Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 13 Mar 2014 (Thursday) 18:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Your camera takes nice pictures

NatDeroxL7
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 13, 2014 18:27 |  #1

To quote the apple iphone 5s website:

" So anyone anywhere can take an amazing photo at any time. It simply makes more sense to teach iPhone how to take a great picture rather than teach people how to be expert photographers."

:)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/52047419@N04/ (external link)
http://mpdphotography.​wordpress.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
OhLook
you get what you get
19,348 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 13, 2014 18:31 |  #2

Written by someone who gets along better with machines than with humans.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

ERJL
384 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 13, 2014 18:36 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

^Sad but true OhLook.

-ERJL

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 13, 2014 21:23 |  #4

I see it also says this:

"Just aim and shoot. That's it."

Wait just one cotton-pickin' minute! You still have to aim the thing?!

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,224 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 14, 2014 10:03 |  #5

Seriously. Is that really on there? Got to be one errant staffer. I cannot believe an organization would put something as stupid as that in print for public consumption. If Apple's PR and marketing department were aware of it, it would probably be down in a second.

Website (external link) |

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 14, 2014 13:18 |  #6

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #16758005 (external link)
Seriously. Is that really on there? Got to be one errant staffer. I cannot believe an organization would put something as stupid as that in print for public consumption. If Apple's PR and marketing department were aware of it, it would probably be down in a second.

Their marketing department has succeeded in getting me to visit the iPhone website (external link). Granted, I'm not real interested in the product, but I do enjoy quotations such as this:

"What makes the iSight camera so remarkable
is how beautiful photos look without you having to do anything
at all. Just aim and shoot. That's it.
"

Turns out picture-taking is really easy peasy!

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 14, 2014 13:35 |  #7

Why am I not surprised? That's right up there with this gem from a Google exec:

"Photography today is too hard. It's too hard to create treasures," Google executive Vic Gundotra told reporters......

... while discussing new online editing tools he refers to as "auto awesome". :rolleyes:

Or the infamous Marissa Meyer quote:

…there’s no such thing as Flickr Pro, because today, with cameras as pervasive as they are, there is no such thing really as professional photographers, when there’s everything is professional photographers.....

OhLook wrote in post #16756715 (external link)
Written by someone who gets along better with machines than with humans.

I'd have to agree with this, to an extent. Really I think that people there are just very insulated from the rest of the world. They think that intagram/twitter/faceb​ook/etc. are ubiquitous everywhere since they are near universal in Silicon Valley/SF Bay area.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,492 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 14, 2014 13:41 |  #8

"Your camera takes nice pictures"

Yes it does, as long as I'm the one that decides whats in the frame and when to push the shutter.

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 14, 2014 13:44 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Sadly a lot of people just believe that a good picture is a product of just how good your camera is. Some of these Apple fanboys go to the extent of saying that an IPhone takes just as good if not better pics than any other pro or semipro camera out there.

Whenever someone says to me "that's a great picture you have there, you must have a really good camera" I reply, "well all those awesome paintings you look at and admire at the museum must be due to the fact that those guys had some really good brushes, right?" LOL!

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 14, 2014 13:56 |  #10

Not surprising. Apple is all about selling a lie and a dream. Apple is 'just better'. Using an apple product with its awesome sleek designs will make you cooler, and your work will be far better than if you used a curdy old windows machine like some uncool old guy who does his taxes or something.

They will say anything that makes them look good, and claim that anything good was their idea, and that they are revolutionary, when they haven't really presented any kind of a truly unique idea since the 80s.

Good gear is a very important part of creating something good from all your hard work.

Sure, one can use something that is less than ideal, and still come out with something that looks good, but it isn't going to be as easy. (So yes, my camera Does capture very nice images.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,232 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 14, 2014 14:46 as a reply to  @ Luckless's post |  #11

I am not out to engage in an Apple vs. PC debate (we have enough "versus" discussion on here), but form and function can coexist. Windows XP is Microsoft's most popular and beloved OS, with the company still struggling to pull people away from it after the release of Vista, the well-received 7, and the controversial 8.

Well, when I switched from XP to then OS X Panther, the improvements, particularly in navigation, were substantial. My workload sped up, and my computer life was far less annoying. This is my experience; it's anecdotal, though certainly not unique, and it's not debatable (lest one wants to start telling me what colors I should like).

The point is that function proved the main appeal, but much like purchasing a vehicle, it's nice if the package looks nice and is well built as well. That's what Apple does despite its own marketing embellishments and pretensions. Consequently, criticism over Apple's hip smugness, when directed at the products themselves, often ends up as superfluous as Apple's questionable gloatings.

As for innovations, I think Apple has done quite a bit in the past decade, making things like mpeg players and cellphones actually useable. Cellphones, in particular (including the much vaunted Motorola Razr models), were hideously deplorable machines...hated them all!

Anyway, these "nice camera" discussions always seem to generate some interesting crosscurrents. On one hand, folks understandably feel that their skills are insulted and trivialized. Yet, in the same breath, they mock the lesser camera in contrast to their DSLR. It's really a bit of a paradox. You know, don't praise the camera, the one that I spent US$3,000 on.

In any event, as far as ads claiming professional results with just a click of the button, Apple does not have an exclusive hold on these by any means given that such marketing probably dates back a century or so. Nothing new here folks.

That's it. I'm out, but PM's always welcome.

July 2018-July 2019 (external link)
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 14, 2014 14:53 |  #12

Is it not just marketing propaganda? Hyperbole is commonplace and, dare I say, encouraged.

The barbecue place down the street has a big sign that says "The best ribs in the world... GUARANTEED." He's got a couple of smokers in the parking lot and sells out of deli counter in the back of a gas station. They're pretty good ribs, but I've had better.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,492 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 14, 2014 14:57 |  #13

sjones I switched to Mac Pro a few years back and never regretted either. I have had a lot less problems with just about everything since the switch. Function is the reason I will stay with Mac...

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,550 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 14, 2014 15:31 |  #14

IPhones are not at the edge of technology anymore. They are trying to compensate loss in market share by clueless speeches.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 14, 2014 15:38 |  #15

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16758789 (external link)
sjones I switched to Mac Pro a few years back and never regretted either. I have had a lot less problems with just about everything since the switch. Function is the reason I will stay with Mac...

Ditto for me. I'm getting myself a new computer soon, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be an iMac, and not because of coolaid.

kf095 wrote in post #16758885 (external link)
IPhones are not at the edge of technology anymore. They are trying to compensate loss in market share by clueless speeches.

So long as iPhones run on iOS, they'll have people who will use them... a relative of mine uses a Samsung android smartphone, and that OS is the most terrible thing I have ever used, I keep trying to get him to save himself the hassle of trying to use it and get an iPhone instead.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

sponsored links

4,946 views & 0 likes for this thread
Your camera takes nice pictures
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.