Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 13 Mar 2014 (Thursday) 15:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sellers charging buyers for shipping insurance

slookx24
233 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 13, 2014 15:03 |  #1

I see that a lot of sellers in the marketplace here on POTN ask buyers to cover shipping insurance. This makes no sense to me because it is typically the seller's responsibility to get the product to the buyer. To me, a sale isn't completed until the item is delivered in advertised condition and the buyer accepts this.

Let's say buyer pays via Paypal (not gift option!) and seller ships the item uninsured. For some reason, the item is never delivered. Buyer can file a Paypal claim and get their money refunded, so buyer is taken care of. Seller is the one responsible for filing a lost package claim with the courier. If the courier cannot locate the item and seller did not insure the package, he/she is pretty much SOL (loses item AND cash from sale).

It's always been my belief that shipping insurance is more so to protect the seller/shipper, not the buyer. Of course all of this is moot if the buyer pays with Paypal gift...so chalk it up as another reason not to use Paypal gift!

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,160 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 13, 2014 15:06 |  #2

Which is different I sell you an item for $120 I eat the shipping, or I sell you an Item for $100, and you pay the $20 shipping and insurance? You are getting hung up on semantics. As a seller I would require insurance, regardless of how the item was priced out as its my item until delivery is confirmed, but you are just arguing about wording.

NManuel01
750 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 13, 2014 15:37 |  #3

I always factor everything into my price, I know what the lowest is that I can go, if a buyer hits that mark he gets the item. If he doesn't then no sale. I think it's laziness, factor 3% into your price and know how much of a hit you can take. Come on it's not that difficult. Also what is with I'll pist pics later? Sell it when your ready.

On another forum I frequent, paypal gift isn't an option, if your caught doing that your banned.

6D, 70-200 MKii F2.8, Tamron 24-70mm, Canon 40mm
Eos M, 18-55mm, 20mm
Alienbee 800, Canon 430exii, Canon 90ex

rndman
959 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 13, 2014 15:48 |  #4

slookx24 wrote in post #16756227 (external link)
I see that a lot of sellers in the marketplace here on POTN ask buyers to cover shipping. This makes no sense to me because it is typically the seller's responsibility to get the product to the buyer. To me, a sale isn't completed until the item is delivered in advertised condition and the buyer accepts this.

So what do you do if it's a regular online retailer? or ebay for that matter.
As someone mentioned, it's just how you look at it. It's either $120 or $100+$20. Take your pick.

Flickr (external link)

amkorp
253 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 13, 2014 15:53 |  #5

I'm not sure where you shop online but the majority of online retailers add an extra shipping charge for their items. Free shipping is the exception and not the norm.

5D Mark III | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS USM | 135mm f/2L USM | 8-15mm f/4L USM | 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM | 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | 600EX-RT | 430EX II | 430EX | ST-E3 | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x III

slookx24
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 13, 2014 16:09 |  #6

My mistake. My OP is supposed to say:

I see that a lot of sellers in the marketplace here on POTN ask buyers to cover shipping INSURANCE.

Edited.

J ­ Michael
968 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 13, 2014 16:33 |  #7

It's kind of funny how many ads I pass on because it appears the seller is trying to nickel-and-dime with extra charges. The ones I'm more likely to act on are the ones that include everything in the price including shipping. It has as much to do with wasting my time over small change as anything else. You've got a filter you'd like to get $20 for. With paypal and shipping you might be talking $24. Just call it $25 and be done with it.

No one really believes free shipping is free or that the cost of using credit cards isn't built into the price of products.

larrycumba
311 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 13, 2014 16:55 |  #8

J Michael wrote in post #16756433 (external link)
It's kind of funny how many ads I pass on because it appears the seller is trying to nickel-and-dime with extra charges. The ones I'm more likely to act on are the ones that include everything in the price including shipping. .

You and me both.

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 13, 2014 18:18 |  #9

I usually just add it into everything. Including PP fees.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 13, 2014 23:10 |  #10

slookx24 wrote in post #16756387 (external link)
My mistake. My OP is supposed to say:

I see that a lot of sellers in the marketplace here on POTN ask buyers to cover shipping INSURANCE.

Edited.

INSURANCE only benefits the shipper/seller. If the item gets lost or stolen during transit ONLY the person that purchased and/or paid the shipping cost and insurance fee can file a claim for the insurance. The buyer/ recipient is totally excluded from that process. Why? Because he does NOT have any receipts.

I buy something from you, I use PayPal, the item never arrives, I absolutely guarantee I will get my money back. You sell me an item and ship it, the item is lost or stolen in transit, you MIGHT get money of replacement value, IF YOU INSURED THE PACKAGE, if not YOU LOSE both ways!!

Fairly simple to see which person NEEDS the insurance and as a buyer, it isn't me.

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

slookx24
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 14, 2014 00:11 |  #11

Hillbille wrote in post #16757210 (external link)
INSURANCE only benefits the shipper/seller. If the item gets lost or stolen during transit ONLY the person that purchased and/or paid the shipping cost and insurance fee can file a claim for the insurance. The buyer/ recipient is totally excluded from that process. Why? Because he does NOT have any receipts.

I buy something from you, I use PayPal, the item never arrives, I absolutely guarantee I will get my money back. You sell me an item and ship it, the item is lost or stolen in transit, you MIGHT get money of replacement value, IF YOU INSURED THE PACKAGE, if not YOU LOSE both ways!!

Fairly simple to see which person NEEDS the insurance and as a buyer, it isn't me.

Hillbille

Exactly what OP says....

I'm saying sellers shouldn't charge buyers extra for insurance as if it's an extra service for the buyer. Sellers should include insurance into their price to cover their own butts. Don't put the onus on the buyer.

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 14, 2014 01:01 |  #12

Well I see it like you. I also see it that this seller will be difficult if every didn't go well. It's not a guarantee that seller that did not ask for all insurance will be easy. I do ignore those ads.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,160 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 14, 2014 04:56 |  #13

For those of you who feel so strongly about the shipper paying the insurance, would you refuse to buy from a seller who itemized the cost that even though his total cost to you was ultimately lower?

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 14, 2014 05:09 |  #14

gonzogolf wrote in post #16757540 (external link)
For those of you who feel so strongly about the shipper paying the insurance, would you refuse to buy from a seller who itemized the cost that even though his total coat to you was ultimately lower?

Exactly - If I sell my 5D mark III for $2000 right now and say buyer has to pay for shipping and everything everyone will jump on it (including some from here). However I do understand frustration when asking price is comparable and this unknown factor comes into picture particularly considering seller may not know how much will it be. In the end, everyone figures out how much TOTAL they will have to pay for an item regardless of how something is advertized.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

SBK1
941 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 14, 2014 06:47 |  #15

I charge extra for the shipping insurance. Seemslike alot of buyers are willing to take the chance. I always give them the option UP FRONT so they know the drill. All depends on the items and its worth as well. And when I buy smoething from here, I always get the details in writing and I also take the amount of feedback and length on these forums into account.

1DX|70D||200 f2L IS|300 f2.8IS|400 f2.8IS|70-200 mkII|24-70 mkII|1.4X TC iii|2.0X TC iii|600EX-RT|580EX II|2 Einsteins & AB800|
Buy/Sell Feedback on POTN
https://photography-on-the.net …p=15147375&post​count=3249

sponsored links

5,850 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sellers charging buyers for shipping insurance
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.