Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Jun 2013 (Monday) 22:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 1DX & 1DC service notice

Reservoir_Dog
148 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 22, 2014 18:38 as a reply to  @ post 16750264 |  #286

There are even issues reported with camera's with the sixth number with 8's and even 9ners....

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Gallery: 1655 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Mar 24, 2014 16:10 |  #287

Reservoir_Dog wrote in post #16778131 (external link)
There are even issues reported with camera's with the sixth number with 8's and even 9ners....

So don't buy one. :D

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

dave2
57 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 24, 2014 16:30 |  #288

I just checked my 1dx shutter actuations via the camera and I am at 568,000 shots. The shutter was replaced at 300,000 or so due to failure. Apparently they do not reset the shutter count when replacing the shutter?? Mine was fixed under the recall shortly after I bought it last year.

JBillings
909 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 24, 2014 19:24 |  #289

dave2 wrote in post #16783202 (external link)
I just checked my 1dx shutter actuations via the camera and I am at 568,000 shots. The shutter was replaced at 300,000 or so due to failure. Apparently they do not reset the shutter count when replacing the shutter?? Mine was fixed under the recall shortly after I bought it last year.

I'm curious, how much did the shutter replacement cost?

jb
Nature website (external link) -- Sports website (external link)

TJays
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 24, 2014 19:31 |  #290

I've never had a single problem with mine, well worth every penny I paid for it. But I sorry to hear some have had issues.

Regards
Terri Jean

5D4 Gripped-EOS 1DX Markll -600mm/4.0 II L-35-350mm/3.5 L-70-200/2.8 L-24-70mm/2.8 L-85mm/1.2 II L-50mm/1.2 L

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,724 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 24, 2014 20:31 |  #291

Oh, and mine was perfect before the recall service, and it continues to be flawless. Love it.

dave2
57 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 03, 2014 11:39 |  #292

JBillings wrote in post #16783603 (external link)
I'm curious, how much did the shutter replacement cost?

I had it done under warranty so it was free.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Gallery: 1655 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Apr 03, 2014 16:52 |  #293

Cold weather AF failure... guess I will have to cancel my Antarctica trip.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

smclaren
213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 04, 2014 01:02 |  #294

Is this round two:

EOS-1D X & EOS-1D C Cold Weather Autofocus Issues
APRIL 3, 2014 CANON 1D X FOLLOW ON OUR FORUM

EOS-1D X & EOS-1D C Cold Weather Autofocus Issues
We have been notified about a known issue within Canon on the Canon EOS-1D X and Canon EOS-1D C camera bodies and sometimes not autofocusing in cold weather situations. I have read about the issues on our own forum as well as on others.

Below is an explanation of the issue we’ve received from an anonymous source, though no official service advisory has been issued by Canon.

Symptom:
Camera “does not autofocus”, “does not search in AF”, or “does not focus in AF search” depending on the reporter or the camera settings; specifically, the focus cannot be achieved in low temperatures (under 0 degree Celsius).

* Although there has been no reported occurrence on the EOS-1D C, the mechanical structure of the Mirror Box Ass’y is the same as the EOS-1DX, so the EOS-1D C is included in the affected product.

Cause:
This phenomenon is due to the Locking Claw of the Sub Mirror (mirror for AF) going over the Locking Pin. The Sub Mirror’s angle becomes deviated and the light rays for AF does not fall on the AF sensors, causing the “does not autofocus” phenomenon.

EOS-1D X Mirrorbox Phenomenon in Cold Weather | Pre January 2013
EOS-1D X Mirrorbox Phenomenon in Cold Weather | Pre January 2013
Service of Affected Product:
To control the torque, the process to check the Locking Claw’s going over torque of Locking Pin has been newly incorporated. (From production on January 24)

Repair Procedure:
Handling of units in question: If the user complains about this specific phenomenon (does not autofocus in low temperature), replace the Mirror Box Ass’y with the ones to be shipped in the future (CY3-1661-010 or CY3-1687-010).

Handling of general repairs: If the user does not mention this phenomenon, please handle as normal repair.

The line directly above is of great concern to me. If you bought one of the earlier EOS-1D X cameras and live in a warm climate, you may never know the issues existed until you went to shoot in a cold climate.

The notice is dated January 2013, so I assume all cameras manufactured after that date would be unaffected. There is no serial number range that I can see, nor do we know how widespread the issue is. However, if you have experienced this phenomenon, you now know what it is.

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,305 posts
Gallery: 784 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 16, 2014 21:28 |  #295

Just bought a second 1Dx (new), to find out it has to go back for the fix. Bummer.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

cheffievrs
561 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 17, 2014 11:06 |  #296

Voaky999 wrote in post #16839717 (external link)
Just bought a second 1Dx (new), to find out it has to go back for the fix. Bummer.

I'd have asked the retailer to swap the body...

Queens Royal Hussars
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/59499293@N08 (external link) http://500px.com/jswoo​d (external link)

soccersnaps
454 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 17, 2014 16:06 |  #297

thought this was fixed by now, how did you find out your new camera was affected?

there are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,305 posts
Gallery: 784 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 17, 2014 16:22 |  #298

soccersnaps wrote in post #16841740 (external link)
thought this was fixed by now, how did you find out your new camera was affected?

It is in the serial number range affected and does not have any of the marks in the battery slot that signify it has been fixed.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

soccersnaps
454 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 17, 2014 18:22 |  #299

i bought mine last november and it was way outside the seriel number range, im real surprised that a body bought new now is affected......i would take back to dealer

there are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

N2bnfunn
725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 18, 2014 00:43 |  #300

Never had any problems with mine, I just sent mine into Canon for cleaning that is it.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

sponsored links

51,542 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 1DX & 1DC service notice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.