Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 12 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 09:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Workplace injury!

Sam6644
691 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 12, 2014 09:18 |  #1

Be a professional sports photographer, they said. It will be fun, they said.

I recently started working in Columbus, and part of our coverage includes the local NHL team, The Blue Jackets. I've shot probably six or seven of their games since I've been here and had a great experience with it. We shoot through a hole in the glass at this arena, which I'm told by other sports photographers is becoming a real rarity anymore. So I consider it a privilege, because it's awesome. I've yet to find another sport where you get to shot from so close to the action... actually.. except NASCAR. For some reason they let you shoot an arms length away from the cars at NASCAR, but that's another story. :lol:

So anyway, the hole looks like this. About the size of a postcard, and we shoot with a 28-300L push/pull zoom down there. We shoot with arena strobes, so we lock in at f/5.6 and this lens becomes the perfect tool for the job. Never thought I'd have anything positive to say about that lens, but it's perfect for this. However, that push/pull motion is awkward... keep that in mind.. it comes into play later.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

You pay close attention down there because anything can come through the whole. I've had sticks poke through, I've had near misses with pucks almost getting through, I've witness other people have lenses wrecked by pucks, etc. You get ice spray in your face a handful of times each game... it's exciting. It's crazy to shoot so close to the action.

But you have to make sure you're watch where everything is going on. Fortunately, that push/pull lens, if you're following the action, you kind of naturally retract from the glass as they get closer. You're pulling in on that lens to keep them in frame, and that usually lands you well off the glass before a player gets checked into the boards right there.

So last night, I was shooting down there without the strobes. I was using my 70-200 down there and really enjoying the change of pace. Being able to shoot burst on the 1Dx instead having to shoot on the strobe cycle was great. Shooting with a more natural motion of the 70-200's zoom ring instead of push/pull was nice too. I was missing that wide angle for when the players got close, but I was on top of everything going on in front of the goal, which is more important anyway, right?

However, I'd been in the motion of that push/pull for the whole time I've been shooting hockey, and in the mode of seeing a bit wider than 70mm when I needed to. Not to mention, the idea that as you zoom out, the lens gets shorter. You see... as I zoomed out on the 70-200... it stayed the same length, and that meant it wasn't coming away from the glass as two players slammed into it, right where my hole was... right were the end of my lens was.

My lens was popped back by the players, and my camera into my face. What I'm thinking was the hotshoe caught me right in the mouth. Chipped my tooth pretty good.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Largest piece of the chip I could find.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Fortunately, I have today off of work to figure out who/when/where this is going to get fixed, so we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience for everyone's entertainment. Heads up out there, and in case your had been wondering, the 1DX is harder than teeth!

At least I fit in with the hockey guys now.

my site (very outdated at this point) (external link)
Follow on Facebook for more regular updates (external link)
and and twitter (external link)
and instagram, too. (external link)
my blog (external link)

sponsored links
rdalrt
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 12, 2014 09:38 |  #2

Dang, that sucks. Hope you can get that fixed up alright.

On the plus side, like you mentioned, you will now and forever be accepted in the hockey fraternity. :)

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 12, 2014 10:04 as a reply to  @ rdalrt's post |  #3

Painful, but a minor injury compared to what happened to David Poile, who was not fortunate enough to be behind protective glass when a puck hit him in the face. (external link)

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 12, 2014 17:06 |  #4

Oh Gee! Hope you get it fixed. Wear a gumshield next time ;-)a

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 12, 2014 18:36 |  #5

Coulda been worse if your mouth was closed!!

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

Easy ­ Money
60 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 12, 2014 18:54 |  #6

That sucks, but at least it's something that can be fixed!

Sam6644
THREAD ­ STARTER
691 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 12, 2014 21:43 |  #7

All better!

IMAGE NOT FOUND

my site (very outdated at this point) (external link)
Follow on Facebook for more regular updates (external link)
and and twitter (external link)
and instagram, too. (external link)
my blog (external link)

RangeMan
30 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 13, 2014 21:06 |  #8

Good as new!

Gear: 5D MkIII, 7D, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4,
Sigma 120-300 f2.8 IS Sports

sponsored links

1,833 views & 0 likes for this thread
Workplace injury!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.