Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Mar 2013 (Sunday) 07:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gee, your camera takes great pictures...

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,656 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 29, 2013 21:24 |  #76

LV Moose wrote in post #16164493 (external link)
.... It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my Canon is useless. Without my Canon, I am useless. I must fire my Canon true. I must shoot straighter than the Nikonian who is trying to humiliate me. I must best him before he bests me. I will. My Canon and I know that what counts in photography is not the sensor size we use, the speed of our burst, or the shutter-count we rack up. We know that it is the image that counts. We will nail it.

But aren't there also people who are serious about photography? ;)

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

sponsored links
ejenner
Goldmember
3,860 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 14, 2014 23:02 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #77

I had the opposite experience today.

Was hanging out in the zoo taking pictures of a new Tawny Frogmouth chick and a lady who was also taking pictures asked if she could see what I got when I said I thought I got a decent shot. I don't normally show people my LCD, actually try not to, but she seemed friendly enough.

Anyway she looks at the shots and just said 'well you have a really nice camera' sort of as in 'your shots are crap, but at least you have a nice camera'.

I don't think she meant it like that, but maybe she did, either way it may be chuckle.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, 35 f2 IS, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 14, 2014 23:21 |  #78

I can Share a story of this nature, While on Vacation with my father in Montana His friends came with him and one of them was a Photographer wanna be and he was critiquing everyone's shots He would say Lemmee see it and Ill tell you what your doing wrong.....
he had a TI1 I think So I took some really out of focus shot of the Mountains and asked him how to get them into focus I handed him my 70D and said set it to take pictures correctly.... He said Take it off Manual and put it in Program or AI (Automatic ISO) He had some really Goofy shots. And After the trip in the Airport I told him His shots looks like he needs to Take lessons.... He got real Quiet..

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,589 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 14, 2014 23:34 |  #79

LV Moose wrote in post #16164527 (external link)
Oorah!

Oorah, indeed! That was excellent, Moose!

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

CMfromIL
623 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 15, 2014 20:29 |  #80

Honestly, it really doesn't bother me when people say that 'you must have a great camera'...because I do. And I also realize they are in fact, complimenting me.

As far as gear vs skill, it would be foolish to minimize the impact of great gear. No more than to expect the most skilled Nascar driver to win the next race if we put them in a Yugo.

Gear does play a role. That being said...the best gear in the world in the hands of someone that understands light, composition will always win vs an unskilled person with the same gear.

Like me on facebook! http://www.facebook.co​m/CollinMcKahinPhotogr​aphy (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,234 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 15, 2014 22:32 |  #81

CMfromIL wrote in post #16761384 (external link)
...As far as gear vs skill, it would be foolish to minimize the impact of great gear. No more than to expect the most skilled Nascar driver to win the next race if we put them in a Yugo...

Great gear for photography can be a pinhole camera, or as one might say, the "Yugo" of cameras. Great photography cannot be measured by a stopwatch.

July 2018-July 2019 (external link)
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,643 posts
Gallery: 158 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 15, 2014 22:49 |  #82

sjones wrote in post #16761573 (external link)
Great gear for photography can be a pinhole camera, or as one might say, the "Yugo" of cameras. Great photography cannot be measured by a stopwatch.

Well said. I have a really good friend that show an amazing body of work wit ha Holga. She had several large exhibits with the work. It was powerful and that was the perfect tool for the that project and they way the images needed to look for the intent. So that Holga was great gear for what she needed to achieve with that project. I own on of the pieces for that body of work.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,643 posts
Gallery: 158 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 15, 2014 22:51 |  #83

Scrumhalf wrote in post #16759709 (external link)
Oorah, indeed! That was excellent, Moose!

Stand at ease jarheads.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 16, 2014 00:38 |  #84

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16761599 (external link)
Stand at ease jarheads.

Ah, Marines! Those with necks of leather and heads of jar!

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 16, 2014 00:41 |  #85

CMfromIL wrote in post #16761384 (external link)
As far as gear vs skill, it would be foolish to minimize the impact of great gear. No more than to expect the most skilled Nascar driver to win the next race if we put them in a Yugo.

Yugo?! Isn't that what you holler out the window at every light if you're driving one? "Yugo! I'm stuck!"

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by NBEast. (5 edits in all)

Nov 11, 2016 11:05 |  #86

DC Fan wrote in post #15749318 (external link)
From personal experience, the best and simplest answer is "Thanks."

I take sports shots for the school and club teams to share with fellow parents. Probably every 5th "thank you" makes some comment like this one.

"Those are amazing pics! So fun to see what you capture with your high speed shutter and zoom lens. Thanks so much!"

I'm so tempted to make clever responses that illustrate their misplaced gratitude and ignorance about what it really takes; but they do mean well.

In the end I just say "Thanks, glad you enjoyed them." I'm such a chicken - but it does make for keeping friendships.  :p

Gear List / Photos (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 11, 2016 11:31 |  #87
bannedPermanent ban

My wife generally posts my shots of family events on Facebook. I get lots of compliments and encouragement. "You're take such nice pictures. You should be a pro." No thanks. I enjoy what I do way too much to ruin it with other folks' expectations. But at least they compliment me, not my gear. (And they don't see the 80-90% of shots I discard before my wife gets to them.)

I was in a local park recently, shooting ducks, squirrels, and scantily dressed... never mind. Anyway, a local TV-news reporter approached me to ask the "Community question of the day". I obliged and we had a nice 3-minute conversation. Afterwards, she asked is she could see my photos. I asked her camera man if I could see today's footage. They both understood. I made the evening news anyway.

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 12, 2016 13:05 |  #88

I really think that when the average person says, "Your camera takes good pictures" that is exactly what they mean. Typically they aren't noticing the lighting, composition, DOF, post processing, etc. that are the result of your artistic skill so much as the technical aspects of the photo that result from good glass, a large sensor, fast shutter, good dynamic range, etc. Ask them what they like about the photo and I bet more often than not the response will be, "It's so sharp!".

Anyway, I agree that the best response is, "Thank you, I appreciate that."

:-D

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

abacus022
Goldmember
1,341 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 23, 2016 15:24 |  #89

My mother used to say they looked just like postcards. Technically a little insulting to the creativity angle of my shots, but I knew she meant well and decided to take it as she meant it.

Then I heard remark on someones really crappy picture, by any standard. Looks just like a postcard.

Sooo, she either has a really bad postcard source, or she has no idea what a good picture should look like.

Canon EOS R, 7D mkII, 6D
Lenses: Tamron 28-300, Tamron 18-270, Sigma 150-500, Canon 50, Sigma 28, Sigma 2X TC
www.photographyByAbacu​s.com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/abacus22 (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,234 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 24, 2016 08:55 |  #90

Radtech1 wrote in post #15749160 (external link)
I finally saw the perfect response to the comment, "Gee, your camera takes great pictures".

Thanks to Shoppesatire (external link), (a subblog of The Shoppe - Actions and Designs (external link)) my new response is "Thanks, I taught it everything it knows."

(Best of the batch at Bored Panda (external link))

Actually, I think inserting a little more obnoxious sarcasm would drive home the point more permanently.

Here's a good response.

Say "Thank you. Let me show you how it works!" Then put your camera down on a rock, a table, the floor - wherever you are. Then stand over it and stare at it for a while. Then say "Well, gee. I guess the camera doesn't take pictures by itself. Funny that! I guess it needs someone to operate it and create the pictures."

Then grab your camera and walk away. Unless the person is completely dense, they'll get it.

Website (external link) |

sponsored links

16,813 views & 26 likes for this thread
Gee, your camera takes great pictures...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.