Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 17 Jun 2008 (Tuesday) 12:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

fotodiox grad ND filters

rx7speed
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 17, 2008 12:03 |  #1

I'm in the market for a grad ND filter to help out with some sunset/sunrise shots and I'm alittle cheap little broke right now. saw some grad ND filters from fotodiox on ebay that I was wondering about and if they are any good as I don't really want to spend the 50bucks for a 58mm filter from tiffen/hoya/B&W as these are only 20 bucks shipped.

would there be any reduction in quality using on of these? does anyone maybe have any experience with them?

digital: 7d 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, 17-55 2.8 IS

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 17, 2008 12:34 |  #2

At least they're not round screw-ins. You don't want screw-in grads; you need to be able to adjust where the transition falls to match your composition. I suspect that "organic glass" is the same resin Cokin and most of the other makers of rectangular grads use; I don't know about this brand in particular though. I use the (not cheap) Singh Ray grads.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

rx7speed
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 17, 2008 13:29 |  #3

it seems to be either that or sunpak or EOC which I know little about also

but here is the link at least for the ebay ad for the photodiox.
http://cgi.ebay.com …3A12&_trksid=p3​286.c0.m14 (external link)

the other question I haven is does anyone know a decent telecovertor that might be used on a 58mm ring?
and what is the point of a reverse macro ring?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 17, 2008 13:55 |  #4

Don't get that. It's a screw-in, like Tiffen, Hoya or B+W make. You can't adjust where the transition falls, so you won't be able to compose your picture like you want; you'll have to settle for what the filter will let you get.

Fotodiox makes rectangular filters as well (external link). Used with a Cokin P holder (external link), you'll be able to compose as you want and put the transition where you need it.

A "reverse macro ring" lets you use a good camera lens as a "close-up" or "macro" accessory lens; it threads onto the front of your main lens and another lens so they're facing fron t to front and you can then get a close-up picture with a very highly-corrected optic.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

rx7speed
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 17, 2008 15:23 |  #5

how would that work with if you need to adjust it at an angle rather then just straight top to bottom drag? I'm assuming with that you can just put the screw part in to where it angles the holder.

the other question is how would you make the adjustment for lifting/lowering the the filter?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 17, 2008 15:30 |  #6

The Cokin P holder snaps onto a 58 mm (or other sizes down to at least 49 mm and up to 82 mm) adapter ring and will rotate around that. It has rails on the side that the filter can slide up and down in; there are spring clips to keep the filter where you slide it to. So you can put the transition exactly where you want it. I use the Cokin P holder with my grads.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

mot
82 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 18, 2008 05:56 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

I love my Cokin!. With the P holder, I can use the same filter with my 3 lens.

EOS 40D + Canon EF 18-85 + Canon EF 75-300
---------------

Jason ­ Howell
35 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 11, 2014 10:06 |  #8

I just ordered this fotodiox screw in grad filter - I'll report back when I test it.

sponsored links

4,072 views & 0 likes for this thread
fotodiox grad ND filters
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.