Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 15 Mar 2014 (Saturday) 14:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lee DSLR Starter Kit, best start to 100mm filter system?

RileyNZL
612 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined Apr 2013

Mar 15, 2014 14:01 |  #1

Been looking at finally investing in a 100mm filter system, is the DSLR Starter kit the best way to get started? Also does anyone know if it only has a single filter holder, or has 3 filters holders as I can't tell if this is an optional extra, or included?

Is there a downside to the Wide Angle adaptors, I'm guessing there must be or there would be no reason for the "Standard" ones to exist.

And lastly, if I get the start kit, and want to start expanding on it, is a soft grad a good next option?

Canon 1Dx |Canon 6D|Canon 24-70 F2.8 L MkII|Canon 16-35 F4 L|Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX OS|Canon 400mm f5.6 L|Sigma 50mm F1.4|Canon 600EX's|Gitzo Explorer Tripod|

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 15, 2014 20:31 |  #2

IMO, yes, the Lee is the best if you're going for a filter system.

It is a single holder, with 3 slots, so the original configuration can hold 3 filters. You don't needs to buy anything else.

The wide angle adaptors cost more, that is the downside. But your question really should swap the subjects around and ask about the downside to the standard adapters, as the downside is vignetting at wide angles, which is why the wide angle adaptors exist.
Previously, the standard adapters were also a 2-piece design with metal and plastic parts, this was also a downside. This is now no longer the case, and the standard adapters are all-metal.

I would avoid the starter kit. The coral grad is pointless. You'd be better off getting the following: 1x 0.9 hard grad ND, 1x 0.9 soft grad ND

You can reverse the hard grad to make a 0.9 solid ND, so you effectively have 3 filters (though only 2 can be used at any one time obviously)

Alternatively, you can replace the 0.9 soft with an 0.6 soft.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,482 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 15, 2014 20:44 |  #3

Pretty much what Tom said; just get the wide angle adapter(s) and you'll be set for any of your lenses in that filter size. After the initial buy, I'd work up to adding one, each of the .6 filters as well; stacking those when two .9s are too much is handy.

Their 100x100 polarizer is a fantastic addition to that kit, as well.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

RileyNZL
THREAD ­ STARTER
612 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Mar 15, 2014 21:16 |  #4

Cheers guys, the start kit I was looking at doesn't come with the coral, but rather a 0.6 hard grad and 0.6 ND, but I think I'm better off doing like you said and getting the 0.9 hard and soft.

I'm interested in the polarizer but both square and the 105mm ones all seem out of stock atm. Is it worth getting the Pro Holder so I can rotate a square one, or is being able to rotate it 90 degrees in a normal holder enough?

Canon 1Dx |Canon 6D|Canon 24-70 F2.8 L MkII|Canon 16-35 F4 L|Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX OS|Canon 400mm f5.6 L|Sigma 50mm F1.4|Canon 600EX's|Gitzo Explorer Tripod|

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Mar 16, 2014 00:26 |  #5

RileyNZL wrote in post #16761456 (external link)
ut of stock atm. Is it worth getting the Pro Holder so I can rotate a square one, or is being able to rotate it 90 degrees in a normal holder enough?

This is a very lengthy thread on this topic as many others have had this same question over the years. However, everyone who has ever actually tired it this says it works quite well, even if you can't always rotate it maximally when in combination with GNDs. Note there is a front and back side to the filter (front will "Lee" being readable.

https://photography-on-the.net …9&highlight=Lee​+Polarizer
search in this forum for Lee Polarizer.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

RileyNZL
THREAD ­ STARTER
612 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Mar 16, 2014 09:37 |  #6

Cheers mike, thinking of getting the starter kit (holder 0.6 ND, 0.6 hard Grad etc) and then a 0.9 soft grad for now, then getting the square polarizer and other filters when I can afford them/they are in stock in New Zealand.

sponsored links

1,993 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lee DSLR Starter Kit, best start to 100mm filter system?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.