Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Mar 2014 (Thursday) 17:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

L-bracket prices?

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 20, 2014 20:41 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

My RRS L Plates just work without me ever thinking about them. To me, that is worth the extra few bucks over cheaper made, less precise machined products which might shift just slightly when I'm doing some final adjustments. Precision equipment no matter what industry costs money.

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,837 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Mar 20, 2014 22:43 |  #17

I don't mind paying for a quality product. I don't really need an L bracket when I'm shooting a lens with a lens foot/tripod ring but I still leave mine on all the time anyway.

I use a Kirk L bracket for my 60D because RRS doesn't make a one piece for that camera model. That being said, I love my RRS tripod and monopod. They make excellent equipment.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

VirtualRain
541 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 21, 2014 02:08 |  #18

I'm not one to talk when it comes to over paying for quality gear, and the difference between a RRS and HK import is only $80, but I gotta agree with the OP, I just feel like RRS/Kirk etc is ripping people off.

Sony a7rII / 24-240 / Zeiss 25, 55, 85

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 21, 2014 02:34 |  #19

Jon wrote in post #16773886 (external link)
Only if the second one is smaller than the first one . . . Otherwise you need to use a larger block of metal. And sooner or later (mostly sooner), you'll reach the point of diminishing returns. You could maybe get a single gripped and a single ungripped L plate from one billet. But to handle non-equal demand, they'd either need to maintain a fairly large inventory or to develop templates for any combination of gripped/ungripped L plates they could expect in.

No - you place them on the diagonal, so everyone can be the same size.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

NU27D
464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 21, 2014 11:31 |  #20

Hogloff wrote in post #16773974 (external link)
My RRS L Plates just work without me ever thinking about them. To me, that is worth the extra few bucks over cheaper made, less precise machined products which might shift just slightly when I'm doing some final adjustments. Precision equipment no matter what industry costs money.

YES! One of the best purchases I've made for my 7D. I took the advice I found here on POTN and have never regretted it once! I wish everything photography related was as perfect as my RRS set up!

As a side benefit I have the peace of mind of knowing I didn't further contribute to the demise of the middle class on some level.

tunin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 21, 2014 11:44 |  #21

Hello all, thank you for your responses, I see quite a diverse set of opinions on this subject, good.

I would say I know what it takes to make something and market it, I own a small business my self. The thing is, that does not justify the price of 200 usd for a pc. of metal if other little companies can make it half price and even cheaper... I can understand the fit/quality of RRS/KIRK over any of the ones made in China and elsewhere but if they can make the cheap ones for that price that means RRS/Kirk can make it better for say double but not 5-10 times the amount...

Just an example, my father is in to hunting, he buys different optics for his rifles, he pays for the optics say 400, he gets tree different brackets from the same manufacturer for price of 10 usd per pc. Also machined out of one pc. of aluminum out of a large chunk, also shown on the manufacturers website, they make it market it + recycle the shredded aluminum to make more of the same...

My point is, if I paid 450-500 for an RRS head, very good, precise, loving it... and then they charge me for a pc. of metal half of that??? That is just plain ripping off...

For the price of their heads, they should supply at least one plate or even an L-plate in the package at checkout.

I am not young enough to know everything. O.W.
www.medjugorje.net (external link)
*** Amateur tools ***

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 21, 2014 11:52 |  #22

But prices seldom follow the production price.

It's more a question of how much you can charge the customer.

If you see enough customers pay through their nose then you can continue with high prices and even slowly increase it further. Lots of competitors might sell cheaper but that doesn't matter as long as enough customers "values quality".

The problem is if one of the cheaper companies manages to get a reputation for holding a very high quality - and continues to sell their version at a significantly lower price. Then the very expensive supplier have big issues. People who like quality might switch supplier because they feel they still get premium quality. And the expensive supplier can't just halve their prices without angering all their current customers, which would result in a huge amount of bad talk on the net.

So there is danger in milking the market, hoping that the quality reputation will be enough to keep a large enough customer base.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC

tunin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 21, 2014 11:58 |  #23

I agree with everything you wrote. I am on a rampage now to source all possible 5D3, I will buy one of each and do some testing... I will go the extra mile as I am ticked by this more than anything else I paid top dollar...

Once I get all of the brackets I ordered, I will try to be as objective as possible as to which is the best value and how they compare. I hope some of you my dear PONTERS will have some use out of all of this. :)

pwm2 wrote in post #16775278 (external link)
But prices seldom follow the production price.

It's more a question of how much you can charge the customer.

If you see enough customers pay through their nose then you can continue with high prices and even slowly increase it further. Lots of competitors might sell cheaper but that doesn't matter as long as enough customers "values quality".

The problem is if one of the cheaper companies manages to get a reputation for holding a very high quality - and continues to sell their version at a significantly lower price. Then the very expensive supplier have big issues. People who like quality might switch supplier because they feel they still get premium quality. And the expensive supplier can't just halve their prices without angering all their current customers, which would result in a huge amount of bad talk on the net.

So there is danger in milking the market, hoping that the quality reputation will be enough to keep a large enough customer base.

*** Amateur tools ***

windpig
Chopped liver
14,887 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 21, 2014 12:45 |  #24

To some people shopping is a hobby, sometimes a profession. Myself, I try and buy what I know is good, alot of times on recommendations from others. Unlike lighting, this was a single item from a company that I had prior experience with, so I went for it. I felt my time was better spent shooting images than vetting out L brackets and trying to save $50..

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

tunin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 21, 2014 13:30 |  #25

I am sorry but it is not about the 50 that't I'll save, it is a matter of principle and a matter of giving the 50 I would save to those in need.

*** Amateur tools ***

windpig
Chopped liver
14,887 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 21, 2014 13:44 |  #26

I understand. You have to put a value on your time though.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 21, 2014 14:47 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

windpig wrote in post #16775531 (external link)
I understand. You have to put a value on your time though.

Ain't that the truth. $50 savings just ain't worth the hours it takes to save it and in the end you get an inferior product. No thanks.

jrscls
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 21, 2014 16:06 |  #28

The Sunwayfoto L brackets that are custom fitted, in my experience (I have two of them), are every bit as good for fit and finish as RRS and Kirk.

Fujifilm X-T3, 16mm f/1.4, 23mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 56mm f/1.2, 80mm f/2.8 OIS Macro, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 OIS, 1.4x TC, Flashpoint R2 Strobes/Flashes

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 21, 2014 16:34 |  #29

Hogloff wrote in post #16775670 (external link)
Ain't that the truth. $50 savings just ain't worth the hours it takes to save it and in the end you get an inferior product. No thanks.

That depends on how fast you make $50.

And an "inferior product" need not really be inferior - it might not differ in a way that actually make any difference to the user ending up representing the same actual quality.

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 21, 2014 16:39 |  #30

tunin wrote in post #16775253 (external link)
My point is, if I paid 450-500 for an RRS head, very good, precise, loving it... and then they charge me for a pc. of metal half of that??? That is just plain ripping off...

For the price of their heads, they should supply at least one plate or even an L-plate in the package at checkout.

I agree.

When you want the best and are willing to pay for it...go for it. I have no problem with that if there is no other alternative. If tripods were only made by Gitzo, I would have a Gitzo tripod (or insert RRS if you like). My Benro seems to be holding up just fine. You'd never know from my pictures that I use a less expensive tripod. I have two 5.5 inch lens plates, one from Jobu Designs ($60) one from China ($16) and honestly I don't see a difference.

And the time spent checking prices is just a couple of minutes on line, type in your info push the send button and the product arrives in a couple of days ( sometimes 2 weeks if it's from China:lol:).

I'm sure that owning an L brackett from RRS/Kirk/Markins gives a sense of pride in ownership and the knowledge that it will work each and every time you use it.

For me it is just a hunk of metal to hold the camera and lens, which after all is very light weight. It's not supporting my weight as I do chin ups.

Jim
Gear List

sponsored links

4,309 views & 0 likes for this thread
L-bracket prices?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.