Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 16 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 01:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony's full-frame Alpha 7 and 7R

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,166 posts
Gallery: 112 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Mar 11, 2014 09:24 |  #601

I think I'm going to go with samyang 14 for ultra wide as well. The fact that they make a native e mount version is a bonus.

Just a thought from Daniel
Pictures (external link)
Gear

sponsored links
nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 11, 2014 09:30 |  #602
bannedPermanent ban

is it E or FE (full frame E)?

Gear List

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 11, 2014 10:45 as a reply to  @ nekrosoft13's post |  #603

The true benefit of buying the Samyang 14 with E-mount is that you'll avoid any potential risk of adapter misalignment.

Pretty much all adapters suffer from misalignment, but it is only visible on super-wide focal lengths, like 14mm.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,160 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 11, 2014 14:30 |  #604

Anyone using a wrist/hand strap on your a7/R? I'd like to try one, but not sure what would fit the camera best.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,820 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 11, 2014 14:31 |  #605

Ginga wrote in post #16750549 (external link)
The true benefit of buying the Samyang 14 with E-mount is that you'll avoid any potential risk of adapter misalignment.

Pretty much all adapters suffer from misalignment, but it is only visible on super-wide focal lengths, like 14mm.

What are the consequences of misalignment...vignett​ing? I haven't had an issue using my 17-40 @17mm using the Metabones adapter. I imagine those 3mm less of focal length can make a big difference.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 11, 2014 14:38 |  #606

navydoc wrote in post #16751031 (external link)
What are the consequences of misalignment...vignett​ing? I haven't had an issue using my 17-40 @17mm using the Metabones adapter. I imagine those 3mm less of focal length can make a big difference.

According to Fred Miranda (who went through 3 copies of the Merabones adapter before he found a good one) it is loss of corner sharpness on one side of the frame.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,820 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 11, 2014 14:38 |  #607

David Arbogast wrote in post #16751029 (external link)
Anyone using a wrist/hand strap on your a7/R? I'd like to try one, but not sure what would fit the camera best.

Do you use any kind of a strap now David? I finally took mine off as it seemed to be in my way a lot. Now I'm using a Lowepro Photo Runner 100 Convertible Beltpack/Shoulder Bag to carry the camera + a couple of extra lenses on me instead.

http://www.amazon.com …o02_s00_i00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 11, 2014 17:47 as a reply to  @ KayakPhotos's post |  #608

Wife snapped these of me today!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Sony A7 + Canon 135mm f/2.5 FL lens

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.com (external link)

@dtufino_photo (external link)
flickr (external link)

Nicolas.Goulet
573 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 12, 2014 05:22 |  #609

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Times Square (external link) by Nicolas Goulet Photography (external link), on Flickr

Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Canon 5D Mark II | 135L | 35L | 17-40L | 50 1.8

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,160 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 12, 2014 08:26 |  #610

navydoc wrote in post #16751046 (external link)
Do you use any kind of a strap now David? I finally took mine off as it seemed to be in my way a lot. Now I'm using a Lowepro Photo Runner 100 Convertible Beltpack/Shoulder Bag to carry the camera + a couple of extra lenses on me instead.

http://www.amazon.com …o02_s00_i00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

So far, my a7 and a7R have no straps on at all. I just ordered a toploader Lowepro (external link) sized to fit a7+longest lens with lens shade, which I hope will make it easy and comfortable to carry both cameras with lenses attached (one camera in bag and the other in hand). I would just like to have a measure of protection against accidentally dropping the camera in hand.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Mar 12, 2014 13:05 |  #611

Got the OK from the better half to blow my entire bonus on whatever I want. Hookers and cocaine aside, I was thinking about the A7R and either the 55mm or the 35mm primes. Only thing is, I have a S35 EF mount, so would the 35mm Zeiss be worth it in a native mount vs an adapter and my Sigma?

I am a fan of the 50-ish focal length so I think I might just go that route, especially considering the high performance of the Sony?Zeiss 55 1.8

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

lens ­ pirate
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 12, 2014 13:26 |  #612

gnome chompski wrote in post #16753415 (external link)
Got the OK from the better half to blow my entire bonus on whatever I want. Hookers and cocaine aside, I was thinking about the A7R and either the 55mm or the 35mm primes. Only thing is, I have a S35 EF mount, so would the 35mm Zeiss be worth it in a native mount vs an adapter and my Sigma?

I am a fan of the 50-ish focal length so I think I might just go that route, especially considering the high performance of the Sony?Zeiss 55 1.8

get the A7R and the Sony 55fe. That is a SUPER sweet combo. Next get a adapter for your EOS -glass. Then last start buying Zeiss MF glass. To me this order of purchase makes the most sense.

INSANE GEAR LIST
Sun flare.... the new selective color. JUST SAY NO

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,820 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 12, 2014 14:47 as a reply to  @ lens pirate's post |  #613

Someone was asking about how many focus points there are on the a7r. I'm not sure offhand how many points there are for full auto focus but here's a test I did for spot focusing that I thought I'd share.

The spot focus point can be set to large, medium and small sizes. For a test of edge focus, I moved the small focus point to the far right of the LCD screen and took a shot.

I put the camera on the table aligned like I did when I took the photo and then took an image of the LCD screen. Hopefully you can make out the small brackets that show where the spot focus point is. You should be able to see it on my Flickr page at least.

The focus point.

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3792/13111079703_aec23838b3_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …66040953@N03/13​111079703/  (external link)
LCD showing small spot focus point (external link) by navydoc45 (external link), on Flickr

The image taken.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7314/13111079133_2b96c04d37_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …66040953@N03/13​111079133/  (external link)
small focus point at edge result (external link) by navydoc45 (external link), on Flickr

stevo8
527 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 12, 2014 19:35 |  #614

That's no crop? That's pretty far to the edge. I can't see really needing much more than that for stills. Maybe for video tracking though.

http://500px.com/Steve​nLarman (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,820 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 12, 2014 20:20 |  #615

stevo8 wrote in post #16754229 (external link)
That's no crop? That's pretty far to the edge. I can't see really needing much more than that for stills. Maybe for video tracking though.

No crop. You can see from the shot of the Sony LCD full frame. Also note that the black focus box is on the right side of the shaker top. I was curious so I also moved the focus point straight up from where you see it here and it went as close to the top edge of the frame as it does to the right. I'm very impressed with the amount of area in the frame covered by the small spot focus point.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

126,064 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sony's full-frame Alpha 7 and 7R
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.