Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Mar 2014 (Friday) 04:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

issues using Backup to NAS

birderman
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 07, 2014 04:39 |  #1

this problem doesn't necessarily relate directly to photography but it is the system I currently use for backing up all my photos.

I have a NAS drive which I use for backups. I run backup software on desktop or other PC connected to the my home network...due to the large number of files that I need to backup the procedure can take several hours so I normally leave it running over night.

However, quite frequently I find that the backup has failed with error message similar to 'the network drive or file is not available'. This error seems to occur at different times for no discernible reason and when it does occur the backup software cancels the backup and removes any of the backup files it has created thus far. The most successful way to backup so far is to do it in smaller and time consuming chunks.

I believe this is a problem with Windows network configuration/options as I have had the same issues regardless of Windows version (XP, 7 and 8.1) or NAS drive (Buffalo, WD, or Seagate have been tried) or even the different backup software that has been tried. I have searched the internet for solution but just get bamboozled by the number of inaccurate search results or non-applicable suggestions. Hopefully someone on these forums has had similar issues or has experience enough to suggest a possible solution.

Thanks in advance for help.

Birderman
London, UK
my photos on Flickr (external link)
My Website (external link) or my Facebook - KishWphotos (external link)

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,211 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 07, 2014 06:08 |  #2

is your computer set to go to sleep at any point? how about your network connection? there's a checkbox that says to turn off the device to save power.

what model NAS do you have?

I use a standard USB 3.0 Single external drive for a local backup, and Crashplan for off-site backup of my files.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

cagenuts
860 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 08, 2014 22:20 |  #3

birderman, I also think you need to check that setting on your nic.

The other change I would make is to amend your backup configuration to only copy incremental changes which should speed things up drastically.

...Ask me anything, I'm an ultracrepidarian.
Hilton

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 11, 2014 00:58 |  #4

Are you connected wirelessly or wired? our company has had issues with sustained large file transfers on some Lenovo laptop models, but hardwired to the same router everything is fine. Any chance you can connect with a lan cable to router to main pc/buffalo and try again?

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

858 views & 0 likes for this thread
issues using Backup to NAS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.