Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Mar 2014 (Tuesday) 10:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Now I want a photo vest.... 300mm 2.8 :)

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 11, 2014 10:59 |  #1

So I'm looking at picking up a photo vest Does any vest fit the 300 2.8?  :p

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 11, 2014 15:49 |  #2

I have a Canon branded photo vest, and when loaded correctly, they beat the pants off any pack. But fit a 300 2.8? I highly doubt it and it would put such a drag on the pocket it was in, it'd feel like it was being pulled off you.

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 11, 2014 16:35 |  #3

Ya... the 300 might be a tad much.

But seriously. I'm looking for a decent vest. One like in the POTN store.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,463 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 11, 2014 17:00 as a reply to  @ Talley's post |  #4

How about the Cotton Carrier vest? I use it with my 300 f2.8 II. It's the best large lens carry system I've found.

http://www.cottoncarri​er.com/ (external link)

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 11, 2014 17:57 |  #5

I had the puck of the CC system come loose and my camera dropped to the ground. Thank god it dropped on a pile of leaves about two feet as I was hiking in the woods. No damage at all. I immediately dumped the CC and went to the Spider carrier. I find it a better system IMHO.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,564 posts
Gallery: 170 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 11, 2014 19:11 |  #6

MDJAK wrote in post #16751508 (external link)
I had the puck of the CC system come loose and my camera dropped to the ground. Thank god it dropped on a pile of leaves about two feet as I was hiking in the woods. No damage at all. I immediately dumped the CC and went to the Spider carrier. I find it a better system IMHO.

I remember reading your post about this, and if my recollection is correct your issue was with the original version of CC? I own the later version and it's absolutely solid.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 11, 2014 19:13 |  #7

Please tell me how it's changed. I wanted to like the CC. I'd be interested in any way it's been upgraded.

Thank you.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,564 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 11, 2014 19:15 |  #8

I posted in another thread about wanting a vest -- to go with the CC Vest. I think a photographer's vest would go very nicely with the CC Vest, both from functional and stylistic point of view.

-Goethe
My Gear

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,564 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 11, 2014 19:18 |  #9

MDJAK wrote in post #16751692 (external link)
Please tell me how it's changed. I wanted to like the CC. I'd be interested in any way it's been upgraded.

Thank you.

I don't know the details of the change between the first and the second versions, but there's no loosening with the second version whatsoever. They must have heard so many complaints about the same type of issues you were dealing with that prompted them to make some adjustments. I'll see if I can find out exactly what they've changed.

-Goethe
My Gear

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 11, 2014 20:27 |  #10

Domke makes one, check B&H or Adorama. I have no personal experience with it but have heard good things about it.

Jim
Gear List

rgs
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 11, 2014 22:59 |  #11

I can't help with the big lens but my first thought is that you need to find one with a big lens pocket in the back so the weight is centered and spread out a bit. I have an old Fuji vest (a freebee if you bought enough Velvia) made like that. I used to carry a Sigma 400 5.6 in that back pocket and it worked well.

That said, I have stopped using a vest. I don't carry as much as I used to in the film days with my Pentax 67 and a 35, lenses for both, two meters, extra film, filters, cable release, a flash (or two) and a few small things (as well as that big Sigma). I now take one body, two extra lenses, only three filters, remotes and batteries. So it all goes in Tamarac pouches on a belt ($5 tool belt from Lowes) and the camera rides premounted on the tripod. It's lighter, cooler, more comfortable, easier to work from and things don't fall out.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,463 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 12, 2014 00:10 |  #12

MDJAK wrote in post #16751508 (external link)

I use a drop of removable Locktite on the hub's thread. I also mount the hub 90 degrees off so the camera can be inserted in the vest in a straight up/down motion, and not rotated as shown in CC's video. The vest includes a tether but I use a neck strap instead. With the camera inserted in the vest no stress is placed on my neck.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,564 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 12, 2014 09:00 |  #13

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #16752256 (external link)
I use a drop of removable Locktite on the hub's thread. I also mount the hub 90 degrees off so the camera can be inserted in the vest in a straight up/down motion, and not rotated as shown in CC's video. The vest includes a tether but I use a neck strap instead. With the camera inserted in the vest no stress is placed on my neck.

I don't think Locktite was necessary at all with your method of mounting the hub 90 degrees off. There's no way the hub would loosen when there's no 90 degree rotating motion. With the straight up and down motion, you're now without any mechanism that'd prevent the camera from accidentally coming off.

Although CC has provided a safety tether, I also prefer to use my OpTech Pro Loop neck strap. While some folks complain that this neck strap is short, when used in conjunction with the CC Vest, it's actually a perfect length, it turns out. So OpTech serves as my safety tether. With this happy combination, my mind is at total peace so I can just concentrate on shooting without any neck strain.

I also agree that for a long lens (in my case, 100-400), nothing beats the CC Vest system. I used to be very skeptical about using the system, but once I've used it in a long hike, I wouldn't use anything else. I also tried a couple of other carrying systems that use a waist level placement of the camera and the lens. These waist level systems are just fine with small to medium lenses but not for carrying long lenses for any length of time.

-Goethe
My Gear

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,463 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 12, 2014 12:25 |  #14

SYS wrote in post #16752855 (external link)
I don't think Locktite was necessary at all with your method of mounting the hub 90 degrees off. There's no way the hub would loosen when there's no 90 degree rotating motion. With the straight up and down motion, you're now without any mechanism that'd prevent the camera from accidentally coming off.

Although CC has provided a safety tether, I also prefer to use my OpTech Pro Loop neck strap. While some folks complain that this neck strap is short, when used in conjunction with the CC Vest, it's actually a perfect length, it turns out. So OpTech serves as my safety tether. With this happy combination, my mind is at total peace so I can just concentrate on shooting without any neck strain.

I also agree that for a long lens (in my case, 100-400), nothing beats the CC Vest system. I used to be very skeptical about using the system, but once I've used it in a long hike, I wouldn't use anything else. I also tried a couple of other carrying systems that use a waist level placement of the camera and the lens. These waist level systems are just fine with small to medium lenses but not for carrying long lenses for any length of time.

Right, the Locktite is just a precautionary measure on my part. Although if one is rotating their camera 90 degrees to lock/unlock it, then I believe Locktite is a good idea. Just make sure the removable type is used.

I'm using the Tamrac Boomerange neck strap. It comes in two versions, N27 and 5057. I viewed them side by side in a camera store. They are exactly the same except for the card holders.

http://www.amazon.com …09KKQO6/ref=cm_​cr_pr_pb_t (external link)

http://www.amazon.com …amera-Strap/dp/B0000AB4O1 (external link)

I'm not saying the Tamrac is the best strap, just one that works well for me.

I think it would be nice if CC provided more attachment points on the vest, and various pouches, bags, etc. A CC vest upgrade would be welcomed. I'm not sure how a photographer's vest would work under the CC. Me thinks the pockets would be hard to get to with the CC on top.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,564 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 12, 2014 14:28 |  #15

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #16753308 (external link)
I'm not sure how a photographer's vest would work under the CC. Me thinks the pockets would be hard to get to with the CC on top.

I actually want the photographer's vest on top of the CC Vest, not under. I only use the CC Vest for my long and heavy lenses, either 70-200 or 100-400, and I think I can partially zip up right under the lens up to the hub housing. The whole point of my wanting a photographer's vest (black color) is so that 1) it blends very well with the CC Vest while covering up it's ugly back, and 2) I can have some extra pockets for various items like extra batteries, cards, filters, rocket blower, etc.

-Goethe
My Gear

sponsored links

3,319 views & 0 likes for this thread
Now I want a photo vest.... 300mm 2.8 :)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.