Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 18 Jul 2007 (Wednesday) 17:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Red Ring Tupperware Party, Autumnal Equinoctal Edition (24)

BearLeeAlive
All butt cheeks and string.
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 23, 2014 14:21 as a reply to  @ post 16780035 |  #4186

thomascanty wrote in post #16779919 (external link)
Yep, that sounds about the right date. Back then we had another Las Vegas resident (Eric Darr) who hung out in this and the TPBM threads. If I remember correctly, he said McCarron Airport was shutdown for a couple days because of that storm. I remember some pictures he posted from around his house, too, though I don't know exactly where in the valley he lived at the time. He's in St. George, Utah now.

I remember that, because I was astonished it would get shut down with just a few inches of snow, until I was told that they do not have a single piece of snow removal equipment there. I think it was just for a day, but not certain.

-JIM-

sponsored links
Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,302 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 23, 2014 14:30 |  #4187

Y'all should'ave moved up here for the winter. Coldest and snowiest winter in 36 years. It started snowing in the middle of November and never melted. We usually get a few warm spells where the majority of the snow will melt away, well we never got them. All the snow that fell, stayed. For once, the crews were not plowing the roads down to the pavement, they left a layer of packed snow on the roads. It was smoother than the pavement. It was so cold that salt stopped working and they resorted to just sand.

Best kind of winter ever!

Melody

thomascanty
Bold. Pink.
Gone, but not forgotten.
38,071 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Mar 23, 2014 14:38 |  #4188

BearLeeAlive wrote in post #16780073 (external link)
I remember that, because I was astonished it would get shut down with just a few inches of snow, until I was told that they do not have a single piece of snow removal equipment there.

Or, as I remember his explanation - It takes a while for five guys with push-brooms to clear the snow off the runways. :lol:

BearLeeAlive wrote in post #16780073 (external link)
I think it was just for a day, but not certain.

Hmmm... Maybe I'm confusing it with our local conditions. I got to take two days off from work that week because the highways here were impassable.

My name is Lonnie, but I answer to Thomas too.
LDPhotography.net (external link) | Weekly Pioneer (external link) | Facebook (external link)
"Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts."

thomascanty
Bold. Pink.
Gone, but not forgotten.
38,071 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Mar 23, 2014 14:40 |  #4189

Jill-of-all-Trades wrote in post #16780093 (external link)
Best kind of winter ever!

*jealous*

My name is Lonnie, but I answer to Thomas too.
LDPhotography.net (external link) | Weekly Pioneer (external link) | Facebook (external link)
"Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts."

Woolburr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Mar 23, 2014 15:36 |  #4190

It could start snowing at 5pm on December 24th and dump a foot or so....then it could warm up on the 26th and melt away until next year.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,302 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 23, 2014 15:55 |  #4191

Nope. Start snowing by Dec 1st at the latest, keep snowing until Feb 28th. Or, temperature plummets mid November and allows all the ponds to freeze into some wonderful skating rinks, then it starts snowing. None of this melting nonsense.

Melody

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 23, 2014 18:11 |  #4192

thomascanty wrote in post #16780117 (external link)
Or, as I remember his explanation - It takes a while for five guys with push-brooms to clear the snow off the runways. :lol:

Hmmm... Maybe I'm confusing it with our local conditions. I got to take two days off from work that week because the highways here were impassable.

Good memory, but it was in the TPBM Chat thread -

eddarr wrote in post #6902994 (external link)
Cause 5 guys with push brooms is no way to remove snow from a runway.

Jill-of-all-Trades wrote in post #16780289 (external link)
Nope. Start snowing by Dec 1st at the latest, keep snowing until Feb 28th. Or, temperature plummets mid November and allows all the ponds to freeze into some wonderful skating rinks, then it starts snowing. None of this melting nonsense.

I concur!

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,959 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 23, 2014 18:38 |  #4193

Woolburr wrote in post #16780254 (external link)
It could start snowing at 5pm on December 24th and dump a foot or so....then it could warm up on the 26th and melt away until next year.

Yes, that i could live with.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,595 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2005

Mar 23, 2014 19:39 |  #4194

Today Heather and I walked all over down town Seattle... probably walked at least 10 miles. Just got back to the hotel from our 3 mile round trip walk to Glazer's Camera store. Bought a B&W 10 stop ND filter and black rapid strap. LOVE the strap.... should have replaced the OEM strap a long time ago. Instantly sold on the black rapid. I like trying in person so I get something I like and we have no camera stores close to Pendleton anymore.

Sevas Tra

*sigh*
Hardware Master (or something like that)
25,047 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 23, 2014 20:54 |  #4195

Shot motocross for the first time today. My cousin was racing so I decided to go out. I really need to get some good ND's it was way too bright out today since the race was from 1:30-3:30 so I ended up using some cheap CPL and ND I got free with my Sigma 35mm.

Loads of fun though, I want to get back out there. They certainly move fast, and my panning needs a little work. But anyways, here are a few speed edits.

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3727/13369585185_59f8abe3cb_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/-sigh/13369585185/  (external link)
5B6B6192.jpg (external link) by *sigh* (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2805/13369594585_ecf7efb355_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/-sigh/13369594585/  (external link)
IMG_6205.jpg (external link) by *sigh* (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

5B6B6240.jpg (external link) by *sigh* (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7273/13369769533_c1e4669880_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/-sigh/13369769533/  (external link)
IMG_6438.jpg (external link) by *sigh* (external link), on Flickr

There are a few more here.
http://www.flickr.com …h/sets/72157642​821474165/ (external link)

I need to take a closer look at this Surface's monitor and it's colors. It stills needs some tweaking.

-Nick | Gear | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

Woolburr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 23, 2014 21:25 |  #4196

Good looking shots Nick.

You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Woolburr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 23, 2014 21:29 |  #4197

Traci_Ann wrote in post #16780820 (external link)
Today Heather and I walked all over down town Seattle... probably walked at least 10 miles. Just got back to the hotel from our 3 mile round trip walk to Glazer's Camera store. Bought a B&W 10 stop ND filter and black rapid strap. LOVE the strap.... should have replaced the OEM strap a long time ago. Instantly sold on the black rapid. I like trying in person so I get something I like and we have no camera stores close to Pendleton anymore.

Glazer's was okay then?

*sigh*
Hardware Master (or something like that)
25,047 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 23, 2014 21:30 |  #4198

Thanks, Dan! First time I've shot anything other than family gatherings in awhile. I have a lot of respect for photogs who shoot those types of events on a regular basis. You're at the will of the weather and those guys are shot quick, it's hard to lock on focus.

-Nick | Gear | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,595 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2005

Mar 23, 2014 22:25 |  #4199

Woolburr wrote in post #16781039 (external link)
Glazer's was okay then?

Better than Ok... They were excellent. Very friendly and helpful, even opened packages to see if the items would work for me.

Sevas Tra

Woolburr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 23, 2014 23:03 |  #4200

*sigh* wrote in post #16781041 (external link)
Thanks, Dan! First time I've shot anything other than family gatherings in awhile. I have a lot of respect for photogs who shoot those types of events on a regular basis. You're at the will of the weather and those guys are shot quick, it's hard to lock on focus.

Motocross is tough....Indoor motocross is slightly easier, as you have consistent lighting.

sponsored links

3,895,131 views & 3,266 likes for this thread
Red Ring Tupperware Party, Autumnal Equinoctal Edition (24)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.