Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Mar 2014 (Sunday) 20:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D III Focus Tracking Question - with picture

askydiver
THREAD ­ STARTER
206 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 12, 2014 15:19 |  #16

SYS wrote in post #16750266 (external link)
Is this really an AF issue or a motion blur issue? Sure looks to me like a motion blur...

It was at 1/2000th of a second. So I can see motion blur for the wings, but not the eye area in that short of a movement. But I've been wrong before.

1Dx | 7D2 | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II | And a few more red lines.

sponsored links
MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,445 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 12, 2014 15:43 |  #17

askydiver wrote in post #16753716 (external link)
It was at 1/2000th of a second. So I can see motion blur for the wings, but not the eye area in that short of a movement. But I've been wrong before.

I think the blur is a DOF issue. Can't expect much of a blur in 1/2000. However, I see various parts of the photo in focus, which make little sense.

Can you post the whole photo, not cropped in full resolution? Photobucket and Flickr allow you to do this...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

Ruggo
106 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 12, 2014 17:01 |  #18

Askydiver, I don't know if you've read the Canon Digital Learning centre pdf on the auto tracking.
LINKY (external link)
I hope that helps.

askydiver
THREAD ­ STARTER
206 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 12, 2014 17:17 |  #19

Between the changes here to case 4 that I just made:

herculeorama wrote in post #16746987 (external link)
I would customize the Case as follows:
Tracking sensitivity (-1) - this will force to keep the subject in focus and not change the focus to some intervening object
Accl/Decel tracking (+2)
Auto switch AF points ( +1)

And expanding to using the full 61 auto focus points based on what I learned here:

apersson850 wrote in post #16747648 (external link)
No, that's not the way it works.
Assuming you use Servo AF, this however is how it works.
  • Single spot AF and single point AF (one box with dot inside and then without): No handover, since there's nothing to hand over to.
  • Single point AF with four assist points, single point AF with eight assist points and all 61 points (with one box defined as the starting point): Handover will take place if the main point can't track and one or more of the assist points can. The number of assist points in this case is four, eight or 60.
  • Zone AF: Camera picks starting point according to the same rule as for One Shot AF, then tracks according to Servo AF rules with possible handover inside the zone.

This is true for the 1DX and 5D mark III. For the 1DX, using iSA and iTR, handover is also determined by object color and face detection in zone and all point modes.
I'ts also true for the 7D, if you omit the selection of one AF point with eight assist points, since the 7D doesn't have that.
It's also true for the 7D, but you have to omit two more modes, that are missing on that camera.

I feel like I learned a lot. I set all these settings and saved them into my C1 and plan to spend some time playing with it. Thanks again guys! I really do appreciate the insightful and helpful posts!!!!!!

1Dx | 7D2 | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II | And a few more red lines.

askydiver
THREAD ­ STARTER
206 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 12, 2014 17:19 |  #20

MakisM1 wrote in post #16753773 (external link)
I think the blur is a DOF issue. Can't expect much of a blur in 1/2000. However, I see various parts of the photo in focus, which make little sense.

Can you post the whole photo, not cropped in full resolution? Photobucket and Flickr allow you to do this...

Here is a link to the SooC version of that image.

https://www.dropbox.co​m …uhc/20140309-S47C4254.jpg (external link)

askydiver
THREAD ­ STARTER
206 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 12, 2014 17:20 |  #21

Ruggo wrote in post #16753940 (external link)
Askydiver, I don't know if you've read the Canon Digital Learning centre pdf on the auto tracking.
LINKY (external link)
I hope that helps.

I had not, but I shall right now; I'm sure that it will help a lot!!! Thanks!

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,445 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 12, 2014 22:56 |  #22

Ok Skydiver, this makes more sense.

I noticed that directly under the tip of the tail, the debris was in focus (sharp) while the bird's right wing is blurred and you were trying to focus on the eye.

Seeing the complete frame, it is obvious that the ledge is at an angle rather than perpendicular to the lens.

This means that the whole wing is in front of the focus plane and therefore blurred. To me it seems that the focus plane is at the debris under the tail, the orange hairs at the bird's body and the grey hair in his left side.

The center of the photo is the orange hair of the bird and it seems to me that it is in focus.

I marked the points which are in focus with the red brush

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

sponsored links

3,610 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D III Focus Tracking Question - with picture
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.