Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Mar 2014 (Friday) 08:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can't we all just get along?

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,403 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 14, 2014 08:29 |  #1

Anyone else tired of the constant 7D vs. 70D debate? Now lately there have also been a lot of 6D vs. 7D debates. Is it just me or are 70D and 6D owners very defensive about their cameras? (7D owners too, but I haven't seen it to the same extent.)

We're all here for the same thing, to get better at photography and share our images of that process. All three are wonderful cameras, so instead of sparking debate get out and take some pictures, no matter what tool you're using.

If you want to know "which one is better" go to your local shop and have a go at each one, for only you can decide which is better for your own needs. *Rant over*

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

sponsored links
Yno
861 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 14, 2014 08:54 |  #2

Sometimes they are a bit entertaining, but overall it is sort of sad. I am on my third Canon DSLR in seven years. I go back and look at pictures taken with my first and compare them to pictures taken with my current model. I have great shots from all of them. Heck, I even have some good stuff from 1970's era film cameras. They all work if you take a little time to learn the basics and point them in the right direction.

I upgraded over the years because I could afford to and had the desire to. But if I could not have done so, I could still enjoy photography (as an amateur, pros needs are different). Some cameras have advantages in some situations over others, they are all good tools. Buy what you like and what suits your needs, but getting into a screaming match online about different models is somewhat counter productive. Rational discussions are one thing, and are helpful to many, but people getting banned for name calling is a bit ridiculous.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

elfy
812 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 14, 2014 08:59 as a reply to  @ Yno's post |  #3

Some have an innate need to bash what others use. It helps them to justify their choice to themselves. I just got an 1100d as an insurance replacement for my old 350d, so I did a little bit of reading on here. You'd think the 1100d was the worst camera ever made!

Here's my gear: Canon 1100D, 18-55mm kit lens, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 55-250mm, Speedlite 430EX flashgun
A Year In Photos - My Project365 (external link)
www.colinelliotphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 14, 2014 09:52 |  #4

The 7D vs. the 70D is but the tip of the iceberg. If you notice, equipment debates are usually started then continued by those who cannot take good pictures - gearheads. Ignore them.

Website (external link) |

Preeb
Goldmember
2,535 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 14, 2014 10:19 |  #5

Yno wrote in post #16757843 (external link)
Sometimes they are a bit entertaining, but overall it is sort of sad. I am on my third Canon DSLR in seven years. I go back and look at pictures taken with my first and compare them to pictures taken with my current model. I have great shots from all of them. Heck, I even have some good stuff from 1970's era film cameras. They all work if you take a little time to learn the basics and point them in the right direction. I upgraded over the years because I could afford to and had the desire to. But if I could not have done so, I could still enjoy photography (as an amateur, pros needs are different). Some cameras have advantages in some situations over others, they are all good tools. Buy what you like and what suits your needs, but getting into a screaming match online about different models is somewhat counter productive.

This I agree with. I took many images with my T1i that I love. I also have a few keepers with my 60D. I have around 1000 slides from the 70's and 80's which I also think are keepers.

Yno wrote in post #16757843 (external link)
Rational discussions are one thing, and are helpful to many, but people getting banned for name calling is a bit ridiculous.

Name calling and personal attacks will get you banned, or at least get you a time out for a first offense, in any properly moderated forum. When moderation is weak or nonexistent, it usually drives away the sort of members who tend to be most helpful in a reasoned discussion. What intelligent person really wants to participate on a site where half of the threads degenerate into cursing and name calling? That as bad as the sites where a few long time members form a clique and hog all of the discussions and tend to put down any new members if they speak up or express an opinion that goes against the party line. I've seen both types, and I generally duck out as soon as I see how the wind blows.

PoTN is a great forum, a well managed and mostly a pleasant site to hang out in. Some of the recent discussions have gotten a bit heated and that is a bit silly, considering that we are all trying to do the same thing, which is to take the best photographs we can. We come here to learn or to share our expertise, to talk about our passion for photography, and that's what this site is all about.

Rick
60D - EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 14, 2014 10:30 |  #6

It gives people something to do since cameras are for discussing not shooting.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,729 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 14, 2014 11:04 |  #7

I don't see a problem discussing the virtues of one camera over another, that's what the gear forums are all about. The 7D vs. 70D threads are just a continuation of a long tradition of comparing the latest to the previous generation of cameras. It's been going on ever since I joined POTN. Some get carried away and get personal but the mods do a great job shutting those down rather quickly. But if you're tired of all the debate the answer is simple, skip those threads. There is no requirement that you read or participate in the debate.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

armis
890 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 14, 2014 11:05 |  #8

The debate will be settled when everybody admits that the 7D is the superior camera.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …30/officer123/1​6aa0co.gif (external link)

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 14, 2014 11:26 |  #9

armis wrote in post #16758164 (external link)
The debate will be settled when everybody admits that the 7D is the superior camera.

The superior paperweight.

Nobody takes a crop sensor seriously any more.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

HazemG
229 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 14, 2014 11:27 |  #10

armis wrote in post #16758164 (external link)

[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

hahahahaha. And no I don't shoot a 7D I just found this way too funny.

Tedder
370 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 14, 2014 12:34 |  #11

I quickly find those sorts of discussions to be tiresome. I believe, though, that the following isn't quite so.

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #16757789 (external link)
...We're all here for the same thing, to get better at photography and share our images of that process….

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,403 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 14, 2014 12:41 |  #12

Tedder wrote in post #16758392 (external link)
I quickly find those sorts of discussions to be tiresome. I believe, though, that the following isn't quite so.

I like your set with the rocks. Very cool!

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,403 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 14, 2014 12:45 |  #13

elfy wrote in post #16757855 (external link)
Some have an innate need to bash what others use. It helps them to justify their choice to themselves. I just got an 1100d as an insurance replacement for my old 350d, so I did a little bit of reading on here. You'd think the 1100d was the worst camera ever made!

Same here. I used to have a 40D. I believe the 40D is the most praised and most hated camera canon ever produced. Depending on who you talk to of course.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

Eccentric ­ M
349 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 14, 2014 12:45 |  #14

ah gear wars, they'll always be there regardless of what type of cameras out now.

EOS 7D - EF-S 15-85 IS USM - EF 50 1.8 II - EF 70-300 IS USM - Speedlite 430EX II
A6000 - 16-50 PZ OSS
Flickr (external link)

elfy
812 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 14, 2014 12:55 |  #15

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #16758423 (external link)
Same here. I used to have a 40D. I believe the 40D is the most praised and most hated camera canon ever produced. Depending on who you talk to of course.

I'm actually looking at maybe getting a used 40d at some point soon. :)

Here's my gear: Canon 1100D, 18-55mm kit lens, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 55-250mm, Speedlite 430EX flashgun
A Year In Photos - My Project365 (external link)
www.colinelliotphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

sponsored links

5,377 views & 6 likes for this thread
Can't we all just get along?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.