Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 13 Mar 2014 (Thursday) 15:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sellers charging buyers for shipping insurance

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 14, 2014 09:00 |  #16

I factor it into the price and require it. if it doesn't make it to the buyer, paypal will side with the buyer and I eat the cost. so I am cover my risk by doing insurance

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

sponsored links
KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 14, 2014 09:29 |  #17

SBK1 wrote in post #16757634 (external link)
I charge extra for the shipping insurance. Seemslike alot of buyers are willing to take the chance. I always give them the option UP FRONT so they know the drill. All depends on the items and its worth as well. And when I buy smoething from here, I always get the details in writing and I also take the amount of feedback and length on these forums into account.

Not sure what you mean by this. What chance is a buyer taking?

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 14, 2014 10:14 |  #18

I charge extra for the shipping insurance. Seemslike alot of buyers are willing to take the chance. I always give them the option UP FRONT so they know the drill. All depends on the items and its worth as well. And when I buy smoething from here, I always get the details in writing and I also take the amount of feedback and length on these forums into account.

SBK1, it may actually be who are taking the chance if the buyer pays with PayPal and the package doesn't arrive. There is a very high probability that PayPal will refund the buyer and, since you didn't insure the package, you could be out the goods and the money.

My Gear

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 14, 2014 12:14 |  #19

gonzogolf wrote in post #16757540 (external link)
For those of you who feel so strongly about the shipper paying the insurance, would you refuse to buy from a seller who itemized the cost that even though his total cost to you was ultimately lower?

I haven't seen a seller that ask for insurance and pp ask for lower price. I'm not saying there isn't any but if they exist, it's a small numbers.

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 14, 2014 12:17 |  #20

runninmann wrote in post #16758025 (external link)
SBK1, it may actually be who are taking the chance if the buyer pays with PayPal and the package doesn't arrive. There is a very high probability that PayPal will refund the buyer and, since you didn't insure the package, you could be out the goods and the money.

That's right. I always buy insurance. It's to cover me. Not the buyer.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,155 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 14, 2014 12:21 |  #21

drive_75 wrote in post #16758327 (external link)
I haven't seen a seller that ask for insurance and pp ask for lower price. I'm not saying there isn't any but if they exist, it's a small numbers.

Perhaps. My point is that the people who are making a fuss about paying the insurance are getting hung up on semantics. If I offer an item and ask for $x shipping. That price may include the insurance that protects me. As long as I dont list it as a separate line they dont know. They seem to be arguing only because its listed.

Boone13
387 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 14, 2014 12:47 |  #22

I think the OP is just saying they don't like thay it's included in the cost regardless of whether it's listed or not. It isn't about schemantics ($120 or $100 + $20) but that it should be $110 or $100 + $10 and the seller covers the $10 for insurance.

Imo, yes the insurance does protect the seller but if $10 or $20 is standing between me and a hella good deal on a lens, charge me the $20 and let's keep it moving.

Some moments are too amazing to be ruined with words.

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 14, 2014 13:01 |  #23

To the OP: You could continue to cry about it or just buy from locals and be done with it.

I swear this forum is full of blow hards and babies.

Some of my feedback

slookx24
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 14, 2014 13:03 |  #24

gonzogolf wrote in post #16758351 (external link)
Perhaps. My point is that the people who are making a fuss about paying the insurance are getting hung up on semantics. If I offer an item and ask for $x shipping. That price may include the insurance that protects me. As long as I dont list it as a separate line they dont know. They seem to be arguing only because its listed.

It's sellers who say something like "buyer pays insurance" is what is annoying. As a buyer, I don't care if you insure what you're shipping me because: 1) if I receive it and it checks out, then fine; or 2) if I receive it and it doesn't check out (or it is never delivered to me), then I'm getting my money back through Paypal.

Insurance is irrelevant to the buyer, so please don't advertise it like it's an extra option available to buyers.

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 14, 2014 13:24 |  #25

gonzogolf wrote in post #16758351 (external link)

You are right but I also like to buy from sellers that seems to be easier to deal with. If there's another item in the same condition sale for close, I would rather buy it from him. Honestly, I see better deal from seller that include all fees. I have bought only twice from seller that ask for pp separate but never from anyone asking insurance separate. Even when I buy from sellers asking for pp fee, it's only because I need the item immediately and their was the best condition or only one available.

I guess I'm always looking for smoth transaction as much as a good deal.

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 14, 2014 13:25 |  #26

I charge extra for the shipping insurance. Seemslike alot of buyers are willing to take the chance.

I strongly recommend you rethink not insuring if the buyer will not pay it.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

Boone13
387 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 14, 2014 13:48 |  #27

hang your cross wrote in post #16758478 (external link)
To the OP: You could continue to cry about it or just buy from locals and be done with it.

With an opinion just like you. Guess they're wrong because you don't agree. ;-)a

Some moments are too amazing to be ruined with words.

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 14, 2014 13:54 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

There is the door....Im sure that with your attitude you will make friends fast elsewhere.:rolleyes:

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,850 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 14, 2014 14:10 |  #29

"blow hard" is one word. Just like jackass.

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 14, 2014 14:25 |  #30

mpix345 wrote in post #16758650 (external link)
"blow hard" is one word. Just like jackass.

Good one! :lol:

My Gear

sponsored links

5,837 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sellers charging buyers for shipping insurance
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.