Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 22 Mar 2014 (Saturday) 22:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Beginner at Park

USA!USA!
193 posts
Joined May 2013

Mar 22, 2014 22:52 |  #1

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i41.photobucket​.com …JayNJess2008/IM​G_2267.jpg (external link)

http://i41.photobucket​.com …JayNJess2008/IM​G_2269.jpg (external link)

http://i41.photobucket​.com …JayNJess2008/IM​G_2287.jpg (external link)

http://i41.photobucket​.com …JayNJess2008/IM​G_2291.jpg (external link)

http://i41.photobucket​.com …JayNJess2008/IM​G_2303.jpg (external link)

http://i41.photobucket​.com …JayNJess2008/IM​G_2322.jpg (external link)

http://i41.photobucket​.com …JayNJess2008/IM​G_2334.jpg (external link)

My camera is a part of my body only nicer...

sponsored links
Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 23, 2014 06:48 |  #2

Other than #7 - even although it's very flat possibly due to a focussing issue (I'm only viewing on a laptop) they are snapshots which could have been and look like they were taken by a phone.

For instance, why in #4 and #5 did you choose to have them so people had their backs to the camera?

David

USA!USA!
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined May 2013

Mar 23, 2014 13:39 |  #3

Woodworker wrote in post #16779103 (external link)
Other than #7 - even although it's very flat possibly due to a focussing issue (I'm only viewing on a laptop) they are snapshots which could have been and look like they were taken by a phone.

For instance, why in #4 and #5 did you choose to have them so people had their backs to the camera?

My wife and daughter I wanted in a walking together in knowing I was taking the shot. The rest of the people I could careless wish they was not there but its Prom.
No idea what you are expecting from a photo to always assume point and shoot.

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 23, 2014 13:52 |  #4

USA!USA! wrote in post #16779967 (external link)

Incorrect Sir, I don't always assume point and shoot but, in this instance, your images do resemble that sort of appearance.

My advice to you is to view other members' images, evaluate the critiques given, critique them yourself and practise.

Some might, but I don't say images are good if I don't think they are but the main thing is whether you like them yourself :)

David

USA!USA!
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined May 2013

Mar 23, 2014 14:00 |  #5

Woodworker wrote in post #16780004 (external link)
Incorrect Sir, I don't always assume point and shoot but, in this instance, your images do resemble that sort of appearance.

My advice to you is to view other members' images, evaluate the critiques given, critique them yourself and practise.

Some might, but I don't say images are good if I don't think they are but the main thing is whether you like them yourself :)

I do like them but want to learn more tips I just don't know what else I could do to get what you expect from a crop camera with non L glass ? Input

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 23, 2014 14:36 |  #6

Please don't worry about your equipment - You've been listening to too many gearheads! Work with what you've got and learn about photography.

Somebody might post here and provide you with a course in photography which is a vast subject. There's no shame in being a beginner but I suggest your best way forward is to read up as much as you can about basic techniques and begin to put what you learn into practise. Rome wasn't built in a day and you won't become a skilled photographer overnight.

To reiterate, the acquisition of more expensive gear won't improve your technique or your ability to see a picture :)

David

sancho1983
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 23, 2014 14:49 |  #7

USA!USA! wrote in post #16780025 (external link)
I do like them but want to learn more tips I just don't know what else I could do to get what you expect from a crop camera with non L glass ? Input

You don't need full frame and L lenses to get nice pictures.

A lot of them are just a little 'boring'

1. My eye is searching around for something to be the focus of the picture. If it's supposed to be that hut thing then you need to be a lot closer.

2. Just some trees, not sure what it's supposed to be really.

3. Reasonably interesting, hard to get the exposure correct here and it looks like the top right is way over exposed and the focus point (the wood) is slightly under. I would have perhaps looked at the way the light is falling on it and played around with angles, then maybe bumped the clarity a bit in post to show the texture of the wood.

4. Not really sure of the 'focus' of the image. If it's the lady in yellow then you need to be a lot closer (at least crop out the people on the right), if it's the jetty thing then you perhaps need to go back when it's empty as the people are distracting.

5. If it was in focus, and those other people weren't there, and it was cropped slightly differently (rule of thirds) then I think it would be nice - although I quite like pictures of people walking away - not always a popular opinion!

6. What am I supposed to be looking at? The fence? The people? Not sure what you were going for here.

7. It's interesting, she's obviously seen something that she's keen on, just something not quite right about it. I'd maybe have waited until she turned to you and pointed to it with a great expression on her face.

I'm no expert but they were my first impressions. I've been doing this for years and learn things most days - it's the only way we improve. Hope to see more pictures from you soon.

Instagram (external link)
www.bgsweddings.co.uk (external link)

chocolatekara
286 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 23, 2014 20:00 |  #8

Hi and welcome :)
Being a beginner can be quite overwhelming and it takes a lot of guts to post your pics on here, exposing your images to the world! So well done!
Number 2 and number 7 are my picks :)
If I were to offer you some advice on shooting, it would be try practicing your composition. Start small, isolate your subjects. learn leading lines, rule of thirds and practice those until they become habit.
The things I like about 2 and 7 are they are more simple and it's clearer what you have intended the subject to be.
In number 7 you've also got down lower in line with your subject which changes the perspective and also makes it more interesting to me.
Have fun!

BigAlz1
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2014 21:57 |  #9

7, 3, 1 would be my picks and in that order.
My only tip this later in the evening is this. Are you shooting to take pictures for your personal scrap book? To remember the event and show family members?
You're pictures are sound and are more than good enough to keep for just that.
They are not that interesting of a subject to share with others.

So for positive criticism, pictures look good, and you're learning how to handle you're camera. You did try some protective stuff with #3, and #1 was almost a landscape. Work on subject matter if you're wanting to share with others, ;)
Keep em coming and we will try and help.

Eos 7D, 40D w/70-200L 2.8 IS, 50mm 1.4, Nifty Fifty II, 100MM 2.8 Macro, 18-135mm IS , Sigma 30mm 1.4 , Sigma 18-35 1.8 ART 580ex II

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 24, 2014 00:00 |  #10

First at all, stop to put the subject right in the middle !!
Learn the rule of composition ( like the rule of thirds, portrait photo, landscape, etc ... ),
there is plenty of website doing it for free !!

sancho1983 gave you very good advices and feeling about what people will feel seeing your pictures ! listen him !

And ... Practice, practice, practice, practice everyday !!

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 24, 2014 03:40 |  #11

USA!USA! wrote in post #16779967 (external link)
My wife and daughter I wanted in a walking together in knowing I was taking the shot. The rest of the people I could careless wish they was not there but its Prom.

For starters, you seem to be getting a little bit defensive. I think that's a mistake that it's natural for people to make, but it is a mistake. I get it, you're attached to the image because it's your family. But no one else here has the same emotional attachment to these images, they're just going to comment on the images alone. Getting defensive with comments just makes it look more evident that your images aren't sufficient to stand up on their own. It's okay to explain, but getting defensive is almost always counter-productive.

Having said that, there are some legitimate complaints. I'm not going to go too in-depth on each photo (I tend to be overly wordy as it is), but here are some comments:

1) Someone mentioned that it's a problem that you shot the backs of your wife and daughter, as opposed to their faces. I don't think that's INHERENTLY a problem, I don't think it should be a rule to photograph people from the front. Just be aware of what it SAYS when you photograph people from the back. They're moving AWAY from the photographer/viewer. That lack of subject/viewer engagement can instantly be a turnoff, one of the big exceptions being if you have shown or implied what they are actually engaged in. That is to say, if they are walking away from the viewer, then what are they walking towards? That should probably be implied or explicitly stated, otherwise it's way too easy for "detachment from the viewer" to become what the image is actually ABOUT. I speculate that since these are your wife and daughter, you don't want that to be what the image is about. From what I understand, their goal was in getting to the prom. That WOULD be fine, except that it's not evident in the image. I can't possibly derive that from the image, you have to tell me, which means that the image isn't standing on its own.

2) You say that you couldn't care less about the other people, the image is about your wife and daughter. Okay, I see your point. The only problem is that you DID include the other people. Therefore, the image ISN'T about your wife and daughter, the image is about their relationship to what is going on around them. That's not opinion, that's fact. I know that your INTENT was on this being about your wife and daughter, but you shot wide and included a whole bunch of other elements. And it's not about what you intended, it's about what the image says. There's nothing in the image to single out your wife and daughter from everything else that's happening and show that the image is about them.

3) The last image is more effective. That's more in line with actually being "about your daughter". There, extraneous elements have been eliminated, the only person in the scene is your daughter. You've gotten in close, eliminated the elements which have nothing to do with what the image is about, and that image is more about your daughter. It's also still about your daughter's relationship with the environment, but it's also a bit more conceptually clear since you've reduced that environment by getting in close.

Anyway, nice effort and don't get too discouraged. Many of these images have big problems, though I think people could be a bit more helpful in actually explaining why they aren't working. That being said, there are some interesting things going on here, so just keep at it and I'm sure you'll get better. To sum up...

1) Don't get defensive. I realize that some critics aren't really helpful, but you also aren't helping yourself if you get defensive.

2) Realize that what you want the images to be is largely irrelevant when you present them to a wide audience. There's nothing wrong with you loving them based on an ingrained emotional attachment, but that attachment applies to you alone, and critics can't feel the same personal connection. The image has to stand on its own (in most cases). Don't project your personal values onto your audience.

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 24, 2014 04:58 |  #12

Clean Gene wrote in post #16781593 (external link)
I realize that some critics aren't really helpful

I hold my hands up to that and apologise to the OT if I appeared harsh :)

As a general rule, I feel posters would receive more helpful critique from me were they to present one or two images rather, as is the case here, to post as many as seven. Perhaps I should have chosen just one or two to comment on at more length and this is something I'll bear in mind in future.

I wasn't intimidated in the least by his defence and can well understand why he did as he did. As you rightly state, it does call for bravery on the part of a beginner to offer up images for critique and, all things considered, he accepted adverse comments very well.

David

JasonMK
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 24, 2014 05:23 |  #13

Well, it looks like you picked a nice location to take some photos. And, if that is your daughter, she is a cute kid. Keep practicing, keep sharing, be open to what others share and find what works to make your photos what you desire them to be. Most of us take a lot of photos that in the end aren't that good, but if you walk away from a day at the park with a handful of "keepers" you'll be just fine.

-JasonMK on Flickr (external link)
1Ds Mark III | 650D | EF 17~40mm 4L | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX III | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR CC

USA!USA!
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined May 2013

Mar 24, 2014 22:08 |  #14

Thank you yes she is beautiful and also i don't mean to sound defensive this was posted for feedback and help on doing better. I have dealt with Wood before so i know its hard line criticism lol
Yes me and my wife even said we would maybe like to go back when it is not full of 100 kids shooting year book photos :/

hiketheplanet
666 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2013

Mar 24, 2014 22:53 |  #15

fill the frame. get low, get high, get a different perspective... yes i am still talking about photography here :)

it means that a photo should have a clear subject. start looking at your own photos and critiquing them. look at other peoples photos and critique them. when you look, you should be able to say, "this is a photo of X." bystanders can be annoying in a photo. you must be patient. personally, i avoid taking the big ol honking dslr with me when i'm with the wife and kids out and about only because they're impatient. i go shoot by myself when i can, your mileage may vary :) don't be afraid to lay down on the ground to take a shot... or to climb a tree. i love uwa photography and find myself less than a foot off the ground... at 2am... because that's what i love! anyway, all i'm saying is that photography is a constant learning experience, and yes you gotta start somewhere. don't get discouraged. open yourself up to criticism, and look at photos. ask yourself why you like a particular photo. try to recreate something similar to a photo you find online or in a book. don't get caught up too much in equipment. know what focal lengths you use most. study photography, and study yourself. this is how we progress.

sponsored links

2,209 views & 0 likes for this thread
Beginner at Park
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.