Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Mar 2014 (Friday) 20:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GPS

Chef678
70 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 07, 2014 20:38 |  #1

what is the best unit to use for geo tracking photos.for the 5d mkiii.

sponsored links
rebby
216 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 07, 2014 20:58 |  #2

Canon GP-E2 (external link)

I LOVE mine. Check out a recent thread discussing it that includes quite a few details.

Curt Rebelein, Junior
http://rebby.com (external link)

hawkan
73 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 08, 2014 05:42 |  #3

I use my iPhone (various apps available both for Android and iPhone) and sync the GPS track with the photos in Lightroom. Or when I use my 6D I simply use the built-in one, even if it has a tendency to consume a lot of power.

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 08, 2014 13:17 |  #4

rebby wrote in post #16742400 (external link)
Canon GP-E2 (external link)

I LOVE mine. Check out a recent thread discussing it that includes quite a few details.

Agree 100% Prior to using the GP-E2, I used my phone or a separate GPS tracker. The GP-E2 is by far the easiest to use, since it tags the photos directly on capture. Well worth the money if you like geotagging your photos.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
3,059 posts
Gallery: 1398 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 08, 2014 15:36 |  #5

I use a Bad Elf GPS Pro ( works with iOS). It has 30 hour battery life.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 08, 2014 16:06 |  #6

I use both the GP-E2 and a Garmin eTrex 30. The eTrex 30 gives a more accurate track due to a larger antenna, but the GP-E2 embeds the data into the CR2 files. Merging the eTrex data to the files (via .xmp sidecar, as Adobe does) is seamless with Downloader Pro, which I use anyhow to add the other metadata (titles, copyright info, keywords, categories) to my images. The hand-held also gives me a base map I can use to get back to where I started in a strange place.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Chef678
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 08, 2014 20:29 |  #7

Jon is it hard to link up the too. gps unit ans camera?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 09, 2014 09:25 |  #8

The Garmin? I don't connect it to the camera. Just plug it in to a USB port on the computer while I run my downloads. The GP-E2 just slides into the hot shoe of the (supported) cameras, except for the 7D. For that you need to use the supplied custom USB cable to connect the GP-E2 to the camera's USB port. You can connect other supported cameras to the GP-E2 that way as well, if you need the hot shoe for other things (like, say, a flash).

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Chef678
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 10, 2014 11:47 |  #9

so there is no way to have the garmin do both.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 10, 2014 12:02 |  #10

Personally, I think the Canon GP-E2 is expensive for what it does, so I just take a snapshot with my iPhone at each location and merge the data in Aperture. It's real easy to do. (You can do the same in Lightroom too.)

Bryan

My Gear List

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 10, 2014 12:05 |  #11

Chef678 wrote in post #16748049 (external link)
so there is no way to have the garmin do both.

Well, you could buy Canon's WFT-E7 and a GPS receiver that supports Bluetooth . . .

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

Chef678
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 10, 2014 18:44 |  #12

they do not make a hand held gps unit in Bluetooth.i wish they did.

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 11, 2014 00:54 |  #13

I'm using a similar approach to Jon. I have an older etrex that I always have on me when shooting. All I have to do is turn it on. It tracks where I am. I take a picture of my GPS; and that allows me to correct for any time issues and correct the delta. I merge the data into my files using Gpicsync from google. I'm kinda a map nut... so I also get a track and an elevation profile for each photo journey I'm on as well.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

Chef678
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 11, 2014 04:55 |  #14

somebody should make a software that would bring to units ,camera and handheld gps unit together. i have the gp-e2 for 235.00 it is not a good buy.. it would be nice to have a unit that you could go back to a sight and shot some more.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 11, 2014 08:34 |  #15

Chef678 wrote in post #16749088 (external link)
they do not make a hand held gps unit in Bluetooth.i wish they did.

Garmin may not, but other do. My BGT-31 is a handheld GPS logger with Bluetooth. And a quick Google shows several others.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links

2,384 views & 0 likes for this thread
GPS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.