Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 Mar 2014 (Friday) 12:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice on family portrait

robienyshe
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 21, 2014 13:02 |  #16

Hey thanks gonzogolf and digital paradise.. it was nice of you guys helping me out..

T4i, Σ 17-50 f2.8, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 50mm f1.8, 40mm f2.8, 85mm f1.8, 430EXII SpeedLite, LR4, DOLICA AX620B100

sponsored links
robienyshe
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 21, 2014 13:04 |  #17

Is there any link or video that you know which could help me getting better understanding.
I know I could google search.. but looking from u for more valuable info... thanks..

T4i, Σ 17-50 f2.8, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 50mm f1.8, 40mm f2.8, 85mm f1.8, 430EXII SpeedLite, LR4, DOLICA AX620B100

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,228 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 21, 2014 14:26 |  #18

robienyshe wrote in post #16775445 (external link)
Is there any link or video that you know which could help me getting better understanding.
I know I could google search.. but looking from u for more valuable info... thanks..

Are you planning on doing this indoors or out?

robienyshe
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 21, 2014 14:43 |  #19

gonzogolf wrote in post #16775621 (external link)
Are you planning on doing this indoors or out?

Mostly indoor. At my house. Haven't thought how it would be @ outdoor.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,228 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 21, 2014 15:02 |  #20

robienyshe wrote in post #16775656 (external link)
Mostly indoor. At my house. Haven't thought how it would be @ outdoor.

Indoors the disparity in brightness between the ambient light and the flash determine how deep your shadows are. The umbrella will help soften the edges, but not the depth (how dark the shadow is). For a group you almost always want the light near the camera axis so that you arent casting side shadows from one person onto another.

Here is a good video on outdoor fill flash. He pimps the meter, but you dont need it, but they are a sponsor. Pay attention to what he says about balance between ambient and flash. https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=Y01cwu4RouI (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,832 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 21, 2014 15:49 |  #21

Got a few outdoor videos but I'm coming up short on indoor. There is not much too it. Put the umbrella above you and point downwards towards the people. Minimum 10 feet away.

Camera on manual, ISO 400, shutter about 1/125 and aperture at F8. Two options with the flash, ETTL or manual. Both are really pretty much the same as you will probably need to tweak the FEC when in ETTL for correct flash exposure. The big difference is in manual you are guaranteed to get consistent exposures because you select it, not a computer.

You probably don't have flash meter. This is not a perfect tool but it can be helpful. The white towel method. Expose for the whites and pretty much the rest falls into place. Start at about ½ flash power in manual, take a shot, look at your LCD and observe the histogram to to see where the whites are and the overall look of the shot. Adjust flash power to fine tune. Oh yes. make sure there is good separation between the people and the background to prevent shadows.

Scroll down and look at the gent holding the towel.

http://super.nova.org/​DPR/Histogram/ (external link)

Here is another outdoor video that does not use a flash meter. You have to be careful how you shoot outdoors because if the sun behind your family one flash will not be enough to illuminate them.

I would find a nice shade tree or something like that where the background is nice and bright. Put your family under the shade. Make sure there are no hot spot dimples from the sun poking through the trees. Turn the flash off and adjust your camera the way you want the background to be. ISO 100 and do not exceed 1/160 on your shutter speed. That can be different. I don't know your cameras sync speed and what off camera triggering system you will be using. Ignore the people for now. When you get the background the way you want it then turn the flash on and adjust flash power to correctly illuminate the people.

http://www.youtube.com …vEnAhkL0i38&fea​ture=feedf (external link)

If you want to really get create you can explore high speed sync however the flash loses power when this feature is enabled.

Videos- tutorials - lighting tutorial. He does use a softbox outdoors but ti is good info.

http://www.stansphotos​.com (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

robienyshe
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 21, 2014 17:19 |  #22

Thanks guys.. both of you... will look at them..

sponsored links

2,361 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice on family portrait
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.