Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Jun 2013 (Monday) 22:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 1DX & 1DC service notice

Rotation360
21 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 08, 2013 04:38 |  #271

MDJAK wrote in post #16182582 (external link)
3 days and no shooting? Hmm, wonder what can be keeping you busy. :lol:

As for this recall, reading the horror stories here, I think not. I got mine new a year ago and probably have shot less than 2k. It is perfect. I ain't about to let them f it up.

Amen to that, Brother. My thoughts exactly

sponsored links
MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
19,509 posts
Gallery: 1869 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 08, 2013 05:14 |  #272

NotASpeckOfCereal thanks for the candid. Fact is I'm in the Canon world for better or worse...vested to the nth degree...so gamble or not, well I'll just cross the fingers that the ones on the shelves are good to go...and can't buy until this tax year ends December anyway. Not that far off really.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

NotASpeckOfCereal
294 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 08, 2013 06:55 |  #273

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #16434146 (external link)
NotASpeckOfCereal thanks for the candid. Fact is I'm in the Canon world for better or worse...vested to the nth degree...so gamble or not, well I'll just cross the fingers that the ones on the shelves are good to go...and can't buy until this tax year ends December anyway. Not that far off really.

yeah don't worry - it's a true First World problem right here. My 1DX was perfect, but I sent it in anyway and it came back with a small issue as a result. Issue was caused by the repair as a side effect - there's f** all wrong with the 1DX.

Gear List

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,724 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 08, 2013 07:01 |  #274

call me a liar, ok. ;-)a (geez, hope the title fairy doesn't see that one. Seriously.)

Two weeks ago I was on my way to a weekend wedding in Washington DC so I took my 1Dx to Canon in Jamesburg, NJ for the recall service.

Just as an aside, amazing how antiquated the desk service is. Very nice tech though. But they hand you a piece of paper to fill in describing the reason for your visit. Ya think they might have an ipad or computer terminal? Also, I had a RRS plate on the bottom. He asked me for an allen wrench. I said I didn't have one so he went in the back and got one. :oops:

Anyway, they did the service very quickly and I had the camera shipped back, their expense, in about four days or so. Haven't really had a chance to use it. Also, unless I'm missing it, I don't see any marking in the battery compartment indicating it was done, but I do have the receipt.

Main reason I brought it in is for future resale value, in case potential buyers wanted to know if it was done, though this is probably the least publicized and known recall yet. :lol:

mark

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,724 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 08, 2013 07:03 |  #275

Great shot.

Voaky999 wrote in post #16204474 (external link)
Finally gave it a thorough workout last week post service. Seems to be working fine.
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …donvoaklander/9​497183455/  (external link)
AE3R8944 (external link) by Don Voaklander (external link), on Flickr[/IMG]

ohammond
46 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 28, 2013 20:14 |  #276

Had the advisory notice on mine done the week it came out and despite this the issue is still occurring to the point where the mirrorbox needs to be replaced. I'm asking for a new body as its still under warranty (7 months, 70K frames) and i'm deeming it "not fit for purpose" under our consumer protection laws. So far Canon has indicated that they will replace the camera - but until that happens...

Plenty of horror stories of people having mirror box replaced and the same issue occurring.

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21155652/Screen%20Shot%202013-11-29%20at%201.08.52%20PM.jpg

1Dx, 1Ds3, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85L II, 300 2.8L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, Fujifilm XPro1/35 1.4, Hasselblad Xpan/40 4.0

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Gallery: 1655 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 28, 2013 22:10 |  #277

ohammond wrote in post #16487306 (external link)
Had the advisory notice on mine done the week it came out and despite this the issue is still occurring to the point where the mirrorbox needs to be replaced. I'm asking for a new body as its still under warranty (7 months, 70K frames) and i'm deeming it "not fit for purpose" under our consumer protection laws. So far Canon has indicated that they will replace the camera - but until that happens...

Plenty of horror stories of people having mirror box replaced and the same issue occurring.

QUOTED IMAGE

I wonder why that little hook looks as though paint has been rubbed off of it.

Hope Canon gets you squared away. I currently have under 38000 actuations (according to the built-in counter). No sign of wear/tear like yours.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Reservoir_Dog
148 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 10, 2014 22:02 as a reply to  @ jwcdds's post |  #278

After reading all this im not going to buy one.... Shame, i really wanted to buy it....

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Mar 10, 2014 22:09 |  #279

Reservoir_Dog wrote in post #16749508 (external link)
After reading all this im not going to buy one.... Shame, i really wanted to buy it....

Now you have an extra $6000 dollars to play with. :lol: D4s is coming out, maybe that one will catch your fancy instead?

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Tc202
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Gallery: 436 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 10, 2014 22:52 |  #280

Most owners of a 1dX do not have any problems. If you buy a 1dX now, it will not be in the group of cameras that were recalled...

Alotech Camera Bags (external link)

Reservoir_Dog
148 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 11, 2014 05:18 |  #281

jwcdds wrote in post #16749521 (external link)
Now you have an extra $6000 dollars to play with. :lol: D4s is coming out, maybe that one will catch your fancy instead?

I love the canon colors more...

Reservoir_Dog
148 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 11, 2014 05:19 |  #282

Tc202 wrote in post #16749591 (external link)
Most owners of a 1dX do not have any problems. If you buy a 1dX now, it will not be in the group of cameras that were recalled...

Yes i was thinking the same, if i buy one now, maybe i have one from a good batch....

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,115 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 11, 2014 05:22 as a reply to  @ Reservoir_Dog's post |  #283

I bought mine last year, and it was made after those who were into the recall.

Anders

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Mar 11, 2014 08:16 |  #284

I bought mine 14 months ago. Sent in for recall.

Oddly enough, camera is still taking pictures just fine. Maybe I got lucky. ;)

Julian

Bones1974
162 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 11, 2014 08:47 |  #285

I bought one in July last year. It is unaffected by this issue. Bodies with a 1-7, sixth digit from left in the serial number may be affected. I waited until I found a body with 8 as the sixth digit. The camera is phenomenal, you'd be doing yourself a disservice not buying one for a phantom issue.

sponsored links

51,650 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 1DX & 1DC service notice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.