Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Mar 2014 (Tuesday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shutter life: 7D vs 70D

AC_Photo
46 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 11, 2014 14:37 |  #1

I'm planning on finally upgrading from my 40D this year. I do high speed action photography of running dogs outdoors, and shoot a lot of photos every year so fast/accurate focusing and shutter life are the biggest priority, with low light being a close second. My 40D is at somewhere around 160K photos now, and it's past time to replace it.

The 7D is supposed to be the flag ship but there seems to be a lot of good arguments for the 70D over the 7D, and the 7FPS vs 8FPS is not an issue, nor is the cost difference. The one caveat that I can see so far is that the 7D is rated for 150K shutter actuation's, while the 70D doesn't seem to have a number provided. Has anyone used a 70D this heavily yet? Any thoughts?

I also understand there may be a MKII of the 7D coming out and that could change everything of course. :)

www.allcreaturesphoto.​com (external link)
www.lurecoursingfanati​cs.com (external link)
www.rawdogranch.com (external link)

sponsored links
Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 11, 2014 15:28 |  #2

I've been reading this thread
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1354075

It's enough for me to keep my setup. If I had to I would get another 60d, or 6d at this point.

single_track
718 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 13, 2014 20:17 as a reply to  @ Frodge's post |  #3

my 70d, like most other 70d's works great.

I always want C&C on my shots.
Gear list: 70d, 5d & 40d | 70-200L/f4 IS | 24-70L | 17-40L | Sigmalux | 17-85 IS | Opteka 6.5mm fisheye | 580exII
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/120400139@N03/ (external link)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 13, 2014 20:35 |  #4

single_track wrote in post #16756904 (external link)

That's good. But others are having problems. The problems are at wide apertures under 15'.

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 13, 2014 20:42 |  #5

single_track wrote in post #16756904 (external link)

+1, and I've been able to make mine miss too in bad lighting situations. You don't have to buy one Frodge, it's your prerogative, as is posting your opinion of course, but is it really necessary to be a prophet of doom?

70D's shutter life is rated at 100,000, like the 60D before it, per Imaging Resource. (external link)

That said, that is a MTBF - mean time before failure - it could go shorter, or it could go much longer. I'd say Canon probably rates them conservatively. Regardless, shutter replacement shouldn't be too expensive anyway, relative to the cost of the whole body, if it does fail.

All of that said, between taking copious amounts of photos and testing burst speed with different SD cards, I'm already up to over 4,300 shots and have only had it for two months. It's plenty robust and has never given me any problems at all. At this rate, which is unusually high due to that testing, I won't hit 100K for four years.

...and yes, the fabled 7D Mark II that has been rumored for what seems like forever is perpetually on the horizon as well.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 13, 2014 20:54 |  #6

hokiealumnus wrote in post #16756947 (external link)
+1, and I've been able to make mine miss too in bad lighting situations. You don't have to buy one Frodge, it's your prerogative, as is posting your opinion of course, but is it really necessary to be a prophet of doom?

70D's shutter life is rated at 100,000, like the 60D before it, per Imaging Resource. (external link)

That said, that is a MTBF - mean time before failure - it could go shorter, or it could go much longer. I'd say Canon probably rates them conservatively. Regardless, shutter replacement shouldn't be too expensive anyway, relative to the cost of the whole body, if it does fail.

All of that said, between taking copious amounts of photos and testing burst speed with different SD cards, I'm already up to over 4,300 shots and have only had it for two months. It's plenty robust and has never given me any problems at all. At this rate, which is unusually high due to that testing, I won't hit 100K for four years.

...and yes, the fabled 7D Mark II that has been rumored for what seems like forever is perpetually on the horizon as well.

It's not dooms day prophecy. It's a problem that exists on certain units. No, you may not get an affected body, bu you may. I admit it's a crapshoot. But I am not willing to take the chance. It's silly to not be forthright that a problem does exist. Not being able to nail focus at wide apertures at less than 15' is a big problem if you get an affected body.

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 13, 2014 21:43 |  #7

If you're only doing 160K on your 40D, I'd pick up a 70D without hesitation. If the cost difference between the 7D and 70D isn't a concern, then I wouldn't worry about the shutter failing in 6 years. 40Ds are worth what, 200-250$ or something now with a low shutter count. If the shutter dies it'll be an excuse to buy a new camera in 6 years.

Now, if you're not in any hurry, I could see waiting on the 7D II. However, like most thing in the camera business, there's no guarantee when it'll become available. However, I do know it's a day closer to reality than it was yesterday. Though I think most rumor mills put it at least 4-6 months out.

Frodge wrote in post #16756975 (external link)
It's not dooms day prophecy. It's a problem that exists on certain units. No, you may not get an affected body, bu you may. I admit it's a crapshoot. But I am not willing to take the chance. It's silly to not be forthright that a problem does exist. Not being able to nail focus at wide apertures at less than 15' is a big problem if you get an affected body.

I've followed the other thread. The general consensus I got was in **** light that I wouldn't want to be taking photos in, there might be a problem, however most people can't reproduce it. To me that's a giant "meh". Full disclosure, I own a 70D. If you buy one and it has an issue and you can't live with it, then just return it. You've got 30 days from most vendors, just remember to not clip the UPC code for a rebate or toss the packaging until you're satisfied with the product. I mean my god, you might have to pay shipping back think you might be out 12$ over it! :rolleyes:

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 13, 2014 21:47 |  #8

More important than the "rated" shutter lifetime (as others have pointed out, it's not a guarantee) is: what are you shooting? If you are doing snapshots and movies, the 70D may well be just right for you. If you intend to shoot action/sports (which it sounds like you do), the 7D autofocus in normal PDAF mode is clearly better and has some powerful and useful features.

There's hardly any difference in noise performance between the two, especially if you shoot Raw.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

palad1n
Goldmember
1,756 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Mar 14, 2014 04:30 |  #9

GregDunn wrote in post #16757074 (external link)
More important than the "rated" shutter lifetime (as others have pointed out, it's not a guarantee) is: what are you shooting? If you are doing snapshots and movies, the 70D may well be just right for you. If you intend to shoot action/sports (which it sounds like you do), the 7D autofocus in normal PDAF mode is clearly better and has some powerful and useful features.

There's hardly any difference in noise performance between the two, especially if you shoot Raw.

only difference between 70D and 7D are two extra AF modes (expansion mode - which is sometimes useful and precise mode, which is 99% useless), that´s all..
I can live without these modes and still get lot of keepers, because AF system itself is the same. 70D AF zone mode is pretty universal and can be used for effective tracking.

7D has IMHO two main advantages (tank body and it is 1FPS faster)

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,202 posts
Gallery: 1640 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 14, 2014 06:45 |  #10

AC_Photo wrote in post #16751042 (external link)
I'm planning on finally upgrading from my 40D this year. I do high speed action photography of running dogs outdoors, and shoot a lot of photos every year so fast/accurate focusing and shutter life are the biggest priority, with low light being a close second. My 40D is at somewhere around 160K photos now, and it's past time to replace it.

The 7D is supposed to be the flag ship but there seems to be a lot of good arguments for the 70D over the 7D, and the 7FPS vs 8FPS is not an issue, nor is the cost difference. The one caveat that I can see so far is that the 7D is rated for 150K shutter actuation's, while the 70D doesn't seem to have a number provided. Has anyone used a 70D this heavily yet? Any thoughts?

I also understand there may be a MKII of the 7D coming out and that could change everything of course. :)

Heya,

Seems you've done fine with the AF system of the 40D. Do you really need the 7D's system at this point truly then? If so, by all means, get it. A refurb would be a smart buy, at $800 at Keh.com right now. If you truly don't need the AF system of the 7D, then maybe look at a 60D instead at $500ish at Keh.com as well. Saves some money, maybe put it towards a lens that will do more for your kind of work than the camera will.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 14, 2014 08:12 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

When Canon rates a shutter at 150,000 versus 100,000, they know the durability of the components. Yes these are MTBF ratings, but non the less, the 7d is rated as a more durable camera than the 70d.

If I was shooting sports or fast action and put many activations through the camera with each shoot, I would go for the one that is more durable.

The price difference between these cameras lately really is small. Get the camera that is made for your application.

dnauer
527 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 14, 2014 08:23 |  #12

Had a 40D myself -- I shoot dog agility and field trials. Sounds like you may be doing lure coursing or something faster -- the 70D was a great upgrade over the 40D for me and I do not regret it -- it really was the camera I was waiting for. I am certain the 7D II will be awesome, but I suspect the price will be as well. Evaluate the 70D features and if it meets your expanded needs go for it. The 40D shutter was rated at 100k also, so you would be buying a camera with an equivalently rated shutter. It is an awesome camera.

omer
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 14, 2014 09:03 as a reply to  @ dnauer's post |  #13

If you have no intension to use video mode often -go for the 7d

80D | 7D | M6 | 15-85 | 70-300 L | Sig 10-20 | 50 1.8 |100 2.8 macro|28 F2.8 | efs24| efm 15-45| efs 55-250 stm |270EX | 430EXII |

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 14, 2014 09:38 |  #14

Frodge wrote in post #16751178 (external link)
I've been reading this thread
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1354075

It's enough for me to keep my setup. If I had to I would get another 60d, or 6d at this point.

It's a few people with an issue. I just had my 70D running around Disney and mine was spot on shooting with my 17-55 the entire week mainly on center point at all kinds of distances, lighting, and subject types. I did have to adjust the MFA to +2 at near and +3 the long end as it has (and always has) a tendency to front focus a little. Far more keepers than misses. On the 60D or 70D this type of MFA is not an option (60D has no MFA, 7D only has a single MFA value, which makes it much less functional with zooms).

I also did intensive AF testing in fairly poor light with my 50mm 1.4 at near the MFD and other intermediate ranges and it is focusing fine on the center point with no MFA.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 14, 2014 09:42 |  #15

Frodge wrote in post #16756975 (external link)

It's also easy to figure out well within your return and warranty period.

Of course, you have also posted something like 4 threads including a poll deathly afraid of the grips on the 60D peeling, so you are risk averse, I get it :)

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

sponsored links

23,491 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shutter life: 7D vs 70D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.