Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Mar 2014 (Sunday) 06:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Arrgg..how to handle this...

porky101
609 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 23, 2014 06:23 |  #1

Hi guys....

So I am just getting started with my photography business and already its not as "pleasant" as I would have hoped....

Heres the situation...

I got hired to do a surprise birthday shoot for a 21st birthday girl. her friends organised the shoot and 4 of them including the birthday girl came and I did a shoot with them.

I delivered the pictures to the person who organised the shoot and she loved them, paid me and everything was great.

I get a call this morning from the birthday girl saying the photo's are terrible.......the compisition is bad, I have over photoshopped it so much that it looks like I have put her eye brow in her eye and her friends eye color's are different and I changed the eye color (I never touch eye color) Although I do always process my photo's in photoshop.

She then says I took hundreds of photo's and only gave 27 pictures. (in my oppinion 27 fully edited pics in an hour is good going)

Anyways she says she wants all the unedited RAW files....over the phone I told her that could be arranged but also asked for her email...so I can put it down onto writing etc etc....

how do I handle this? as I said I am new to the business side of things.....I really really dont want to give my raw files to her....they look like crap!!! ill post a few of the pictures I delivered, the girl who is unhappy with the pictures is the one in the black dress or the "chubby" one with black hair. (they changed outfit once or twice)

Thanks for your help guys and I appreciate all input!

I cant embed the pictures for some reason, so here they are on flicker....they the first couple of pictures numbered 1-15 although flicker starts at number 15.

sponsored links
w9trb
149 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 23, 2014 06:35 |  #2

Tell her raw files are $10.00 each, paid in advance and no refunds and no rights to print.

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 23, 2014 06:43 |  #3

I would not sell the RAW files no matter what. Especially for $10 like w9trb suggested. Tell her that you only release edited photos. Did you have a contract with the person who hired you? You worked for the person who hired you, not the birthday girl. The client (person who hired you) is happy. Nothing more needs to be done on your part.

Back to the contact thing. In your contract, assuming you had one, did you state how many pictures would be delivered? Whenever I shoot an event or do a portrait session, I detail it out in my contract that a minimum of X images will be delivered in Jpeg format. Any extras are at my discretion.

Do you have a link to your Flickr account so we can see the images in question?

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

porky101
THREAD ­ STARTER
609 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 23, 2014 06:45 |  #4

I never had a "written" contract....but I dealt with the blond girl...she paid me, I delivered the pictures to her...she was happy.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,187 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 23, 2014 06:46 |  #5

Without seeing the photos its difficult to know whether her complaints about quality have any merit. putting that aside for now. A) Despite her being the birthday girl, she wasnt your client. The person who made the appointment and paid you is your client. B) What did you promise the client that you deliver? Were you clear upfront that you would edit only the shots you felt had any merit and did you specify any amount? A few thoughts here. The client doesnt get any Raw files. They probably dont even know what Raw files are, thinking raw means unretouched. Jpeg files. If you feel you need to satisfy this person you could offer to fix her concerns with the editing of the photos you delivered, but find some method where you dont surrender.

Can you link to some of the photos? Its hard to know if her complaints are even worth worrying about.

porky101
THREAD ­ STARTER
609 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 23, 2014 06:48 |  #6

What cought my interest, is she sounded like she was "an expert" with photo's...

She said specific things that only people who know photography would say, she did use the word "raw" photo's. I almost got the feeling someone else was telling her to say certain things....anyways plz let me know if you can see my link:D

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 23, 2014 06:50 |  #7

If you don't mind sharing, how much did you charge them?

The only thing I can see in some of the images (and this is all IMO) is that some of the skin seems a bit overdone and looks a bit plasticy, and some of their eyes are brightened up too much.

But overall, the girl should not be complaining. With the type of pictures you were doing, 27 is more than enough for 1 hour of time. It's not like you were doing candids or something.

In the future though, I would be sure to get a written contract. It really helps detail things out to set expectations for both sides.

As far as the unhappy birthday girl, you are just going to have to tell her that you do not release anything other than the edited Jpegs. You can pretty much tell her "sorry, you were not my client". You were in agreement with the other girl. You fulfilled your duties.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

porky101
THREAD ­ STARTER
609 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 23, 2014 06:53 |  #8

ok thanks man, I appreciate your advice. I have never been in this situation so I am unsure how to handle it.

I charged them way to little....as I said I am just starting out, I charged them $60 for 27 edited photo's...I know nothing right? anyways I just need to get rolling and I will increase my price. They did pay for a makeup artist aswell, she was $130 for like 30 minutes....I was jealous haha:D

***I did specify an amount with the client, at the time it was a pure thumbsuck as I don't have much experience with shooting in a studio and how many pics I could do in an hour, I said over the phone 30-50 fully edited pictures.....it came out to 27 so I was close:) They not worried about the quantity though, the birthday girl just said my pictures were crap. Oh well this is life ill deal with it:D

Chris
Goldmember
4,123 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 23, 2014 07:58 |  #9

Can't imagine why they would not be happy with these, especially at the price you charged. I'd tell her that you picked out the best and that there are no more to give (well maybe 3 more since you promised 30-50) May be you could send her a few where they were caught mid expression or eyes closed to show her what you mean. Then I would just chalk this up to experience and walk away. I know it is hard though to let something like this go when you did your best and offered up what you considered to be good images. I have to say, I would have been proud to sho those images, especially as you are just starting out.

Chris

70D | 24-70 2.8 | 400 5.6 | 580 EXII | 2X Yongnuo 622C |

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,325 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 23, 2014 08:01 |  #10

You had no contract, charged too little and you're letting someone that didn't pay the bill give you a hard time. Forget them, you will never please them and do not make that mistake again. Tell them the cards have been formatted and the RAW files are gone.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 23, 2014 09:07 |  #11

porky101 wrote in post #16779064 (external link)
I delivered the pictures to the person who organised the shoot and she loved them, paid me and everything was great.

That is all that matters. Birthday girl does not have a dog in this fight, so she can go pound sand.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 23, 2014 09:07 |  #12

tcphoto1 wrote in post #16779229 (external link)
You had no contract, charged too little and you're letting someone that didn't pay the bill give you a hard time. Forget them, you will never please them and do not make that mistake again. Tell them the cards have been formatted and the RAW files are gone.

This^

And 2 other things that jump out at me:

If you were the birthday girl would you be happy? She certainly doesn't look as good as her friends, that'd bother most women.

How are your Raw files crappy? I appreciate that your studio experience is limited, but this is the kind of shoot you ought to be able to deliver SOOC JPEGs.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

w9trb
149 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 23, 2014 09:40 |  #13

My thinking was to simply make it too expensive for the Birthday Girl. She seems to want something for nothing.

porky101
THREAD ­ STARTER
609 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 23, 2014 09:53 |  #14

When I say crappy, I mean they are unfinished..sure you could do SOC, but honestly once I push them through lightroom, increase the blacks a bit etc etc...the image looks waaay better!

See a photo attached SOOC. My backdrop was too small for all 4...so a lot of the pics look like that SOOC

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 23, 2014 10:01 |  #15

First, you must understand that regardless of the quality of your work you will have some unhappy clients for factors often completely out of your control. Second, young females are difficult clients who have very high and unrealistic expectations about their appearance. Third, being responsive and diffusing customer problems is often more important than standing up for principle.

In this case, you will probably have a happier customer if you just provide the unedited jpegs. It will be far less effort and leaves her nothing else to complain about.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

sponsored links

54,058 views & 0 likes for this thread
Arrgg..how to handle this...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.