Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 13 Mar 2014 (Thursday) 01:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Calumet Photo Bankruptcy

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,128 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 16, 2014 18:51 as a reply to  @ post 16763241 |  #46

Honestly dont know how anyone can compete with B&H or Adorama. Both are excellent. They have set the bar very high and deserve everything coming their way. I dont buy from anyone else anymore.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,268 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 16, 2014 21:01 |  #47

MDJAK wrote in post #16763241 (external link)
I agree with you to an extent. I live in NY and regularly go to BH and sometimes Adorama. I do a lot of business with Allens Camera in PA. Love them. Excellent service. But, and there's a big but. Mom and pop stores not only don't have nearly the inventory as BH, etc, but they don't carry even one-tenth of the brands. I recently wanted the Camranger. I emailed Allen's first. They don't carry it. On the other hand, they got me a Big Stopper months before Adorama did. Same with the new profoto gear. Allen's had it while it was back ordered at the other biggies.

I really like to stop in at B&H some day. I have never been to NY but hope to get there.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 17, 2014 07:46 |  #48

digital paradise wrote in post #16763656 (external link)
I really like to stop in at B&H some day. I have never been to NY but hope to get there.

Let me know when you do. You can treat me to lunch in exchange for a tour of the store ;-)a

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 17, 2014 09:00 |  #49

B&H is like a camera mecca. It's interesting that they've built such a brand for themselves that some of us would consider their physical store a NY attraction.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,268 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 17, 2014 09:27 |  #50

MDJAK wrote in post #16764275 (external link)
Let me know when you do. You can treat me to lunch in exchange for a tour of the store ;-)a

Sounds good. Would you have a beer as well?

Image Editing OK

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,485 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 17, 2014 09:43 |  #51

jetcode wrote in post #16762886 (external link)
One thing Calumet did that I will never forget. In the late 90's I purchased a used Zone VI 5x7 enlarger. I was having troubles getting it set up. Calumet S.F. had their in-house expert drive over 1.5 hours to my house with spare parts and help me set it up. That level of service is extraordinary and rare in this day and age. Calumet had a nice healthy life. The big brick stores cost a fortune to run and the competition is fierce. Price wise Calumet could not compete and it may have led to their demise.

Joe like I said earlier they were really successful when they catered to pros and had less of a showroom and a huge stock. If I blew out say a strobe on a big shoot on Monday AM I would call on Monday afternoon and they would have it out for me and ready for pick up on Tuesday AM before my next shoot.

The Calumet that existed for the last few years was I would call and they would say it wasn't in stock and they had to order it so I would call B&H and t would be there in a couple days. Next day if I paid for it. Not sticking to what they did well and trying to compete in an arena they couldn't compete in is what killed them. Being run by execs that had a track record (ritz) for not making good decisions.

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 17, 2014 12:37 |  #52

BufordFZ1 wrote in post #16755406 (external link)
I hate to see any "independent" camera store owner go out of business. While the mail order businesses often times are able to sell items for less (no sales tax) the offset in being able to talk to a knowledgeable sales person far outweighs the savings.

Living in the south we had Wolf Camera, who was later bought by Ritz...No comparison.

Looks like the mail order retailers are starting to win the battle.

"Starting to..."???

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 17, 2014 12:40 |  #53

umphotography wrote in post #16763362 (external link)
Honestly dont know how anyone can compete with B&H or Adorama. Both are excellent. They have set the bar very high and deserve everything coming their way. I dont buy from anyone else anymore.

I do. I have a Hunt's reasonably local to me, and pretty much always start there. It costs a little more with the sales tax, but the base price usually matches B&H and Adorama, and I like to support a local vendor when they have what I need. And if I need something badly, I can get it the same day...

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 17, 2014 20:22 |  #54

digital paradise wrote in post #16764476 (external link)
Sounds good. Would you have a beer as well?

Haven't had a drink or a joint in 18 years, but I'd be glad to buy you one.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,268 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 17, 2014 22:02 |  #55

MDJAK wrote in post #16766054 (external link)
Haven't had a drink or a joint in 18 years, but I'd be glad to buy you one.

I'll have to remember that.

Image Editing OK

Nick5
Goldmember
3,137 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 18, 2014 00:40 |  #56

MDJAK wrote in post #16763241 (external link)
I agree with you to an extent. I live in NY and regularly go to BH and sometimes Adorama. I do a lot of business with Allens Camera in PA. Love them. Excellent service. But, and there's a big but. Mom and pop stores not only don't have nearly the inventory as BH, etc, but they don't carry even one-tenth of the brands. I recently wanted the Camranger. I emailed Allen's first. They don't carry it. On the other hand, they got me a Big Stopper months before Adorama did. Same with the new profoto gear. Allen's had it while it was back ordered at the other biggies.

MD. Allen's is a great store as you know. I head there at least once a month. Regarding B&H, I actually buy more from them when I am in New York than I do on-line. When we would visit our oldest son was at NYU for Grad School, I would always head over to 34th & 9th and grab a goodie or two.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,678 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 18, 2014 00:45 |  #57

Nathan wrote in post #16764412 (external link)
B&H is like a camera mecca. It's interesting that they've built such a brand for themselves that some of us would consider their physical store a NY attraction.

It's pretty incredible. I've been going to B&H since 2000. Not very frequently, I probably haven't been in 3-4 years, but every time I go it's impressive how it grows and changes.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 18, 2014 02:23 |  #58

I hate to see any "independent" camera store owner go out of business. While the mail order businesses often times are able to sell items for less (no sales tax) the offset in being able to talk to a knowledgeable sales person far outweighs the savings.

I have to agree, despite now shopping almost exclusively mail-order. We used to have a fantastic camera store in Dearborn called Adray, where I purchased my first DSLR as a teenager. The service was excellent, the prices were a bit high but not prohibitive. They closed down 5 years ago and now it's pretty much just Best Buy, Ritz, and Woodward Camera. The former two have obvious shortcomings, and Woodward has some of the rudest salespeople I've ever encountered. Always sad to see the "good guys" go. I have had great service with B&H, rarely use Adorama because I find their site much more difficult to navigate.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 18, 2014 06:57 |  #59

Living in the south we had Wolf Camera, who was later bought by Ritz...No comparison.

Looks like the mail order retailers are starting to win the battle.

That price advantage due to sales tax isn't likely to last a whole lot longer. Many states are looking at requiring online retailers to collect and remit sales taxes for anything that is delivered to their state, and a few have already done so. The internet retailers are fighting it, but they don't vote in the states doing this, and the local brick and mortars do...

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 18, 2014 08:59 |  #60

MsKutispwet wrote in post #16762864 (external link)
it's a sad day for online shopping -

Most of the sales of serious gear like big white lenses, cinema gear, etc won't even happen in places like Calumet any more; stuff you see there is generally for display as being the top tier of Canon's or Nikon's range, and I very much doubt they've moved much medium format to justify even displaying the stuff commercially in years, and yet they pointlessly did (in Euston at least).

We use Production Gear in Elstree, which is basically a low key showroom in an industrial complex, because the prices will always kill a retail store's like Calumet, and also because of the relationship you can build up with the staff, our man is Simon, who was going to lend us a Gyrocopter at one stage. I should imagine that's across the board with the industry as well so these days what are the point of shops like Calumet any more quite frankly? A studio in Soho in need of anything will just pick up the phone and send a bike to somewhere where they have a similar relationship. Which basically leaves the consumer and their EF or DX lenses, or consumer camera purchaces. Online or more expensive at Calumet?

Also, my colleague filmed tarsiers in Sumatra for eight months and they had some weird arrangement with Calumet where they took Calumet branded compact flash cards along with Sandisks. Bar none, all of the Calumet cards packed up and died, and he's still using the Sandisks. He reminded me of that only yesterday.

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

sponsored links

20,056 views & 0 likes for this thread
Calumet Photo Bankruptcy
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.