rule these things out, and literally just look at it's ability to focus without vibration in play, I say you try that first before you worry about anything. So get on a tripod, focus with autofocus, and try with manual focus. Use a timer or shutter release so that you're not touching the camera when it fires. If the images are pretty sharp, then it's not your camera/lens, it's just your use.

I'd look into the EF 70-200 F4L IS or the Tamron 70-200 F2.8 VC. Similar cost range.

But test on a tripod before you buy. And buy from a place you can easily return it.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 08, 2014 12:59 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #3

You should still be able to get sharp shots without MFA unless there is a significant mismatch between the body and the lens. If that is the case, you can always have the lens calibrated to match the body, which does the same thing as MFA but needs to be sent in to be done by a technician, rather than doing it yourself.

People were getting sharp shots before MFA became available, I myself used a 20D for several years and got sharp shots from it with all my lenses, with the exception of the 28-135mm (which wasn't a good lens) and that was solved by replacing it with a 24-105L which sharpened things up nicely.

I see that you list the 75-300 amongst your lenses, that has a reputation for being one of the worst lenses Canon have made, and is likely to be soft unless stopped down to a small aperture, MFA would be of no help there. Replacing it with ANY 70-200 should show an improvement in quality.

As mentioned above, there are many, many possible causes for shots to be slightly soft though, so it is as much down to good technique as good glass. I have had three bodies without MFA, and have several lenses and got sharp results from all (apart from the 28-135) so MFA isn't a necessity. Indeed, I now have a body which DOES have MFA, yet I have never felt a need to fiddle with it. I'm not saying that there aren't combinations of individual bodies and lenses that don't work well together, and can be improved with MFA, or even cases where MFA has been useful on all a photographers lenses (perhaps the body was at the edge of tolerance in one direction and there lenses were all centred or on the other side). What I am saying is that lack of MFA shouldn't mean that you can't get sharp shots.

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 08, 2014 13:28 |  #4

I have arthritis and couldnt take clean shots without image stabilization. It just cant happen for me. I sold the 1D MK III and the L lenses long ago and recently went back to DSLR with a nearly NIB NOS 30D and I went ahead and got the STM version of the 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS and I couldnt be happier. You dont have to go pro to get satisfactory images if you arent selling them for a living. Image stabilization has made photography possible for me again.

jmcder53
THREAD ­ STARTER
352 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 09, 2014 03:17 |  #5

I might not have updated my signature but the 28-80 and 75-300 kit lenses have pretty much been retired. I keep them with my film camera.

Right now I have the 17-40 F4, 50 f1.4 and the 85 1.8 canon lenses. I like them all.
For me, it seems anything over 400 ISO has a lot of noise. I was taking pictures of a friend, engagement type photos, in the afternoon and it was a lot of shade so I had to use a slow shutter speed. It's not so much my hands, but more like I sway when trying to stand still and I get some blur. Maybe I should try yoga.
I do plan on this being a career so I want to get good equipment.

Thanks for the info.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 09, 2014 06:27 as a reply to  @ jmcder53's post |  #6

I have lenses that required a bit micro focusing on my 50D spot on on my 20D and 700D.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Trumper
926 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 09, 2014 06:50 as a reply to  @ yogestee's post |  #7

Hi, :) If you post a photo of what you mean by soft maybe someone can help.I have the non L 75-300 lens and if the photo is sharpened up afterwards it is plenty good enough.
I "think" Canons default to quite soft images anyway-happy to be corrected if wrong.
Is the problem mis focus or just soft?

dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 09, 2014 09:07 |  #8

20D 3200 ISO SOOC I know not a great shot I had just got my 20D and was testing it's high ISO .

IMAGE: http://i48.tinypic.com/2wevx3t.jpg

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/ (external link)

say_cheese
789 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 09, 2014 15:29 |  #9

mastertech01 wrote in post #16743668 (external link)
I have arthritis and couldnt take clean shots without image stabilization. It just cant happen for me. I sold the 1D MK III and the L lenses long ago and recently went back to DSLR with a nearly NIB NOS 30D and I went ahead and got the STM version of the 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS and I couldnt be happier. You dont have to go pro to get satisfactory images if you arent selling them for a living. Image stabilization has made photography possible for me again.

What was the issue with the 1D mk III? NIB NOS 30D, whats that?

Tools: I like things with real dials and knobs.

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 09, 2014 15:31 |  #10

say_cheese wrote in post #16745939 (external link)
What was the issue with the 1D mk III? NIB NOS 30D, whats that?

New In Box New Old Stock Canon 30D camera.
Nothing wrong with 1D MK III, problem is arthritis. 1D MK III with L lenses too heavy.

jmcder53
THREAD ­ STARTER
352 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 10, 2014 00:06 as a reply to  @ mastertech01's post |  #11

I'll post some example pics in the next day or so.

sponsored links

1,982 views & 0 likes for this thread
Micro adjust question for a 20d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.