Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Jul 2006 (Saturday) 16:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What would cause blurry photos at high shutter speeds?

AliAyson
257 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 01, 2006 16:26 |  #1

I have an EOS 1D Mark II camera and I'm having some problems getting sharp, non-blurry photos--even at very high shutter speeds. I upgraded from an EOS 10D and I never had this problem with the 10D. I think (hope) that my problem is simply due to the fact that the 1D Mark II is so much heavier than my 10D was and I'm experiencing some camera shake. However, I'm a bit concerned that maybe it's an autofocusing issue and, considering the cost of this camera, I'd really hate for it to be that.

What would cause a photo to be blurred even at very high shutter speeds (1/1600)?? I took a photo of my son ,who was standing stationary, and it came out blurry. I checked the auto-focusing points (with EOS viewer) to see where the camera was focused and those areas that were blurry should have been sharp as the focus points were right on them.

I was using a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 lens. The focal length was 70mm. I was using "One Shot AF" mode and ISO 200. This has happened to me quite a few times and I'm just trying to understand what the heck I could be doing wrong???? I'd taken a previous shot of my son (just a few seconds before the blurry shot) that came out fine (same settings, same AF points, etc). So why would one photo come out sharp and the next blurry?

Can camera shake come into play even at such high shutter speeds?

Thanks. I feel sort of stupid asking such an obvious question, but there are so many on this list with so many years of experience (which I don't have) that I figured it was worth feeling stupid if it will ease my concerns about something being wrong with the camera.

Thanks again...

Aliayson

sponsored links
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jul 01, 2006 16:37 |  #2

Was the whole picture equally blurry or just the subject. If it was just the subject with something in the foreground or background being sharp, then that's a focusing issue. If the whole picture was blurry, then it could be camera movement/shakes or a soft focusing lens, depending on the type of blur. Any chance you can post a sample image?

You might also want to try doing some test shots with the camera on a tripod to see if the blur persist even then.

...Leo

AliAyson
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 01, 2006 17:48 as a reply to  @ PacAce's post |  #3

Leo,

the whole picture appears equally blurry, though I've had other "blurry" photos in which parts of my subject are clear and other parts are blurry (and the parts that are blurry are the ones my autofocus points are supposedly focused on). I have tried using my tripod with a bit better results, though not 100%. I'm reasonably sure it's camera shake, I just thought it strange that a stationary subject taken at 1/1600 could end up blurry due to camera shake. I'm certainly not jumping up an down when I take the photo!

I've attached the two photos I referred to in my post. LE8B8087 is the blurry photo and LE8B8086 is the sharper photo.

-- AliAyson

Oops..can't get the images small enough to post so nevermind...

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 01, 2006 20:45 |  #4

Try uploading the pictures to a webslite like flickr or photobucket and linking from there?

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

greenoakla
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 23, 2013 14:59 as a reply to  @ Jim G's post |  #5

Hi AliAyson,

I found this very old post that described the very same puzzling problem I have with my Canon 6D. Whole pictures sometimes came out somewhat blurry even at very high shutter speeds (1/3200). Wonder if you ever resolve your problem, and how?

Henry.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 23, 2013 16:22 |  #6

Henry,

Welcome to POTN!

Post a few samples with EXIF info and we'll be able to diagnose the problem quickly.
Without actual examples, we're just guessing. There are many factors that can make pictures blurry.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

xeodragon
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 23, 2013 17:52 as a reply to  @ Curtis N's post |  #7

Ran into this issue when taking photos at the aquarium... I imagine it's due to camera shake, low lighting, AF issues, another layer of glass, and the water, causing the blurriness.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,418 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Oct 23, 2013 18:57 |  #8

greenoakla wrote in post #16393496 (external link)
Hi AliAyson,

I found this very old post that described the very same puzzling problem I have with my Canon 6D. Whole pictures sometimes came out somewhat blurry even at very high shutter speeds (1/3200). Wonder if you ever resolve your problem, and how?

Henry.

What aperture were you shooting at? My bet is that you were wide open and thus had a very narrow DoF, which combined with some camera shake. DoF on full frame is narrower that for a crop sensor camera at the same aperture/distance.foca​l length. This can sometimes take time to adjust too when making the switch. Try using AI Servo autofocus, it may work better than One Shot as it will continually focus, which may correct for any camera shake.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

PhotoFlaw
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 23, 2013 21:27 |  #9

It would be something wrong with your camera such as the focus, a dirty lens

greenoakla
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 24, 2013 13:09 as a reply to  @ PhotoFlaw's post |  #10

Thanks for all the feedback. Here's a folder with 4 RAW photos taken at 1/3200s or 1/4000s, and one taken with 1/250s:
https://www.dropbox.co​m/sh/fxta7hl7x9gnkgj/j​RtYIfz9SG (external link)

The high shutter speeds were used while riding in a moving car, with the hope of freezing the motion and getting sharp pictures. However, when viewed at original size, there seems to be some haze around the edges, giving an unsharp appearance.

In IMG_1172, I was standing still at the vista point and hand-holding the camera like I normally do (I forgot to dial down the shutter). Still, I can see some haze around the edges overall. Photo IMG_1186 was taken at 1/250s, and it looks better!
I always use One Shot AF setting, so focus must be attained before the shots were taken.

rondiggity
62 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 24, 2013 15:29 |  #11

Even at high shutter speeds handheld and moving subjects can introduce a little movement. Moving in a car, yes now you are moving a lot =)

1DX | 50 1.2 | 70-200 II | 600s | San Diego Wedding Photographer (external link) | Google+ (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 24, 2013 18:42 |  #12

"Haze around the edges" can mean various things aside from motion "blur". Do you know how to take/post screen shots? If so, "snip" a small portion of a shot (100% view) that clearly shows the "haze" and post it here!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,418 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Oct 24, 2013 21:11 |  #13

greenoakla wrote in post #16395837 (external link)
Thanks for all the feedback. Here's a folder with 4 RAW photos taken at 1/3200s or 1/4000s, and one taken with 1/250s:
https://www.dropbox.co​m/sh/fxta7hl7x9gnkgj/j​RtYIfz9SG (external link)

The high shutter speeds were used while riding in a moving car, with the hope of freezing the motion and getting sharp pictures. However, when viewed at original size, there seems to be some haze around the edges, giving an unsharp appearance.

1. Depth of field - Not sure what you focused on but you were shooting at f/4.0 which means that almost nothing in the image is going to be in focus.
2. You were shooting with the EF24-105 f/4 IS USM at f/4 (wide open) and at max zoom. I have that lens and it is far from sharp, especially wide open.
3. You were shooting in one shot AF mode - this probably isn't going to matter with this sort of general landscape shot as it doesn't matter exactly where the camera focuses. But when shooting a specific subject like a tree (while you are moving) or a person who is moving, AI servo is the correct AF mode to use as it continuously refocuses).

In IMG_1172, I was standing still at the vista point and hand-holding the camera like I normally do (I forgot to dial down the shutter). Still, I can see some haze around the edges overall. Photo IMG_1186 was taken at 1/250s, and it looks better!
I always use One Shot AF setting, so focus must be attained before the shots were taken.

This one, I am afraid, is a combination of the 24-105 lens being generally soft, especially wide open, and the fact that you were shooting at f/4 resulting in narrow depth of field.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 24, 2013 22:55 |  #14

Henry,

I'll defer to Dan's expertise on the 24-105L since I've never used that lens. But I agree with his analysis that the image quality issues are due to lens limitations and not motion blur.

The difference between IMG_1172 and IMG_1186 shows the value of stopping down a lens.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

greenoakla
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 26, 2013 14:52 as a reply to  @ Curtis N's post |  #15

Thanks to Dan and others for all the advice. I was expecting the extreme high shutter speed to freeze motion (like a strobe does) and give me sharper pictures, but I overlooked the image degradation effect of a wide-open aperture. With the good high ISO of the 6D, I could have stopped down a bit. I'll also try AI Servo next time. Thanks again!

Henry.

sponsored links

8,466 views & 0 likes for this thread
What would cause blurry photos at high shutter speeds?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.