Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Mar 2014 (Friday) 08:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can't we all just get along?

patrick023
526 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 14, 2014 23:47 |  #31

Hey now, I still think the 30D was a worthless upgrade over the 20D! :D

1Ds3 | 5Dmk3 | 6D | 7D | 20D | EF 17-40 f/4 L | 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 135 f/2L | EF 24-70 f/2.8L vII | EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L vII | EF 70-200 f/4 L | Sigma 170-500 | A ton of speedlights and Einsteins
My work: www.p3photo.com (external link) | My facebook: https://www.facebook.c​om/P3PhotoKC (external link)

sponsored links
1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 15, 2014 00:25 |  #32

grayline wrote in post #16759712 (external link)
:eyes^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:confused:Yup EXACCCTLY!!
Who Cares!!To each is own The Whole (Mine is better than yours is sooo old)

Yep, there's a reason it's old. It's called man's competitiveness.. a much-needed emotion when we had to get meat and fire/shelter for the family. It will never go away though.

Edit: If it weren't for this "mine is better than yours" thinking, we'd still be back in the stone age. :p

Kel
Gear

elfy
812 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 15, 2014 02:25 |  #33

1Tanker wrote in post #16759770 (external link)
Yep, there's a reason it's old. It's called man's competitiveness.. a much-needed emotion when we had to get meat and fire/shelter for the family. It will never go away though.

Edit: If it weren't for this "mine is better than yours" thinking, we'd still be back in the stone age. :p

Nothing wrong with being competitive, but I'd rather be competitive about something that matters. By all means strive to make better images than everyone else. Gear really is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Here's my gear: Canon 1100D, 18-55mm kit lens, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 55-250mm, Speedlite 430EX flashgun
A Year In Photos - My Project365 (external link)
www.colinelliotphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 15, 2014 05:38 |  #34

nathancarter wrote in post #16758211 (external link)
Nobody takes a crop sensor seriously any more.

Absolutely, all those 1D and 5D crop sensor cameras are just childish toys. Real photographers use medium format.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,929 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 15, 2014 06:28 |  #35

gjl711 wrote in post #16758160 (external link)
I don't see a problem discussing the virtues of one camera over another, that's what the gear forums are all about. The 7D vs. 70D threads are just a continuation of a long tradition of comparing the latest to the previous generation of cameras. It's been going on ever since I joined POTN. Some get carried away and get personal but the mods do a great job shutting those down rather quickly. But if you're tired of all the debate the answer is simple, skip those threads. There is no requirement that you read or participate in the debate.

+1
I find the debates useful in getting educated on new gear features, and user real life experiences. Sure, they sometimes get out of hand.

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 15, 2014 10:13 |  #36

There's no debate. Obviously the 70D is ten times as good as the 7D.

Sony A7 III and some lenses

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 15, 2014 10:28 |  #37

7d, 70d, 5d mark IIXV whatever, come on guys, we all know Nikon's better.

No but really, real men shoot sheet film. Size matters.

:)

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 15, 2014 12:01 |  #38

My 6D is only 86% as good as the 7D. It's a mathematical fact.

Sony A7 III and some lenses

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 15, 2014 12:58 |  #39

ejenner wrote in post #16759664 (external link)
^ this /all threads.

People just don't what to admit a crop is better than their fancy FULL frame. 'Crop' is too close of a work to 'crap' and FULL just sounds sooo gooood it's got to be better, right? Canon came out with the first affordable FF and that worked out well so the marketing gimmick '6D' was bound to happen and clearly it is doing well. Unfortunately this just tells Canon they don't need to come up with real technology, just new marketing.

Did I wind up enough people with that? See it's too easy, that's the real problem. People have this inability to ignore stuff written about their stuff on the internet.

But I'm guilty too. For instance the only reason I got a 5DIII is because it's the only Canon camera that doesn't get a bad rap - even the 1Dx is large and expensive and some people say bad things about it. If I cry while on the computer the tears get into my keyboard and I have to get my laptop serviced. Cheaper to by a 5DIII. The 7D is a better camera and I'd like to use it but I can't take people complaining about the noise and lack of AF points, it just hurts too bad.....

OK, enough sarcasm for one night, I think I got it out of my system, carry on....

I quite enjoyed reading this. Can we make all debate threads like this from now on?

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 15, 2014 13:15 |  #40

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #16760626 (external link)
I quite enjoyed reading this. Can we make all debate threads like this from now on?

Sure, just as long as you're willing to admit that a Ford is better than a Chevy.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 15, 2014 13:30 |  #41

20droger wrote in post #16760645 (external link)
Sure, just as long as you're willing to admit that a Ford is better than a Chevy.

Sure. I will agree that a worthless piece of junk does trump a bit of useless trash.

I enjoy reading debates that include actual useful information, experience, and logic.

Is a 70D better than a 7D? Sure, in many ways it is. However the 7D is still going to trump the 70D if your shooting style makes strong use of the 7D's speed and buffer size, which the 70D will fall short on. But the 7D is still a compromise over a 1D body for those of us having to be far more careful with our budgets.

I'm strongly considering picking up a 70D as a second body, and possibly even another 7D for my shooting. The two 7D bodies would be used together for indoor sports photography and prime lenses, while the 70D would see use in the video role and possibly post-game portraits. But that still leaves me debating on the point of a full frame camera. The different cameras are suitable for different roles.

(I still think the T3 was a rather poor choice in a camera that made too many compromises for its price.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

rgregoryb
261 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 15, 2014 15:34 |  #42

as an anonymous philosopher once said we suffer from "ever not quite" We always seek the ultimate without considering anything else below that as a satisfactory solution. I could have purchased a 5dII (no III at the time) but the 7d met my needs just fine.

Leica D-LUX 4

ejenner
Goldmember
3,835 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 15, 2014 15:44 |  #43

Luckless wrote in post #16760662 (external link)
I enjoy reading debates that include actual useful information, experience, and logic.

(I still think the T3 was a rather poor choice in a camera that made too many compromises for its price.)

I agree and actually I think most threads are pretty informative. The thing is almost everything is a compromise. But it's also good that when a 'dud' comes out people can get info and opinions before buying.

I don't know about the 7D vs 70D thing but I'm sure most people buying can make up their own minds based on needs. Usually when there is a fierce 'discussion' it is because the cameras or lenses are both good, so then it comes down to details anyway.

I'd feel worse it there were perpetually just bad information/advice given out, which honestly I don't think there is. I don't think this forum encourages lots of people to go out and make bad buying decisions, which would annoy me more than discussions that might get a little lively from time to time.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
3,835 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 15, 2014 21:05 as a reply to  @ ejenner's post |  #44

So having said all that I'm just reading a thread where someone seems like they are about to cry because someone else swapped out a 6D for a 5DIII insinuating that the 6D AF wasn't good enough.

Oh the horror! Everyone with 6D's you must rise up against the insanity. Somebody will be telling me they prefer a 1DX over a 5DIII.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 16, 2014 01:34 |  #45

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #16757789 (external link)
Anyone else tired of the constant 7D vs. 70D debate? Now lately there have also been a lot of 6D vs. 7D debates. Is it just me or are 70D and 6D owners very defensive about their cameras? (7D owners too, but I haven't seen it to the same extent.)

We're all here for the same thing, to get better at photography and share our images of that process. All three are wonderful cameras, so instead of sparking debate get out and take some pictures, no matter what tool you're using.

If you want to know "which one is better" go to your local shop and have a go at each one, for only you can decide which is better for your own needs. *Rant over*

Hell, man...I'm still using a 40D. I actually could stand to do an upgrade, but it's not as if anyone has ever looked at one of my images and been like, "man, your camera must be crap."

So, yeah...it's really about the images. You're getting the images that you want, or you aren't. And I'm sure that many people are getting excellent results with both the 7D and 70D. So that kind of tech snobbery seems to me to be a lot like the Canon vs Nikon debate. Who cares? They're both great, so just pick the one that's best for you and then start focusing on the images.

Having said that, I understand the whole gear envy/ gear snobbery thing. It's grown adults talking about toys. It's the adult version of how little kids argue about which is the best Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. Yeah, that's gonna happen, because on some level new gear is sort of like indulging in toys. I find it best not to dwell on that too much, because it's often just a side distraction. They still make good images, it's just that they argue about their cameras in their spare time. That's not entirely unlike a college professor taking a break from his work to play Doom. Yeah, the debate is kind of silly, but who says that it's wrong to get a little bit silly sometimes? Personally, I usually just ignore such arguments. If people want to argue about that stuff, I don't feel right telling them that they shouldn't. I just decide whether or not I want to get involved.

sponsored links

5,877 views & 6 likes for this thread
Can't we all just get along?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.