Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Mar 2014 (Saturday) 09:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Well crap I did it.... bye bye 6D... hello 5D3!

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 19, 2014 19:29 |  #271
bannedPermanent ban

mgk2 wrote in post #16771349 (external link)
Are you acknowledging that the outer points on 6D are unreliable for moving subjects and therefore shouldn't be used at all?

And if you really think ai servo automatic is more accurate/precise/easie​r then you can't be anymore wrong I'm afraid.....

On 6D you really only have one option - single center point for moving subjects.

Maybe re-read this thread you participated in...

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1366521

Post 49 in particular may be helpful...

Dave

sponsored links
Copper ­ NYC
385 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 19, 2014 19:50 |  #272

Nick_Reading.UK wrote in post #16771042 (external link)
I have this question for 6d owners.. If money wasn't an issue or they were both the same price which one would you choose??

I asked the same question last year got a big response of one.

40D Gripped, 50D, T2I Gripped, 5D Mark III Gripped, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS
EF 28 f/2.8 IS, EF 40 2.8 STM, EF 50 f/1.4 USM,
EF 85 f/1.8 USM, EF 100 f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 24-105L f/4.0
EF 28-80 USM, the good one with metal mount and ring USM.
EF 28-80 USM V, EF 28-135 USM IS, EF 100-300 USM, EF 100-400L USM IS.
Rokinon 14 f/2.8

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,752 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 19, 2014 19:53 |  #273

Bakewell wrote in post #16771312 (external link)
Why would I post pics using the outer points? I would never attempt that, and neither should anyone else. IMO, use AI Servo Automatic only on the 6D for moving subjects...

Ok then, lets see some action shots of yours using your suggestion above. You do have some don't you?

Or are you going to state the same old arguement that you don't need or have to again? I just would like to see you offer some real evidence provided by you on how well it works. The overall consenses by the community as well as many pros such as Rick Sammon is it doesn't work well on many bodies including the 6d so it something he doesn't recommend when shooting moving subjects.

I respect you wanting to defend the camera body you use but think you fail to realize its shortcomings when compared to bodies designed for action type photography.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

DwainRowe
783 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 19, 2014 19:55 |  #274

Talley wrote in post #16771220 (external link)
Well the only solution is to keep the 6D, add the 5D3 and also add the 70D and most possibly include the 1Dx also.

This will shut all you up.

I doubt that very seriously. :(

6D | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-200 f/4 L IS | EF 50mm f1.4 USM -|- Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | Σ 10-20 f3.5 EX DC | Σ 70-300 4-5.6 DG Macro (Yes, I am cheap) | Speedlite 580EXII | YN622c
EOS M | EFM 22 f/2

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,629 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 19, 2014 20:02 |  #275

Thorrulz wrote in post #16771291 (external link)
Did you ever get around to taking and posting some photos with the outer focusing points of the 6d set to ai servo? I could have sworn I saw you at last night's hockey game taking pics with all the other sports photogs.

You definitely stood out among all the other shooters that had either the 1d or d3 bodies. Of course I think you like to stand out, don't you?;)

Not to get into the middle of this, but I did post a bunch of those back a few months ago, using my Sigma 120-300 2.8 at 300mm f/2.8 in another thread, I don;t remember which one. Cars and runners in the park, not heavy action though... It was only a test for POTN :)

I also used my 6D for BIF a few times in a pinch when, for various reasons, I was not using my 7D or 70D at the moment. But for birds I either use the center point or all 11 points auto AI Servo. Using one off center point for my BIF shooting would be impractical and pointless, even if that off-center point was a cross type one. For birds I need room for the wings in the frame, which are obviously flapping all over the place, I don't want to cut them off, plus many birds are unpredictable, and move around in the frame, as well as my tele lens is moving too. So I must keep the bird as much in the center as possible that's why shooting with one isolated off center point with the 6D would be impractical, whether it's awesome or not.
But again, I use my other cameras for that for fps, reach, etc.

What Bakewell is saying that he never uses one outer point alone for tracking; he uses the all-11 point automatic AI Servo, which he has discussed before. So that's why the question didn't make much sense to him so to speak.
But please don't shoot the messenger :)

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,469 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 19, 2014 20:15 |  #276

DwainRowe wrote in post #16771420 (external link)
I doubt that very seriously. :(

lol, true

anyways, you can track fine with the 6D. Sequence with 50mm F1.2 @ 1.2.

crazy thing is that I have photos of tracking with a 5D2, which is even more impossible ;)

the 6D tracks fine, the 5D3 is dead simple no nonsense tracking, that's the main difference.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 19, 2014 20:28 |  #277
bannedPermanent ban

Thorrulz wrote in post #16771418 (external link)
Ok then, lets see some action shots of yours using your suggestion above. You do have some don't you?

Or are you going to state the same old arguement that you don't need or have to again? I just would like to see you offer some real evidence provided by you on how well it works. The overall consenses by the community as well as many pros such as Rick Sammon is it doesn't work well on many bodies including the 6d so it something he doesn't recommend when shooting moving subjects.

I respect you wanting to defend the camera body you use but think you fail to realize its shortcomings when compared to bodies designed for action type photography.

Maybe this thread would be of benefit to you also...

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1366521

again post 49...BTW there's very good example pics for you to see. If you haven't seen any examples it can be only because you're not looking. Any questions please ask...

Dave

mgk2
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 19, 2014 20:36 |  #278
bannedPermanent ban

Charlie wrote in post #16771454 (external link)
lol, true

anyways, you can track fine with the 6D. Sequence with 50mm F1.2 @ 1.2.

That's all with single center point weren't they?

After re-reading Bakewell's posts, I think he believes using single point (whether center or outer) is the wrong way of doing tracking.

It seems that he's all for ai servo automatic for moving subjects.

It might work for Gabe as he's shooting birds with uncluttered background, but for other moving subjects the camera can often 'fooled' or guess wrong.

The gap between the points can also cause issue if your desired 'point of focus' falls within it.

Therefore the main issue seems to be the fact that Bakewell has difficulties acknowledging that higher end models have other AF tracking modes, in which they offer easier way to track than single point (expansion for example) yet still offers precise enough result that is crucial for photographers that shoots moving subject all the time.

Using 'Ai servo automatic' for tracking moving subjects is similar to using greenbox mode to capture a scene - the camera *intelligently* decides for you what kind of scene you are trying to capture, then assigning what *it thinks* is the appropriate setting.

Does it work sometimes? Sure. Is there better alternative for the same job? Most definitely.

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 19, 2014 20:56 |  #279
bannedPermanent ban

mgk2 wrote in post #16771497 (external link)

After re-reading Bakewell's posts, I think he believes using single point (whether center or outer) is the wrong way of doing tracking.

It might work for Gabe as he's shooting birds with uncluttered background, but for other moving subjects the camera can often 'fooled' or guess wrong.

The gap between the points can also cause issue if that's your desired 'point of focus'.

It seems that Bakewell can't acknowledge that higher end models have other models which offer easier way to track than single point (expansion for example) yet still offers precise enough result that is crucial for photographers that shoots moving subject all the time.

Yes, single point tracking will totally mess you up when using AI Servo on the 6D. I never said anything negative regarding other camera AF systems. I said that people are trashing the 6D AF system without bothering to learn or understand it. I'm trying to inform people as to how the 6D can do action shots. If people choose not to learn...so be it. Some people continue to espouse the same incorrect "facts" over and over again.

Dave

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
11,061 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 19, 2014 21:09 |  #280

Bakewell wrote in post #16771536 (external link)
Yes, single point tracking will totally mess you up when using AI Servo on the 6D. I never said anything negative regarding other camera AF systems. I said that people are trashing the 6D AF system without bothering to learn or understand it. I'm trying to inform people as to how the 6D can do action shots. If people choose not to learn...so be it. Some people continue to espouse the same incorrect "facts" over and over again.

Ya I get it now. I didn't realize the 11 point automatic servo concentrated on the center and only used the outer points as a "Help" similar to the zone/expansion on the 7D except the 6D uses the center only then all surrounding are assist.

Is this right?... If so it makes sense and I have never tried to do it this way. Only single point servo.

I would suspect the priority options for servo in the custom function would work on the 11 point servo automatic so you can tell it to stay locked on longer then jumping around.

I'm gonna have to try that out.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 19, 2014 21:14 |  #281

form wrote in post #16760366 (external link)
There's marketing for you.

5d3 is only better because it's not truncated in the things relevant to more professional photographers, like CF card slots, 1/8000 ss, 1/200+ flash sync, pc sync port...and the more AF points (which really isn't that great for tracking since they can't track color like the 1dx/Nikon cameras).

Isn't really that great for tracking? Interesting...

http://www.racemsm.com​/?p=3770 (external link)

AI Servo. Night time. Car going 100+ MPH... sharp photos all night long.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7125/13245981604_00d8994beb_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/dinanm3atl/13​245981604/  (external link)
MotorSportMedia Sebring 12 Hour Saturday 495 (external link) by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia (external link), on Flickr

Or maybe some in the daylight?

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3755/13232593733_7190e15931_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/dinanm3atl/13​232593733/  (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII Camera Battle MotorSportMedia Sebring 616 (external link) by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia (external link), on Flickr

Shooting directly into the sun... tracking car.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7412/13232782564_f32acda89d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/dinanm3atl/13​232782564/  (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII Camera Battle MotorSportMedia Sebring 618 (external link) by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia (external link), on Flickr

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,629 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 19, 2014 21:15 |  #282

mgk2 wrote in post #16771497 (external link)

The gap between the points can also cause issue if your desired 'point of focus' falls within it.

Therefore the main issue seems to be the fact that Bakewell has difficulties acknowledging that higher end models have other AF tracking modes, in which they offer easier way to track than single point (expansion for example) yet still offers precise enough result that is crucial for photographers that shoots moving subject all the time.

Using 'Ai servo automatic' for tracking moving subjects is similar to using greenbox mode to capture a scene - the camera *intelligently* decides for you what kind of scene you are trying to capture, then assigning what *it thinks* is the appropriate setting.

Does it work sometimes? Sure. Is there better alternative for the same job? Most definitely.

I don't think that's quite true.

My 6D and 70D (just tested them this afternoon), as well as a bunch of other Canon bodies as mentioned before, behave the same way in AI automatic Servo, namely in "all AF points" auto mode you place the starting AF point (center on the 6D, any one point you select on the 70D) over your subject that you want to track. Then start shooting/tracking. The cameras will track the subject and if the subject leaves the starting AF point, other AF points will take over and track that same subject. So ideally, technically, on-paper etc. the our desired subject is what the camera will track and not a random subject or scene that the camera "intelligently" thinks it should focus on. This is actually clearly demonstrated in the B&H video series on the 7D AF system.
This is very easily observable in the 7D or 70D, since the active AF points are displayed in the viewfinder and actually follow the desired subject.
In the 6D they are not illuminated, but after shooting some test images, the desired subject is tracked, even when it leaves the center AF point.
But of course as mentioned, the 6D may have larger gaps between AF points and if the subject falls into these gaps (e.g. not large enough or not enough detail), then the camera gets confused and starts not so "intelligently" picking random stuff to focus on. It's not random, but it's certainly not our desired subject.

Not sure if that's what you were thinking of or not, but the fact is it's not exactly the same as the green box mode in One Shot AF mode.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
11,061 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 19, 2014 21:18 |  #283

Talley wrote in post #16771565 (external link)
Ya I get it now. I didn't realize the 11 point automatic servo concentrated on the center and only used the outer points as a "Help" similar to the zone/expansion on the 7D except the 6D uses the center only then all surrounding are assist.

Is this right?... If so it makes sense and I have never tried to do it this way. Only single point servo.

I would suspect the priority options for servo in the custom function would work on the 11 point servo automatic so you can tell it to stay locked on longer then jumping around.

I'm gonna have to try that out.

2. AI Servo Automatic - The center point only is used to acquire focus on the desired subject. If the moving subject veres off of the center point then the focus function is handed off to other points as necessary. Very similar to "zone" or "expansion" on other cameras just with a different number of points (11 vs. 4/8). This works only with the center point on the 6D. This is different and often confused due to similar names with Single Shot Automatic (generally not desirable) which tends to acquire focus on the closest subject in the frame. These two systems behave totally different.

You are wrong on your assumption about this "uses center point to choose desired subject then uses outer points to stay on track" type scenario. I tried it and if you have something closer in the frame then the center it goes to that instead of the center. It picks the closest object out there.

Now on the 7D/1D/5D3 the automatic option in servo does indeed DO just that. You can acutally move a single AF point around and it will focus on that then try to track with ALL points to that target.

Enough of this silly stuff. the 6D AF is crippled and yes will work just fine is not meeting my needs. The minute something doesn't work as intended then I get what I need. Hence all the damn glass I've bought the past few months.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

speedync
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011

Mar 19, 2014 21:20 |  #284

What I've noticed, and also tested, is that the outer points on the 6D seem to be more sensitive and accurate in low light, when using one shot AF mode. As opposed to servo. I have yet to test to see if there is any difference on moving subjects in good light. It seems to hunt a little in servo, but lock straight on in one shot when the light level drops. Definitely not unusable though.

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,629 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 19, 2014 21:24 |  #285

dinanm3atl wrote in post #16771577 (external link)
Isn't really that great for tracking? Interesting...

http://www.racemsm.com​/?p=3770 (external link)

AI Servo. Night time. Car going 100+ MPH... sharp photos all night long.

These are awesome shots. I love motorsports photos, but never tried shooting them (never go to any race).

But this reminds me, in other threads, I've seen similar, quite impressive photos from 6D users, who, similarly to you, were sharing their 6D racecar shots to prove what the 6D is capable of at race tracks.
I don't doubt that the 5DIII is better at it, but like I said I've seen similar from 6D.
I hope my post won't be interpreted offensive, that wasn't my intention. But on these threads I never know, I always feel like I'm walking on egg shells.

sponsored links

45,150 views & 0 likes for this thread
Well crap I did it.... bye bye 6D... hello 5D3!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.