Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 21:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Full Frame or not Full Frame

riverratmike
61 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 19, 2014 21:40 |  #1

Ok, I should know this but I don't. Going to be buying a new 11 - 16 F2.8 Tokina lens for my 60D soon. Is my 60D full frame or aps-c??? I also have a Canon T2i and don't know if it's aps-c or full frame. Anyone help me out here? Thanks.

sponsored links
trewyn15
722 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 19, 2014 21:41 |  #2

It's a crop sensor just like your T2i.

Mitch
Canon T3 - Canon 60D - Canon Rebel 2000
Canon EOS M - Canon PowerShot SD1100IS
Gear/Feedback

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 19, 2014 21:41 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Both are crop. 6D is full frame

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 19, 2014 21:45 |  #4

60D and T2i are both APS-C.
Canon's full frame cameras are: 1Dx, 5D (all marks), 6D, 1Ds (all marks).
The APS-H bodies are 1D (all versions, but not 1Dx).
Everything else is APS-C.

sega62
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 19, 2014 21:52 |  #5

riverratmike wrote in post #16771626 (external link)
Ok, I should know this but I don't. Going to be buying a new 11 - 16 F2.8 Tokina lens for my 60D soon. Is my 60D full frame or aps-c??? I also have a Canon T2i and don't know if it's aps-c or full frame. Anyone help me out here? Thanks.

Apsc both cameras, you will love the Tokina, it has great wide angle and its real sharp,you will love it

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,861 posts
Gallery: 2021 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 19, 2014 21:52 |  #6

riverratmike wrote in post #16771626 (external link)

APS-C. Both of them.

I suggest you stop and read manuals and familiarize yourself with your gear, before you start buying stuff.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

riverratmike
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 19, 2014 22:09 |  #7

thanks everyone I appreciate the feedback

shamlyn
93 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 19, 2014 22:56 as a reply to  @ riverratmike's post |  #8

Like yourself, I have pondered the Full Frame question. I highly agree with MalVeauX on familarizing yourself with your 60D before going full frame. It really depends on what you are planning on doing with Full Frame. Yes, the Full Frame is used by photographers for th full sized image, and also better noise quality than APS-C cameras, however you lose the 1.6 crop factor that APS-C cameras have. There may be other points I may be missing, but that's what I see. The image quality between APS-C cameras and full frame's are basically the same. If you really want a full frame camera, start building up your camera gear by getting EF lenses if you haven't started all ready. But for now, just stick with what you have. The 60D is a good camera and will work for your photography needs.

riverratmike
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 20, 2014 00:10 |  #9

Thanks, so anything Canon with EOS is a APS-C sensor? Also what is the EF all about with lenses?

jnicklin
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 20, 2014 00:46 |  #10

riverratmike wrote in post #16771853 (external link)
Thanks, so anything Canon with EOS is a APS-C sensor? Also what is the EF all about with lenses?

All of the Canon DSLR cameras are EOS including the full frame models. EF stands for Electronic Focus and refers to the mount, EF-S lenses are for the models with APS-c sensors, you can mount an EF on an APS-c model but you can't mount an EF-S on a full frame model.

Lloydd
379 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 20, 2014 01:16 |  #11

Full frame: 5D range, 6D, 1Ds range, 1Dx
APS-H: 1D range
APS-C: Everything else

EF lenses fit all of them.
EF-S lenses fit APS-C.

shamlyn
93 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 20, 2014 02:04 |  #12

Not all Canon EOS (Electro-Optical System) Cameras are APS-C format, some are full frame:

Canon Rebel Series - T1, T2, T3, T3i, T4i, T5i and T5 are APS-C Cameras

Canon Models: 40D, 50D, 60D, 70D, 7D are APS-C Cameras.

Full Frame Cameras: 5D, 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 6D, 1DX

Also, APS-C sensors have a crop factor of 1.6 including your 60D and T2i. Example, is an EF 24-105mm lens on a APS-C is actually 38-168mm lens. On a full frame, a 24-105 is a 24-105. The Full Frame doesnt have a crop factor.

Also, an EF-S lens say for example 18-55mm lens is a 18-55mm lens on a APS-C camera. The EF-S lens is made for APS-C camera's, but wont work on Full Frame camera.

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 20, 2014 02:45 |  #13

shamlyn wrote in post #16772011 (external link)
Not all Canon EOS (Electro-Optical System) Cameras are APS-C format, some are full frame:

Canon Rebel Series - T1, T2, T3, T3i, T4i, T5i and T5 are APS-C Cameras

Canon Models: 40D, 50D, 60D, 70D, 7D are APS-C Cameras.

Full Frame Cameras: 5D, 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 6D, 1DX

Also, APS-C sensors have a crop factor of 1.6 including your 60D and T2i. Example, is an EF 24-105mm lens on a APS-C is actually 38-168mm lens. On a full frame, a 24-105 is a 24-105. The Full Frame doesnt have a crop factor.

Also, an EF-S lens say for example 18-55mm lens is a 18-55mm lens on a APS-C camera. The EF-S lens is made for APS-C camera's, but wont work on Full Frame camera.

Good post, except for the part I put in bold. an EF 24-105 mm lens is 24-105 mm regardless of what body it is mounted on. Focal length is inherent in the lens and nothing about the body can change that. The difference between what happens when it is mounted on FF or APS-C (or APS-H for that matter) is that the crop sensors just record less of the image that the lens makes available, that is, they crop it, hence, crop factor.

shamlyn
93 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 20, 2014 02:54 |  #14

xarqi wrote in post #16772050 (external link)
Good post, except for the part I put in bold. an EF 24-105 mm lens is 24-105 mm regardless of what body it is mounted on. Focal length is inherent in the lens and nothing about the body can change that. The difference between what happens when it is mounted on FF or APS-C (or APS-H for that matter) is that the crop sensors just record less of the image that the lens makes available, that is, they crop it, hence, crop factor.

Good Point Xarqi, thanks for pointing that out.

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 20, 2014 02:57 |  #15

and the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 ?
is it for the crop or for both ? The crop and FF ?

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

sponsored links

7,490 views & 0 likes for this thread
Full Frame or not Full Frame
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.