Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Mar 2014 (Sunday) 06:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24mm over 35mm for general purpose?

draculr
133 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 16, 2014 06:24 |  #1

I currently use a 35/85 combo for wedding and portrait photography. What I'm finding however is more and more the 85mm is becoming the lens that will get 50-60% of my shots on the day over the 35mm. Why? Because it just makes it easy to get photographs that are special.

I'm also finding that sometimes I need wider (group shots, shots of the venue etc.) but rarely - if ever - do I long for something to fill the 35-85mm gap.

So it has me thinking, would it work if I just completely replaced my 35 with a 24LII? I'm set to get the 135L next for more telephoto shots, but I'd rather stick with three lenses. I want to avoid having to use 24,35,85,135. If the 24 can completely replace my 35 it would be a 24,85,135 combo.

Anyone had much experience using 24 and 35mm lenses?

*Note: not much interested in the 24-70ii. It just doesn't gel with my style.

Photography by Peter Georges (external link) - Sydney Wedding and Portrait Photography

sponsored links
InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 16, 2014 08:30 |  #2

I have a 24L II and love it, but at times it can be too wide for an environmental portrait.
Though you can easily crop the extra in post processing.
I chose my current trinity setup to cover 99.9% of my shooting and it does so very well.
I have wide 24mm, standard 50mm and long 100mm covered.
I considered the 35 / 85 combo but I get a lot more use from my 100L for portraiture / macro work, than I would an 85L
In what way is your 35L lacking? Need wider for indoor portraits / groups?
If you seek to get a 24L II, and sell your 35L I would consider getting a 40mm stm as a 'standard' backup.
There is a large gap for standard photos between 24mm and 85mm.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

*Knowledge*
980 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 16, 2014 11:42 |  #3

I for one sold my 35L just to get the 24LII. The wider perspective was so versatile and unique for close ups I had to get it.
No regrets whatsoever, it's 24 on my FF body and close to a 35 on my crop body.

I'm Preston & I pretend to know what I'm doing but I really just wing it.
Gear List

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 16, 2014 14:31 |  #4

Distortion is too much at 24mm. It's a nice lens but you'll soon find out that it can be annoying as a general purpose lens.

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 16, 2014 19:05 |  #5

I love it as general purpose.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

roman.a
31 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 18, 2014 16:59 |  #6

I wish Canon made a good fast 28mm. I emailed them to see if they will be replacing the 28 f1.8 any time soon and they said they don't have it in their plans. Such a shame because 28 is perfect for events, where 24 seems too wide for me.

kevinstinks
241 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 18, 2014 17:36 |  #7

The 24L is fantastic. I think everyone should own one. The perspective it gives is so unique. If I couldn't only own one lens, this would be the one.

5DIII, 24L f/1.4 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 

mgk2
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 18, 2014 17:38 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

kevinstinks wrote in post #16768471 (external link)
The 24L is fantastic. I think everyone should own one. The perspective it gives is so unique. If I couldn't only own one lens, this would be the one.

I disagree....

24mm does give you that unique, distorted look, but the title says general purpose, and 24mm isn't general if you know what I mean...

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Mar 18, 2014 17:45 |  #9

24 is just too distorted. It's worth having and using, but it's not a general purpose. For me, it's in the same group as 16mm fisheye.

At 35 things look natural.
At 28 things look wide, but still natural. That's what I'd go for for a general purpose.

At 24 the perspective distortion is just too much.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

kevinstinks
241 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 18, 2014 18:39 |  #10

Distortion is fixed with the click of a button in Lightroom. Whether or not a lens has distribution also has no bearing on whether it fits someone's needs of "general purpose." That would be like saying I can't ise my 85L as a general purpose lens cause it's auto focus is slow. But hey, this thread is about opinions, right? :) What works for me might not work for others.

5DIII, 24L f/1.4 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Mar 18, 2014 20:30 |  #11

kevinstinks wrote in post #16768641 (external link)
Distortion is fixed with the click of a button in Lightroom. Whether or not a lens has distribution also has no bearing on whether it fits someone's needs of "general purpose." That would be like saying I can't ise my 85L as a general purpose lens cause it's auto focus is slow. But hey, this thread is about opinions, right? :) What works for me might not work for others.

I'm not talking about barrel distortion. I'm talking about perspective distortion when using 24mm and being close to the subject.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

ForTheNguyen
24 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 19, 2014 05:03 |  #12

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16768895 (external link)
I'm not talking about barrel distortion. I'm talking about perspective distortion when using 24mm and being close to the subject.

Proportions are also weird if you use it to shoot portraits.

I love using my 24L. I got it a few weeks ago and have taken it off of my camera twice. There's a sweet distance if you can find it where you can get where the subject isn't too distorted and the background blur is amazing.

I use the nifty fifty for my standard shots.

Hope I helped a bit!

Canon 6D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 17-40 f/4L
My Flickr (external link) | My Facebook (external link) | Feel free to add me on Facebook and leave C&C on my Flickr! I'll make sure to do the same :cool:

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 19, 2014 05:29 |  #13

I have both the 24 and 35, and they're pretty much permanently in my day bag. Two quite different optics, each with its strengths and short-comings. I use the 35 as a GP walk-about; it's reasonable at portrait, reasonable for city landscapes and great for street photography. In essence, a competent all-rounder.

The 24 is preferred for open landscape, tight indoors, context photography, but pretty limited for portrait. For that reason, it is sometimes supplanted by my 17-40.

But both have their appeal on a daily basis. The subject determines the lens choice.

~ Wallace
Gear List

draculr
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 19, 2014 07:46 |  #14

It's a tough one. I think down the line I'll end up having to get both... perhaps the 24mm 2.8 IS will suffice for wide landscape style shots.

Photography by Peter Georges (external link) - Sydney Wedding and Portrait Photography

Adharr
324 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 19, 2014 16:43 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

kevinstinks wrote in post #16768641 (external link)

I think he's talking about how things get stretched out along the edges of the frame, not pincushion or barrel effects that make the sides look like they're bubbling out.

My Homepage (external link)

sponsored links

6,743 views & 0 likes for this thread
24mm over 35mm for general purpose?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.