Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 12 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 20:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amazon Accused of Cheating Customers Through Shipping Costs

SYS
Cream of the Crop
8,968 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 12, 2014 20:35 |  #1

Interesting... and they're thinking about raising the prime membership to, what was that, $120 a year?

http://abcnews.go.com …members/story?i​d=22882043 (external link)

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 12, 2014 20:49 |  #2

What a BS frivolous lawsuit. So many consumers have no idea that free shipping isn't actually free for the seller.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,968 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 12, 2014 21:05 |  #3

cdifoto wrote in post #16754371 (external link)
What a BS frivolous lawsuit. So many consumers have no idea that free shipping isn't actually free for the seller.

My first reaction, too, was how "frivolous" the lawsuit, then after mulling over it a while, I thought it timely to keep them honest, especially now that the prime membership might jump to $120 a year.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 12, 2014 21:05 |  #4

I hardly ever shop at Amazon. Reason is, it always seems that when I'm looking for an item, and there is that link for "As Low As XXX", I can never find that XXX price, or even though shipping is supposed to be free when you hit $25 or $35, there always seems to be some reason that I'm getting charged shipping fees. I do believe Amazon plays with their pricing, almost in a bait-n-switch type of way.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 12, 2014 21:17 |  #5

KirkS518 wrote in post #16754406 (external link)
I hardly ever shop at Amazon. Reason is, it always seems that when I'm looking for an item, and there is that link for "As Low As XXX", I can never find that XXX price, or even though shipping is supposed to be free when you hit $25 or $35, there always seems to be some reason that I'm getting charged shipping fees. I do believe Amazon plays with their pricing, almost in a bait-n-switch type of way.

Not really. I shop primarily through Amazon, so it's been obvious for a long time that things sold as "Prime" are often the same cost as the same item sold by a non prime seller (i.e. not fulfilled by Amazon) after their shipping is included. Something that is Prime eligible might be $5 while the same thing from a third party might be $2.50 and $2.50 for shipping. I've seen large items that where $50 plus maybe $100 shipping sell as Prime for $150. It's the nature of the beast. Hasn't stopped me from using Amazon though. As far as the "lowest Price", that is often times a used price from a third party and may not always be available.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 12, 2014 21:28 |  #6

Prime means 2-day shipping at ground rates (ie no extra charge and no minimum) and prioritized fulfillment (although they won't admit to this one). It doesn't mean cheaper stuff. It never has meant cheaper stuff.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 12, 2014 21:33 |  #7

I've been using prime for years and have always seemed to make out on the shipping savings. Although I've gotta say I haven't ordered nearly as much as I used to so if it does go up to the $120 mark I'll probably be cancelling it. :(

Christian.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,898 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 12, 2014 21:41 |  #8

BS lawsuit. If you don't like the price, shop elsewhere. She thinks non-prime members see a different price? Got proof of that?

I've always looked at Prime as a free upgrade to two-day shipping, not free shipping. You also get a nice break on next day delivery as well.

Mark J.
Gear

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 12, 2014 21:47 |  #9

We buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, but for camera related stuff I like Adorama.

Ta2edmom
186 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 12, 2014 21:59 |  #10

I have been using Prime for a few years and just renewed for the last time in February. I won't be renewing again, my purchases, especially around Christmas time always total out to more than $35 anyways. I did just buy a new camera and lens and extras on there so that was nice getting it in 2 days with the prime ship but otherwise it's kind of a waste, especially now that very low cost items you can only get prime shipped if they are "add on" items to an order over $25

Dee~ Canon Rebel XS gripped/Canon 60d gripped/ 18-55mm, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 75-300mm

machinez
327 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 12, 2014 22:24 as a reply to  @ Ta2edmom's post |  #11

We joined because of amazon mom program. Diapers, wipes etc are about 20% cheaper through the subscription. The savings paid off the membership in 3-4 months. For the most part our orders have been above the 25/35 threshold. It was nice for a while to get some $10 items shipped free in 2 days. Now those are considered add-on items and won't ship until you have some higher value items shipping. Unfortunately we never nixed our Netflix in favor of the prime video. All in, if not for diapers, I probably wouldn't renew. If you aren't subscribed to diaper delivery, you would be crazy to pay $120 a year.

Flickr (external link)

gpswiz
654 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 12, 2014 23:02 |  #12

It's true. If you look at the same item, which sells by various sellers, the one with Amazon prime tend to be more pricey. Once you factor in the shipping cost of the same item (none-prime), the total cost is almost the same.

Amazon is not an honest seller. In a few occasions, I added a couple items in my cart and then left it there for a couple days, the price would go up in some items; if I were to remove those items in the wish list, the price would miraculously dropped back to it original price. It happened to me several times lately.

Body - 5DIII, 50D
Souls - 85L f/1.2, 24-70L, 24-104L f/4.0, 70-200L IS f/2.8, 100mm Macro, MP-E 65mm, 18-200mm IS, nifty 50
Companions - 580EX ii, MT-24EX, BG-E2N, Gitzo G1564L monopod, , Gitzon GT3541, Manfrotto 055CXPRO4, This hobby is getting too expensive....

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 12, 2014 23:48 |  #13

gpswiz wrote in post #16754652 (external link)
It's true. If you look at the same item, which sells by various sellers, the one with Amazon prime tend to be more pricey. Once you factor in the shipping cost of the same item (none-prime), the total cost is almost the same.

Amazon is not an honest seller. In a few occasions, I added a couple items in my cart and then left it there for a couple days, the price would go up in some items; if I were to remove those items in the wish list, the price would miraculously dropped back to it original price. It happened to me several times lately.

They definitely do play pricing games. I've experienced the same thing.

Lastblackdog
101 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 13, 2014 03:43 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #14

If you suspect fowl play open an "incognito" window along side the original and check prices on Amazon as a non-prime customer.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mrmcc1954/ (external link)

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 13, 2014 04:19 |  #15

I don't think I care if a vendor adds shipping costs to the final price. I'm still going to compare prices and if that tactic means they end up costing more I won't buy the item from them. This person feels since they pay an annual fee for Amazon prime they have to be the lowest price or they will sue them?

sponsored links

5,676 views & 0 likes for this thread
Amazon Accused of Cheating Customers Through Shipping Costs
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.