Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 15:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS Rebel T3i- won't focus and can't figure out why!

SWB1234
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 19, 2014 15:40 |  #1

New to the forums but excited to be a part of it.

First, I am very much a novice when it comes to this camera- so please bare with me.

I have a Canon EOS Rebel T3i. The lens is a Canon EFS 18-55mm I think a pretyt standard lens.

We've been having issues lately when we press the button halfway down to take a picture with the image not coming into focus and therefore not allowing the picture to be taken. For the life of me I can't figure out why. I'm sure it's a setting or adjustment that needs to be made but I'm not sure what that is.

it's happened while shooting both close up and items far. My wife made some adjustments where it doesn't seem to happen as much while shooting something in far but today I tried to take some close ups and it was never able to come into focus.

Any help on this topic would be VERY much appreciated!

Thank you!

sponsored links
khwaja
896 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 19, 2014 16:00 |  #2

Have you tried pressing BBF (*) button in case some one modified focusing button settings.

Canon 6D Mark 2, 50mm STM

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,264 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 19, 2014 16:37 |  #3

And what are you using to judge focus? Viewfinder? If so check diopter adjustment. Is this behavior only with one lens or cannyou test with somethingvelse? How is focus when transferred to a PC?

Can you upload a suspect image that we can see. Try to keep the EXIF information intact.

SqueekyBoy
186 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 19, 2014 16:48 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

If you bought it used, the most likely culprit is BBAF is enabled. Use the * button to focus and the shutter release to... DUH! release the shutter. Do not reset it to focus and trip the shutter with the same button. You'll eventually regret it.

lota420
44 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 19, 2014 18:23 |  #5

check the mf/af switch on the lens, you need to have it on AF for the lens to focus.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 19, 2014 19:58 |  #6

Check the AF/MF switch, if that is in AF, put the camera on the green box fully auto mode and try to take a shot using a well lit target with good contrast.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Mar 19, 2014 22:37 |  #7

SWB1234 wrote in post #16770949 (external link)
...so please bare with me.

Only if you go first.;):lol:

Yep, sounds like BBF is engaged. Try pressing the * button to focus or use Green Box(full-auto) mode to see if it will focus. If it does then you can change it back to shutter button focus if you wish.

Mark

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 20, 2014 05:05 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #8

It could also be "lens drive when AF is impossible" that's set to OFF. That custom function/setting is available on most EOS cameras. If that's the case, then the standard symptom is that focusing works sometimes, but not always.

If the camera is set not to focus with the trigger button, or if the AF/MF switch is set to MF, then it will never focus. Not when using the trigger button, that is.

Anders

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,264 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 20, 2014 06:16 |  #9

First, I am very much a novice when it comes to this camera.

Dig through the manual on how to reset the camera back to the factory settings and start from there.

rdwalton
153 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 20, 2014 08:32 |  #10

SWB1234 wrote in post #16770949 (external link)
New to the forums but excited to be a part of it.

First, I am very much a novice when it comes to this camera- so please bare with me.

I have a Canon EOS Rebel T3i. The lens is a Canon EFS 18-55mm I think a pretyt standard lens.

We've been having issues lately when we press the button halfway down to take a picture with the image not coming into focus and therefore not allowing the picture to be taken. For the life of me I can't figure out why. I'm sure it's a setting or adjustment that needs to be made but I'm not sure what that is.

it's happened while shooting both close up and items far. My wife made some adjustments where it doesn't seem to happen as much while shooting something in far but today I tried to take some close ups and it was never able to come into focus.

Any help on this topic would be VERY much appreciated!

Thank you!

I would check the obvious first and that is make sure the lens is on Auto Focus. I would then check to make sure it's not set to back button focus (actually, I prefer that method). But if it's set to back button focus, then it's not going to focus by pressing the shutter button half way.

Reginald D. Walton | GEAR | Smugmugexternal link

rrblint
22,242 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 20, 2014 10:03 |  #11

apersson850 wrote in post #16772169 (external link)
It could also be "lens drive when AF is impossible" that's set to OFF. That custom function/setting is available on most EOS cameras. If that's the case, then the standard symptom is that focusing works sometimes, but not always.

If the camera is set not to focus with the trigger button, or if the AF/MF switch is set to MF, then it will never focus. Not when using the trigger button, that is.

The Rebels(xxxD models) don't have a custom function for turning off Lens Drive when AF is impossible Anders.

Mark

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 20, 2014 15:21 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #12

Rats.

Anders

dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 20, 2014 15:51 |  #13

After checking all above I see you also say it wont focus when shooting close up , how close up are you trying if I remember correctly this lens has a MFD of around 10" meaning it wont focus on anything closer than 10" .

Just a shot in the dark .

David

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/ (external link)

SWB1234
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 20, 2014 20:31 |  #14

dpds68 wrote in post #16773418 (external link)
After checking all above I see you also say it wont focus when shooting close up , how close up are you trying if I remember correctly this lens has a MFD of around 10" meaning it wont focus on anything closer than 10" .

Just a shot in the dark .

David

I haven't researched the other options yet but the pics I was taking were closer than 10"- they were some close up photos for an item I was selling on EBay....maybe the issue?

rrblint
22,242 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 20, 2014 20:46 as a reply to  @ SWB1234's post |  #15

No, you definitely can't focus on anything closer than 9.6 inches from the camera's focal plane.

Mark

sponsored links

3,280 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS Rebel T3i- won't focus and can't figure out why!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.