Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Mar 2014 (Thursday) 18:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just me, or does Ken Rockwell not really know what he's writing about in his reviews?

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 21, 2014 11:44 |  #16

WaltA wrote in post #16774928 (external link)
Every once in a while Ken gets a friend (or one of his aliases) to post on POTN and other photo-based websites in order to generate some traffic to his web site by people who didn't bother to do a search in POTN before replying to a "Who is this Ken Rockwell and what does he know about photography" threads.

Funny it is, that every 6 months or so (just like the full frame vs crop threads) this one shows up.

Way to go Ken.

damn, Ken punks us again
that dastardly know-nothing
(or maybe he's a sharp cookie)

sponsored links
sjones
Goldmember
2,208 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 21, 2014 12:55 as a reply to  @ post 16774954 |  #17

The great thing about these numerous Rockwell threads, and I reckon they'll never stop, is that every time one is started and prolonged, Rockwell wins...and God bless him for that!

Plus, I'm sure some of his broader commentaries on photography infuriate certain gear whores, which is great!

Summer 2017 (external link)
Eggleston's photography is superb. Deal with it!
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 21, 2014 15:02 |  #18

Ken's site is potentially dangerous to new photographers seeking advice, but if you already know a few things and are looking for specific information, then he actually offers some interesting insights, since he goes much more in depth than most gear websites. You just need to be extremely critical of what you read there and have a laugh when you spot inconsistencies, recurring jokes or intentional hyperbole.
For instance, in his Nikon D4 review he mentioned that it has "telepathic" AF performance, only to later write in his Canon 1Dx review that it has the better AF system and that the D4 is for "amateurs" :lol:

And no, the threads will never stop as long as there are new photographers who stumble in here saying how they've been to his website.

One thing's for sure, he likes to review lots of legacy photography tech, which is a pretty big help for those that need it since there are effectively no other sites that do so.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 21, 2014 15:33 as a reply to  @ Kolor-Pikker's post |  #19

I dont know if I would agree with that. The fact that he says in many reviews, that a simple D40, 18-55, and 55-200 is all that most people will ever need is proof that he isnt trying to lead beginners astray.

But I do see what you are saying with some of the inside jokes. But then again, what beginner is readying up on D4's? :lol:

Andrew | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
D750, 24-70, 50 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 70-200 VRII, 300 F2.8 AF
Founder of www.midwestautomotive.​net (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 21, 2014 16:02 |  #20

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16775700 (external link)
For instance, in his Nikon D4 review he mentioned that it has "telepathic" AF performance, only to later write in his Canon 1Dx review that it has the better AF system and that the D4 is for "amateurs" :lol:

And no, the threads will never stop as long as there are new photographers who stumble in here saying how they've been to his website.

not to mention all his conspiracy theories

http://www.kenrockwell​.com/analprobe/dissent​.htm (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 21, 2014 16:06 |  #21

Myboostedgst wrote in post #16775767 (external link)
I dont know if I would agree with that. The fact that he says in many reviews, that a simple D40, 18-55, and 55-200 is all that most people will ever need is proof that he isnt trying to lead beginners astray.

But I do see what you are saying with some of the inside jokes. But then again, what beginner is readying up on D4's? :lol:

It's hard to agree about what to agree on when it comes to Ken.

I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

mguffin
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 21, 2014 16:31 |  #22

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16775839 (external link)

bw!

Mike
Nikon D800 ~ Nikon D500
Sigma 35 1.4 DG ~ Nikkor 35 f/1.8 DX ~ Nikkor 50 f/1.4D ~ Nikkor 85 f/1.8D ~ Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX ~ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX ~ Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR ~ Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC ~ Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 DC

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 21, 2014 17:21 |  #23

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16775839 (external link)

I think we can ALL agree, that he's getting rich.. by being a clown. ;)

And no, i'm not jealous of him.. i'd rather be poor like i am, than him. :lol:

Kel
Gear

WaltA
Goldmember
3,855 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 21, 2014 17:41 |  #24

sjones wrote in post #16775424 (external link)
The great thing about these numerous Rockwell threads, and I reckon they'll never stop, is that every time one is started and prolonged, Rockwell wins...and God bless him for that!

Plus, I'm sure some of his broader commentaries on photography infuriate certain gear whores, which is great!

There was an Urban Myth some time back that he was actually a POTN member. We should ask him for a donation to POTN for all the people we send his way.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 21, 2014 19:13 as a reply to  @ Myboostedgst's post |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

I can say he is a Nikon guy. I just switched to Nikon few weeks ago and almost all of the lenses I researched in he seems to praise them all the same. I am surprised that he likes big, long range zoom lenses. One thing I find it annoying is that he would compare one lens and making recommendations of another. While you are reading the review of the other lens and he then recommends another lens.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

ERJL
384 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 21, 2014 19:24 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

watt100 wrote in post #16775834 (external link)
not to mention all his conspiracy theories

http://www.kenrockwell​.com/analprobe/dissent​.htm (external link)

It is well known that the only decent camera for AP imaging is the Sony a7r using Leica Sumicron glass :)

That combination opens up so many possibilities for fine imaging :p oh wait wrong smilie for that :oops:

(pardon my butting in, just couldn't resist the opportunity)

-ERJL

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,093 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 22, 2014 06:03 |  #27

WaltA wrote in post #16776044 (external link)
...for all the people we send his way.

Exactly. Ken Rockwell is more brilliant that all of you added together.

Look what he manipulated all of you into doing for him - free of charge.

Here, let me help a little too:

Tags: ken rockwell, lens reviews, camera reviews, photography advice, tutorials, marketing advice, promotions advice

Website (external link) |

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 22, 2014 14:36 |  #28

ERJL wrote in post #16776253 (external link)
It is well known that the only decent camera for AP imaging is the Sony a7r using Leica Sumicron glass :)

That combination opens up so many possibilities for fine imaging :p oh wait wrong smilie for that :oops:

(pardon my butting in, just couldn't resist the opportunity)

I got to shoot a A7r with a 50mm Summicron and it was a great experience. I certainly don't need another camera system but I thought the combo was excellent minus the big bulky clumsy adapter. I'd rather shoot the Sony 1.8/55 native though.

You folks harp on Ken but I am not getting it. Yes his comments should be taken with a grain of salt like all online evaluations but I am betting he's a decent good guy who loves photography and is trying to make a living sharing his experience with others.

Lloyd Chambers on the other hand takes that act to a wholly different level of expertise. Lloyd is a master at exposing the information that is truly critical. And he charges for access. It's worth it if you care about such matters.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 22, 2014 15:44 |  #29

jetcode wrote in post #16777723 (external link)
Lloyd Chambers on the other hand takes that act to a wholly different level of expertise. Lloyd is a master at exposing the information that is truly critical. And he charges for access. It's worth it if you care about such matters.

I don't think anyone cares enough to pay up front, certainly not me, but I've been to Ken's site many times. Ultimately, Ken probably got a lot more money from me just from the ads that load on the side, Lloyd $0.

In any case, I don't like counting money in other people's pockets and suggest others do the same, it's not nice.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 23, 2014 06:00 |  #30

1Tanker wrote in post #16775999 (external link)
I think we can ALL agree, that he's getting rich.. by being a clown. ;)

yes, Ken Rockwell is getting the ad referrals by luring unsuspecting dupes
a rich clown !;)

sponsored links

9,958 views & 3 likes for this thread
Just me, or does Ken Rockwell not really know what he's writing about in his reviews?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.