Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 13 Mar 2014 (Thursday) 15:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sellers charging buyers for shipping insurance

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,683 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 14, 2014 14:30 |  #31

slookx24 wrote in post #16758479 (external link)
It's sellers who say something like "buyer pays insurance" is what is annoying. As a buyer, I don't care if you insure what you're shipping me because: 1) if I receive it and it checks out, then fine; or 2) if I receive it and it doesn't check out (or it is never delivered to me), then I'm getting my money back through Paypal.

Insurance is irrelevant to the buyer, so please don't advertise it like it's an extra option available to buyers.

I rather doubt any sane seller makes it an option, but you are getting hung up on words rather than net costs.

sponsored links
moose10101
registered smartass
1,715 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Mar 14, 2014 14:30 |  #32

hang your cross wrote in post #16758478 (external link)
To the OP: You could continue to cry about it or just buy from locals and be done with it.

I swear this forum is full of blow hards and babies.

And people who encourage fraud:

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=16718032#po​st16718032

Exactly what cross are we hanging here, anyway?

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 14, 2014 14:35 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

^^Why am I not surprised? I hope this guy does go away. I prefer to be a baby than a fraud encouraging individual.

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 14, 2014 16:47 |  #34

I have tons of friends not worried about people on here. And I never had any complaints about my selling, buying or anything in regards to business transactions.

To the Grammar Police, give it up. A spelling mistake doesn't negate a prrson's intelligence.

No ****s given.

Some of my feedback

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 14, 2014 16:48 |  #35

Also Paypal would get their money back from the scammer's bank account.

Some of my feedback

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 14, 2014 17:01 |  #36

SBK1 wrote in post #16757634 (external link)
I charge extra for the shipping insurance. Seemslike alot of buyers are willing to take the chance. I always give them the option UP FRONT so they know the drill. All depends on the items and its worth as well. And when I buy smoething from here, I always get the details in writing and I also take the amount of feedback and length on these forums into account.

As noted above, if you use PayPal and the buyer doesn't get their item, they *will* get their money back, whether or not they paid extra for insurance.

The same mistake is still made on eBay by many sellers. Saying "I am not responsible if you don't buy insurance" in the listing makes no difference at all. Insurance is there to protect the seller.

As a seller I never list the insurance cost as it is factored into the total cost. As soon as you break it out into a separate cost somebody will not want to pay it. It is either included in the S&H or in the total item price if I'm providing free shipping.

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 14, 2014 18:10 |  #37

After a few scares this winter season with USPS, I will be charging extra on my S&H to cover shipping insurance. If you want to get mad at someone over shipping insurance costs, blame the shipping carrier, not the seller. As I see it, it should be the carrier's responsibility not to lose/damage an item. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case, and it's pretty hard for a seller to win an argument with a government agency. Of course, the cure for all this surcharge madness is to buy from local sellers and pay in cash, which is why I always offer that option when I list an item on here.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 14, 2014 18:58 |  #38

hang your cross wrote in post #16759036 (external link)
To the Grammar Police, give it up. A spelling mistake doesn't negate a prrson's intelligence.

No ****s given.

But not getting a simple joke and really thinking anyone cares about your lack of grammar or spelling skills may speak to that intelligence, at least a little. :)

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 14, 2014 19:43 |  #39

:rolleyes:

Some of my feedback

moose10101
registered smartass
1,715 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Mar 15, 2014 12:54 |  #40

hang your cross wrote in post #16759355 (external link)
:rolleyes:

Uh, oh, he's broken out the heavy artillery again.

Does mom let your tons of friends visit you in the basement?

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,406 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 15, 2014 13:52 |  #41

slookx24 wrote in post #16757297 (external link)
Exactly what OP says....

I'm saying sellers shouldn't charge buyers extra for insurance as if it's an extra service for the buyer. Sellers should include insurance into their price to cover their own butts. Don't put the onus on the buyer.

Bottom line... if seller factors in the insurance & shipping to the price, your still paying for it as buyer, so as long as you agree to buy at asking price.

I really dont see why folks make a big deal out of it.. One way or the other it still comes out to be the same. If I want an item and need it, I will buy it either way you factor the price.

There are others that wont buy because the way the sale is structured, and conversely others could care less. As I said, it still comes down to the same either way.

The seller may want to be payed for insurance, so the seller will either factor it in, or ask for it sperately to protect his butt .. That buyer will do the same when its there turn to sale, if item is worth insuring.

Something to consider to the folks that would like to have an all inclusive price that covers all purchasing and shipping charges.
Does the seller price it as its going from east coast to west coast, or perhaps it's one state next to the other. Those would be different rates. So we rate it at most expensive to cover all situations. Whereas if its rated for one specific shipping needs , the chances are it would be less. So perhaps it may be more advantageous to quote shipping and insurance separately rather than built into the price.

My Gear flickr (external link)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 15, 2014 16:20 |  #42

Bianchi makes some good points. But for me it comes back to the seller being responsible for getting me the item, and wanting a simple transaction. If the seller is offering insurance I'm not feeling so sure that he understands his responsibilities in the transaction. And if I have to go back and forth on multiple PMs to negotiate every nickel for PP fees and shipping and insurance I'm probably better off to just wait for someone who is selling with an "all in" price.

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,431 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 15, 2014 17:04 |  #43

Similar or the same.

For those that own homes and is required to pay Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI) - who pays it and who benefits from it? Btw, I know the answer. I am just pointing out that sometimes that's just the way it is. Or, Just Life.

It's just easier to factor in all costs and sell that way. No looking up zip codes for shipping and insurance when there's an inquiry. The buyer knows the end price up front - no nicke and dim'n. That just drives me crazy and away from buying the item. My sells, over $100, will be insured and require a signature - period (me covered). I have sold a few items under $100 without signature required, but it had the minimum insurance included by the carrier.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 15, 2014 19:34 |  #44

Bianchi wrote in post #16760690 (external link)
Bottom line... if seller factors in the insurance & shipping to the price, your still paying for it as buyer, so as long as you agree to buy at asking price.

I think the point folks are trying to make is that even if the buyer declines to pay the cost of insurance, it is still on the seller, as that is who it is protecting,to cover so include it in the asking price or cover the costs?

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

Greg ­ M
299 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Mar 15, 2014 22:00 |  #45

SBK1 wrote in post #16757634 (external link)
I charge extra for the shipping insurance. Seemslike alot of buyers are willing to take the chance. I always give them the option UP FRONT so they know the drill. All depends on the items and its worth as well. And when I buy smoething from here, I always get the details in writing and I also take the amount of feedback and length on these forums into account.

As a buyer I would decline the extra charge for insurance if it's an option. Why? Because I don't need it. If something happens in shipping it will never be on me because it's always on the seller. Item doesn't arrive or arrives damaged then it's the seller that looses, not the buyer. Simple call to my CC company and the charges are reversed.

I find it funny that some sellers think that insurance is for the buyer. They haven't got a clue!!!

sponsored links

6,452 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sellers charging buyers for shipping insurance
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.