Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 22:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My 6D is a lot better sports camera than my 7d

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,091 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 14, 2014 20:49 |  #241

Mornnb wrote in post #16758988 (external link)
I am a 6D fanboy, it's image sensor is perfect and the camera is wonderfully lightweight. But I also shoot sports and need a camera that can do a decent job at it, that's the 7D not the 6D...

I agree with this. But it's no sports by any means.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 14, 2014 21:15 |  #242

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16759475 (external link)
The 7D has had some that had AF issues, but it is not a rampant issue. Much like the issues around the 70D currently, if there was a problem, it was with a batch or regional manufacturing lot.

So they 70D has issues now, too?

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 14, 2014 21:21 |  #243

Mark_Mason wrote in post #16759458 (external link)
Frame rate matters. I shoot a lot of shooters that are shooting machineguns on full auto. No one here can time a muzzle flash and get it right. A high frame rate burst during a burst of fire, will get you more keepers per shoot. It's pretty simple math.

QUOTED IMAGE

I would be to differ because it depends on the muzzle device and powder on the weapon. Say a gun has a Noveske "pig" you can get some decent flames and the muzzle type on your sample photo always generates flames given that a specific power is used and can be captured by time it right. I also do firearm shots and agree with you but at the same breath you can anticipate and time it right to get this.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7239/13158499603_fbecd9499d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/m3LK​uP  (external link)

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

sjones
Goldmember
2,244 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 14, 2014 21:39 as a reply to  @ OuttaCtrl's post |  #244

Well, it appears (actually not a new revelation at all, more of a reaffirmation) that as video stills become more acceptable as high-resolution photos, a good chunk of you will be switching to video, at least during the exposure process, and that's fine. Whatever it takes, especially if income is involved. However, I'm sticking with photography myself.

July 2019-July 2020 (external link)
Just glad not to be blinded by myopic pedantry.

Mark_Mason
597 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 14, 2014 22:09 |  #245

OuttaCtrl wrote in post #16759540 (external link)
I would be to differ because it depends on the muzzle device and powder on the weapon. Say a gun has a Noveske "pig" you can get some decent flames and the muzzle type on your sample photo always generates flames given that a specific power is used and can be captured by time it right. I also do firearm shots and agree with you but at the same breath you can anticipate and time it right to get this.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/m3LK​uP  (external link)

Oh don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of timing my shots too. But if you want to increase the odds of more keepers from a burst of full auto fire, higher frame rates are where it's at. I will shoot using timing a lot when shooting the slower strings of fire. In fact I prefer to do it that way so I don't have 1.6 trillion frames to sort through at the end of the day.

Canon Stuff

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,275 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 16, 2014 07:08 as a reply to  @ Mark_Mason's post |  #246

I'm sitting here looking at my first Canon camera. The continuous shooting rate is one thumb per frame...

Anders

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,654 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 16, 2014 10:34 |  #247

apersson850 wrote in post #16762011 (external link)
I'm sitting here looking at my first Canon camera. The continuous shooting rate is one thumb per frame...

You'd get a better keeper rate with an index finger per frame...:D

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

jdouglas003
THREAD ­ STARTER
392 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 18, 2014 22:07 |  #248

Dear TeamSpead, it's obvious that you have a lot of time invested in this forum. It probably took you quite some time to build your internet self esteem up to the point it is today. I sincerely apologize to you for coming on here and making such a bold statement. I mean for me to say that one of my cameras works better than the other for me in sports and that I get a lot more keepers must have sounded quite ridiculous to you the rest of the gang. I can understand why you guys felt the need to make the snide remarks a lot better since I was banned and had a chance to cool off. It was very therapeutic.
Again I sincerely do apologize. I noticed all of the references you made to me while I was banned. I would really like the opportunity to meet you in person one day to see if you are the same as your internet persona makes you out to be here. If you are the same in person I would simply smile and bid you farewell.
Just fyi, I have been published in newspapers, magazines and on espn.com for HS sports photography. This dates to back to the early 1980's when I was employed as a staff photographer for a newspaper. I have not shot sports for pay, other than team and individual pictures, since 2007
Every picture on my site was probably shot with either a 20D, 30D or 40D. There may be some with the 7D but I'm not sure. Bottom line is that I know who I am, what I've done and what I'm capable of doing and it never crossed my mind that there was any need for me to attempt to prove myself here.
I won't comment here again, at least no time soon. I wish you all well.

http://www.movingexpos​ure.com (external link)
Portrait, Event, Sports Phtography (external link)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 18, 2014 22:44 |  #249
bannedPermanent ban

jdouglas003 wrote in post #16769071 (external link)
Dear TeamSpead, it's obvious that you have a lot of time invested in this forum. It probably took you quite some time to build your internet self esteem up to the point it is today. I sincerely apologize to you for coming on here and making such a bold statement. I mean for me to say that one of my cameras works better than the other for me in sports and that I get a lot more keepers must have sounded quite ridiculous to you the rest of the gang. I can understand why you guys felt the need to make the snide remarks a lot better since I was banned and had a chance to cool off. It was very therapeutic.
Again I sincerely do apologize. I noticed all of the references you made to me while I was banned. I would really like the opportunity to meet you in person one day to see if you are the same as your internet persona makes you out to be here. If you are the same in person I would simply smile and bid you farewell.
Just fyi, I have been published in newspapers, magazines and on espn.com for HS sports photography. This dates to back to the early 1980's when I was employed as a staff photographer for a newspaper. I have not shot sports for pay, other than team and individual pictures, since 2007
Every picture on my site was probably shot with either a 20D, 30D or 40D. There may be some with the 7D but I'm not sure. Bottom line is that I know who I am, what I've done and what I'm capable of doing and it never crossed my mind that there was any need for me to attempt to prove myself here.

I'm sorry you feel the need to clarify/apologize...

Dave

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,275 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 19, 2014 04:41 |  #250

...I mean for me to say that one of my cameras works better than the other for me in sports and that I get a lot more keepers must have sounded quite ridiculous to you the rest of the gang.

No, but making such a statement without any example or further detail to show why you felt like that made us all guessing, as good as we could. Some guesses were right, some wrong.

That's a pity, since it's by communicating we get to understand and know each other a little better. Now when everyone has cooled off, it's pretty easy to see that so called snide remarks were sent in all directions.

So let's all stay cooled off and keep the discussion going in a constructive manner. All the best to you too, jdouglas!

Anders

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,284 posts
Gallery: 350 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 19, 2014 06:17 |  #251

"My 6D is a lot better sports camera than my 7d"

what on earth is wrong with your 7D then? Ive used a mates 6D and it is not that good at catching fast action, a shot here and there but does not keep up with the 7D, likewise the 7D does not keep up with the 1D series cameras, its a fact...

FUJI XT3 CANON 5D3 & a bunch of lenses for both
https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,998 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 19, 2014 12:08 |  #252

I appreciate the specific attention you are paying to me, despite the fact that I only talked about you in one reply after your 1 week ban started.

It really doesn't matter how published you are, or what equipment you have shot with, when it comes to the 7D. In fact, I would say that if your major experience is with those cameras, and the length of time is long with those cameras, it would be a detriment to learning the 7D. The 7D is a vastly different camera over the 20D, 30D, or 40D, in feature, resolution (which has more aggressive requirements), etc.

I have shot with all of those as well, in addition to the 50D, 1D3, 1D4, 5D, 5D2, and 5D3. The 7D is closer to the 1D series than the previous xxD series. The 6D is closer to the 20D, 30D, and 40Ds that you have used, and therefore it's no wonder you are more comfortable with it. It has better IQ than the 7D, and if your comfort/familiarity with that is higher than with the 7D, it is simply logical to conclude your results will be better in many situations. However that says nothing of the 6D or 7D in general, since it is the human factor making the difference here.

I have helped many people with that specific model, and in most cases, the problems they were having were due to their misunderstanding, ignorance, or lack of experience on how to set the camera up, and adjust things like micro focus, picture styles and CF settings to get the most from the raw, to mention a couple. If you come from a 1D background, the 7D isn't really that hard to understand, but the other way is a larger chasm to jump across.

Good luck in your future endeavors. :)

EDIT: And no, I needed no time to build up a internet esteem factor here, I had this attitude from the beginning in 2004. :lol:

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 19, 2014 13:25 |  #253

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16770431 (external link)
I appreciate the specific attention you are paying to me, despite the fact that I only talked about you in one reply after your 1 week ban started.

It really doesn't matter how published you are, or what equipment you have shot with, when it comes to the 7D. In fact, I would say that if your major experience is with those cameras, and the length of time is long with those cameras, it would be a detriment to learning the 7D. The 7D is a vastly different camera over the 20D, 30D, or 40D, in feature, resolution (which has more aggressive requirements), etc.

I have shot with all of those as well, in addition to the 50D, 1D3, 1D4, 5D, 5D2, and 5D3. The 7D is closer to the 1D series than the previous xxD series. The 6D is closer to the 20D, 30D, and 40Ds that you have used, and therefore it's no wonder you are more comfortable with it. It has better IQ than the 7D, and if your comfort/familiarity with that is higher than with the 7D, it is simply logical to conclude your results will be better in many situations. However that says nothing of the 6D or 7D in general, since it is the human factor making the difference here.

I have helped many people with that specific model, and in most cases, the problems they were having were due to their misunderstanding, ignorance, or lack of experience on how to set the camera up, and adjust things like micro focus, picture styles and CF settings to get the most from the raw, to mention a couple. If you come from a 1D background, the 7D isn't really that hard to understand, but the other way is a larger chasm to jump across.

Good luck in your future endeavors. :)

EDIT: And no, I needed no time to build up a internet esteem factor here, I had this attitude from the beginning in 2004. :lol:

I thought my jump from the Rebel XT to the 40D was a big one. I had no idea how small it was compared to my jump from the 40D to the 7D. And micro focus is a God send btw. Especially on my 80-200L when shooting birds or flowers.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony ZV-1 || Sony a7RIV || Sony a9 || Sony FE 20mm f1.8 G || Sony FE 24-70 f2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55 f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM OSS || Sony FE 200-600 f5.6-6.3 G OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

h14nha
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 19, 2014 17:12 |  #254

jdouglas003 wrote in post #16737799 (external link)
Didn't have to do any micro lens adjustment crap either.

This was the thing that I thought was a stupid statement. The rest is perfectly normal of people with opposing ideas thrashing it out. Micro Adjust is an amazing feature and has revolutionised some of my lens.

Telling people to "get a freaking life" and calling them "saddos" will only get negative posts towards you.

That being said, keep posting, we all have different needs from our gear and the arguments are entertaining :lol:

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

sponsored links

37,177 views & 0 likes for this thread
My 6D is a lot better sports camera than my 7d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.