Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 19 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 12:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

C&C please

raoaltaf
133 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 19, 2014 12:54 |  #1

Cropped from the right as there were alot of distractions. Please advise what else can make this picture works well. Easy on me:)as I am still learning and this is my first post in this section

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2486/13152410705_cbde399eaa_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …72175538@N08/13​152410705/  (external link)
ASH&SHR (external link) by raoaltaf (external link), on Flickr

Rao
5Diii | 135mm F2L | 85mm 1.2Lii
flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

sponsored links
Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 19, 2014 13:21 |  #2

Portrait photographers will comment on the lighting but the first thing I noticed is that the girl's eyes are closed. Some may like that but it doesn't appeal to me.

Regarding the composition, I'd radically crop the empty space on the left.

David

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,902 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 19, 2014 13:33 as a reply to  @ Woodworker's post |  #3

In the real world, light coming from underneath the subject's face is unnatural. For this reason it is also rarely used in portrait photography. Generally, a slight shadow under the nose is recommended.

The composition is so close to centered on the main subject, I might just go ahead and center it up.

That said, I'll assume these are your children, so if you like the shot go ahead and print it out and hang it on the wall!

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

raoaltaf
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 19, 2014 14:01 |  #4

Woodworker wrote in post #16770610 (external link)
Portrait photographers will comment on the lighting but the first thing I noticed is that the girl's eyes are closed. Some may like that but it doesn't appeal to me.

Thanks David. Appreciate your comments. I will crop on hte left to see how it looks

Rao
flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

raoaltaf
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 19, 2014 14:04 |  #5

hes gone wrote in post #16770651 (external link)
=he's gone;16770651]In the real world, light coming from underneath the subject's face is unnatural. For this reason it is also rarely used in portrait photography. Generally, a slight shadow under the nose is recommended.

The composition is so close to centered on the main subject, I might just go ahead and center it up.

That said, I'll assume these are your children, so if you like the shot go ahead and print it out and hang it on the wall!

Thanks for taking time and constructive comments.
Light was coming from the patio door on the right. Yes these are my kids and cannot control their expressions:)
It seems I am at a rock bottom and there are alot to learn from you guys

Rao
flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,902 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 19, 2014 16:34 |  #6

raoaltaf wrote in post #16770731 (external link)
Thanks for taking time and constructive comments.

you're welcome.

as far as the "rock bottom" comment, don't be so hard on yourself. What I was trying to say before is to remember that these kinds of images are much more important for the subject matter and memories than they will ever be for perfect composition and lighting. I have an image of my boys that I hope to get printed out tonight that would impress no one other than myself and immediate family. As a "photographer" I could pick out ten reasons not to print it, but as a dad I won't be able to stop thinking about it until I get it on paper and deliver it to my wife and their grandparents.

I did a crop to demonstrate what I see in the image. It is rotated so your daughter is more upright, if you're going to center it, it better be REALLY centered. I also cropped down on her forehead because odd intersections of objects in the photo or objects and the photo border tend to bug me.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 19, 2014 16:42 |  #7

raoaltaf wrote in post #16770731 (external link)
It seems I am at a rock bottom and there are alot to learn from you guys

You may have a lot to learn but we're all still learning and, please believe me, you're not at rock bottom. You're in process of becoming a good photographer.

David

lc130
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined May 2013

Mar 20, 2014 01:09 |  #8

raoaltaf wrote in post #16770545 (external link)
Cropped from the right as there were alot of distractions. Please advise what else can make this picture works well. Easy on me:)as I am still learning and this is my first post in this section

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …72175538@N08/13​152410705/  (external link)
ASH&SHR (external link) by raoaltaf (external link), on Flickr

I am a beginner, however I don't like how the light completely washes out half her face. Quick edit with my take

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/ivclVEn.jpg

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 20, 2014 02:40 |  #9

Woodworker wrote in post #16770610 (external link)

Why are closed eyes unappealing? SHOULD this image be appealing? What do opened eyes convey, vs what closed eyes convey?

And those aren't rhetorical questions, I really don't know.

All I'm saying is, one of the most interesting things I see in this image is the repetition, and how the two models are so similar and so different. There are two people, but one is male and one is female. They are both identifiable as people, but one is sharp and one is out of focus. One is in the front, on is in the back, one is more prominent one is less prominent. One has her eyes closed while the other has his eyes opened.

What does all that mean? I don't know. But there's a relationship betwen the two models, they each provide a reference point for the other within this image. So it sort of could be a significant point that the sharp girl in the foreground with her eyes closed is compared and contrasted with the blurry boy in the background with his eyes wide open. That looks like it's saying SOMETHING. So before reducing that element, I'm interested in finding out what was initially being said.

In any case, this doesn't look like a case of "it's just a minor mistake, so go ahead and fix it." I'm aware that eye contact and facial language is incredibly important, and therefore changing such things is often not just fixing a minor mistake but rather drastically changing what the image is actually about. The simple act of opening ones eyes can have a HUGE impact on what an image is saying. So before we go that route, I'm interested in hearing what this image says. After all, why make changes when you don't even know what you're changing?

ldt_81
156 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 20, 2014 03:01 |  #10

You are definitely not at rock bottom! Trust me! I like it actually! Seems like your little girl is happy and laughing, and that's what childhood is all about. One of my favorite pictures of my son is slightly OOF, I don't care, I printed it to 16x20 anyway and its hanging on my wall. If this is the type of image you like to capture, go for it! It made me smile! :)

I'm Lora :D Here's my: Website (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Camera + Lenses (external link)

raoaltaf
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 20, 2014 09:51 |  #11

hes gone wrote in post #16771048 (external link)
=he's gone;16771048]you're welcome.

as far as the "rock bottom" comment, don't be so hard on yourself. What I was trying to say before is to remember that these kinds of images are much more important for the subject matter and memories than they will ever be for perfect composition and lighting. I have an image of my boys that I hope to get printed out tonight that would impress no one other than myself and immediate family. As a "photographer" I could pick out ten reasons not to print it, but as a dad I won't be able to stop thinking about it until I get it on paper and deliver it to my wife and their grandparents.

I did a crop to demonstrate what I see in the image. It is rotated so your daughter is more upright, if you're going to center it, it better be REALLY centered. I also cropped down on her forehead because odd intersections of objects in the photo or objects and the photo border tend to bug me.

Wow this looks way way better than mine. I like it more now:)

Thanks again for encouraging comments and tips. Yes it was the right moment that I was trying to capture. They both were playing and she was counting with eyes closed:) Technically it may be miles away from perfect photo but it clearly portrays her personality and mood that i love it

here is the original one just exported from RAW

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3804/13288919643_2579c9b2a5_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …72175538@N08/13​288919643/  (external link)
lr-0622-3 (external link) by raoaltaf (external link), on Flickr

Rao
flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

raoaltaf
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 20, 2014 09:53 |  #12

Woodworker wrote in post #16771059 (external link)
You may have a lot to learn but we're all still learning and, please believe me, you're not at rock bottom. You're in process of becoming a good photographer.

Thanks David. This made my day

Rao
flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

raoaltaf
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 20, 2014 09:55 |  #13

ldt_81 wrote in post #16772070 (external link)
You are definitely not at rock bottom! Trust me! I like it actually! Seems like your little girl is happy and laughing, and that's what childhood is all about. One of my favorite pictures of my son is slightly OOF, I don't care, I printed it to 16x20 anyway and its hanging on my wall. If this is the type of image you like to capture, go for it! It made me smile! :)

Thanks Lora. Exactly that's we as parents look at things not as photographer sometimes:)

Rao
flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

raoaltaf
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 20, 2014 09:57 |  #14

lc130 wrote in post #16771950 (external link)
I am a beginner, however I don't like how the light completely washes out half her face. Quick edit with my take
QUOTED IMAGE

Thanks lc130. I got your point and will make it better now. I also posted the original one and there i guess highlights are ok. I went too harsh under PP

Rao
flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

ldt_81
156 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 20, 2014 10:49 |  #15

I think the raw version is perfect actually!

I'm Lora :D Here's my: Website (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Camera + Lenses (external link)

sponsored links

2,025 views & 0 likes for this thread
C&C please
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.