Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Mar 2014 (Tuesday) 22:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

85mm 1.8 Not sharp?

rlineberg
168 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 11, 2014 22:36 |  #1

I bought a 85mm 1.8 last year based on my great experience renting one. However, for some reason, I can never seem to get the same sharpness out of mine in comparison to the rental lens. I am starting to wonder if something isn't right with my lens.

Here is a comparison. Top photo is with my copy of the 85mm and the bottom is the rental 85mm.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i59.photobucket​.com …/rlineberg/IMG_​6927-1.jpg (external link)

I really don't think it is a user issue because these results are constant.

Any thoughts?

5D Mark II, 24-105 f/4, 580EXII, 2 Lumpro 160's.
website: http://robertlineberg.​smugmug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 11, 2014 22:43 |  #2

Have you looked up a free PDF micro focus adjustment chart? It's not unusual for copy to copy to need some adjustment. Several threads on the boards here with full instructions on how to do the whole process if the lens is a little off.

Also at 1.8 I forget the approximate DOF near the MFD but a little movement on your or your model's part could be enough to cause this. the top photo it appears that her ears are in focus. If it's consistently back you can move it forward. I am assuming you've confirmed that in both photos the Af point selected is on the model's eye.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Ninja1283
24 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 11, 2014 22:48 |  #3

Could just be a softer copy; could be AF discrepancies. Have you tried calibrating the AF microadjustment? Have you tried sending in to Canon for calibration?

Were those two pictures shot at the same aperture, SS, and ISO settings? Were both utilizing a tripod to minimize camera shake?

rlineberg
THREAD ­ STARTER
168 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 11, 2014 22:50 |  #4

I have spent hours with the micro adjustment using a chart. I thought I had it pretty good, but today's results proved that to be false. These are both shot at 3.5.

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 11, 2014 23:25 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

did you focus recompose? What was your shutter speed?

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

rlineberg
THREAD ­ STARTER
168 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 11, 2014 23:27 as a reply to  @ kin2son's post |  #6

I did not recompose. Shutter speed is 1/250, no tripod.

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 11, 2014 23:54 |  #7

Try using the tripod and shoot a static object. Handheld with a living, breathing subject can lead to missed focus with thin DOF. If the results are still soft, then it's a lens problem. If the results are sharp, it's 'user error' (not really you, but a combination of the aforementioned).

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 12, 2014 02:56 |  #8

This... http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/11872​47 (external link)

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 12, 2014 03:11 |  #9

seems to me that
the first photo with natural light outdoors
the second photo with flash or some source of light indoors

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

charles_leon
127 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 12, 2014 03:41 |  #10

looks like in the first photo, her earring is whats in focus. it looks quite clear compared to her eyes

i'd send the lens to canon. i had a problem like this before, i sent it in for service and they found something wrong with one of the focus things (forgot exactly but they said something was off). lens came back and performed perfectly

6D. 16-35L f4. 50L. 135L

stang67
385 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 12, 2014 05:24 |  #11

Definitely looks like some back-focusing is going on. If you can't eventually get it adjusted correctly, I would send the lens to Canon to correct. I'm not sure if it needs to be specifically calibrated to your body etc though (I doubt it). The lens definitely doesn't seem soft though as your subject's ears appear to be sharp in focus.

Canon 6D - Canon 1D Mk III - 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Σ 105mm f/2.8 | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | Σ 35mm f/1.4 | 17-40mm f/4L
flickr (external link)

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,574 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 12, 2014 09:09 |  #12

You can sit and argue until the cows come home. Is it softness of front/back AF or decentering.

For front/back AF go to this site:

http://www.peleng8.com …k-focus.html#.UyBpfpjAMf​M (external link)

Download and make the target, read and follow the instructions carefully and you will determine whether it's front/back AF.

The target doesn't breath, the camera is on a tripod etc etc.

If, when you shoot the checkered target, the target appears soft, downoad a standard target and try to determine whether one side is sharper than the other (de-centering). Try narrow apertures as well.

If anything, you will have baseline photos to compare on improvement after you send the lens back to Canon.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

giballi
210 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 12, 2014 09:14 as a reply to  @ MakisM1's post |  #13

So on a similar note, I just picked up the 85 and I am wondering the same thing. This was taken at 2.8 so you'd think it would be very sharper than wide open at 1.8 does it look sharp to you?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_0975 copy (external link) by HGcreative (external link), on Flickr

SamFrench
870 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 12, 2014 09:36 |  #14

MakisM1 wrote in post #16752871 (external link)
You can sit and argue until the cows come home. Is it softness of front/back AF or decentering.

For front/back AF go to this site:

http://www.peleng8.com …k-focus.html#.UyBpfpjAMf​M (external link)

Download and make the target, read and follow the instructions carefully and you will determine whether it's front/back AF.

The target doesn't breath, the camera is on a tripod etc etc.

If, when you shoot the checkered target, the target appears soft, download a standard target and try to determine whether one side is sharper than the other (de-centering). Try narrow apertures as well.

If anything, you will have baseline photos to compare on improvement after you send the lens back to Canon.

bw!

This is a far better idea than simply posting an image on a forum, It does require some individual effort, but you'll discover way more information about your lens.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 12, 2014 11:22 as a reply to  @ SamFrench's post |  #15

I'd like to see both lenses used with available light and both lenses used in a studio with flash.

What I've noticed, studio pics using flash always look sharper than available light pics.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

sponsored links

6,288 views & 0 likes for this thread
85mm 1.8 Not sharp?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.