Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 06 Mar 2014 (Thursday) 14:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

School Auditorium Photo Criticism

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 07, 2014 13:48 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

glasllyn wrote in post #16741589 (external link)
Yes, that's what I used, but to no good end.

I'd recommend going easy on that one. It won't recover highlights that are blown out in all three channels; and if pushed too high it will start messing up the mid-tones, whilst muddling the very highlights it's trying to recover. You see, when info in one channel is nuked, the tool will try to bring down detail by 'importing' it from the remaining channels that still contain data: the pink cast might be due to the tool pulling too much from the red channel. You, alas, cannot selectively control this, hence the best approach is to get it right in camera. That being said, in conditions where the dynamic range is naturally high (i.e. where these photographs were made) some highlights will blow out and some shadows will be pure black: that's unavoidable; the only control you have is in deciding how much or how large the highlights should blow out. A tiny white spot on someone's face is hardly a big deal, but the whole cheek nuked is.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 07, 2014 13:53 |  #17

glasllyn wrote in post #16741598 (external link)
I do not use that, and I'm dumb for ignoring the histogram. There's so much to learn.

Go into your menu and turn on the highlight alert option. Do it right now :) And get comfy using the histogram. Dont fall into the trap of using your LCD review image to determine exposure. It's very dependent on viewing conditions and it can fool you. The Combo of the highlight alert (blinkies) and occasionally glancing at the histogram will help. Also I dont know your approach but if you are trying to do the stage shots where the light is consistent, you might want to switch to Manual mode so once you get it right you dont have to worry about the balance between dark uniform and bright face messing up your metering.

glasllyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 07, 2014 13:59 |  #18

"Do it right now And get comfy using the histogram."

Roger that. Task completed. Is the brightness histogram the best bet for this type of issue?

5d II, 70-200L IS f/2.8, Canon 35 f/2, Canon 100 f/2.8,Canon 50 1.8, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 07, 2014 14:00 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

glasllyn wrote in post #16741598 (external link)
I do not use that, and I'm dumb for ignoring the histogram. There's so much to learn.

Do use the histogram as a tool to evaluate clipping.

Do not use it as an exposure method. There's no such thing as a 'right' histogram.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 07, 2014 14:01 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

glasllyn wrote in post #16741645 (external link)
"Do it right now And get comfy using the histogram."

Roger that. Task completed. Is the brightness histogram the best bet for this type of issue?

The RGB is best. It will tell you which channels, if any, are clipped. The brightness might be quicker to check in rapid shooting conditions, though.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 07, 2014 14:03 |  #21

Keep in mind I said to get comfy with the histogram, meaning read up on how it works and what it tells you. As mentioned above there is no correct histogram, but it can tell you a lot once you start to understand how it works.

glasllyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
98 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 07, 2014 14:05 |  #22

Thanks to all!

5d II, 70-200L IS f/2.8, Canon 35 f/2, Canon 100 f/2.8,Canon 50 1.8, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8.

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,498 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 09, 2014 20:11 |  #23

The 3rd one, of the conductor, is flippin' great if you ask me!

Body: Canon 5DmkII│Canon M50
Glass: Tamron 35mm f/1.4│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L│Canon EF-M 22mm f/2.0
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,477 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 09, 2014 22:45 |  #24

The 3rd one, of the conductor, is flippin' great if you ask me!

Hmmmm, I see a neck. Now if he was flipped around the other direction this could be a keeper. Sometimes we fall so much in love with the lighting that we lose track of the intended subject.

Performance pics can be difficult because they involve a lot of patience to get a nice composition and a good expression. The drummer is your strongest image, but he should have the air in front of him. Now if there was a hand with drumstick showing over the cymbal with this crop, you'd have a winner.

shaynec
22 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 10, 2014 01:02 as a reply to  @ texkam's post |  #25

I believe you can change your settings in flickr to control who has access to them.

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 10, 2014 08:53 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

Keep in mind Lightroom upgraded their process in version 4. They improved the highlight module and it works a lot better now. You can literally set it at -100 and it won't be nearly as dramatic as your samples.

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,498 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 10, 2014 14:04 |  #27

texkam wrote in post #16746956 (external link)
Hmmmm, I see a neck. Now if he was flipped around the other direction this could be a keeper. Sometimes we fall so much in love with the lighting that we lose track of the intended subject.

So are you saying that a persons face has to be in the shot in order for a photo of a person to be a keeper? I'd have to disagree especcially in the context of what was being photographed. Of course it's all subjective but if that were a photo of me conducting I'd be happy to hang a photo like that in my office even if it wasn't a full face shot. There's enough face showing to be recognizable and the B&W conversion is very elegant and appropriate for that photo IMO.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│Canon M50
Glass: Tamron 35mm f/1.4│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L│Canon EF-M 22mm f/2.0
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,477 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 10, 2014 15:22 |  #28

So are you saying that a persons face has to be in the shot in order for a photo of a person to be a keeper?

No, of course not. In the OP's photo, had the light been illuminating his glasses and facial features along with the hands, and both of those would have been in tack sharp focus with the neck being soft, it could have made for a lovely shot. Unlike a studio shoot where one could just move the lighting, shooting a live performance involves a good eye to see those compositions and the patience to wait for them to present themselves. The OP's 3rd and 4th image are a good start in finding these compositions.

sponsored links

4,293 views & 0 likes for this thread
School Auditorium Photo Criticism
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.