Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Jan 2014 (Friday) 23:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My thoughts on my new Tamron 150-600mm

Gruditch
21 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 18, 2014 15:19 |  #16

Just got one of these for my wife, very impressed, and yes it is as sharp as a 100-400.:shock:

Grudith http://www.flickr.com/​photos/gruditch/ (external link)
Canon 7D,Canon 50D,Canon 5DII,Canon 10D
Canon EF 17-40mm,Canon EF 24-105mm IS
Tamron SP AF 180 Macro,Canon EF 70-200 f4 IS
Canon EF 100-400,Sigma AF 300-800

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 19, 2014 05:12 |  #17

jus.t preordered mine from B&H. Interesting to see how it will do on the 1DX

My FLickrPage (external link)

fogboundturtle
735 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 19, 2014 09:45 |  #18

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16766408 (external link)
Softness was an issue, but not a deal-breaker. AF was a bit slower than the 100-400, but not a deal-breaker. Color cast was poor, compared to the Canon L glass I am used to using. That wasn't really a deal-breaker either, though.

So, what was the deal-breaker? All three of these things combined. I could have lived with any one of these minor shortcomings, but all three together just had too much of a negative effect on the final images.

I wonder if it will be the same with this new Tamron - too many minor shortcomings all added up together, resulting in not-quite-as-good images. But I hope that is not the case, and that this new lens is a real top-notch performer. It'd be great to get stellar image quality in every area, for just a thousand bucks. We'll just have to wait and see, as more and more reviews from experienced photographers come in.

There is quite a few samples out there. Unfortunately, We have been hit with bad weather this spring and I haven't got a chance to try my Tamron in any good light. I can tell you there is noticeable CA at any focal length. It is very well corrected and that is a big plus. This lens performs as well or better than the 100-400L but has 200mm more reach. That's coming from an 100-400L owner. I had serious reservation about the Bigmas because even though they advertise for full frame compatibility, the IQ was really degrading on a full frame body. The vignetting on the Tamron was not noticeable. I shot F6.3 all the way to F13. The sharpess and contrast was good all the way through.

Lets talk about AI Servo. I know some 7D owner have been vocal about the AF performance. I do not own an 7D. The comments that I heard is that you need to release the half-press shutter and press it again to start hunting again when you go from far to close target. Not a deal breaker to me. On my 5D3, the AF is working as expected. I took a lot of photos on AI servo and I was very happy with the performance. Its not the speed of an 400m F5.6 but its more than acceptable. I will put the lens through my 70D this weekend and give you some impression.

I love that the lens is black. it less apparent for the wildlife and the tourist.

On the cons side, its quite heavy. I was so happy I got a cotton carrier vest with me when I took it out. I was able to handhold at 1/250 but it was tough. Its a good workout for the forearm after 20sec or so. Get a monopod or a tripod and this lens is a killer. The zoom ring is moving in the opposite direction than Canon lens to zoom in. and the focus ring is very small. I think most Tamron are like that. You do have to get used to it.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Tamron 70-200 F2.8 DI VC USD, Sony A7r, Sony FE 55mm F1.8

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

9,073 views & 0 likes for this thread
My thoughts on my new Tamron 150-600mm
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.