Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 18 Mar 2014 (Tuesday) 14:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any of you use only primes for weddings?

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 20, 2014 20:18 |  #61

FWIW as far as looking cool goes... my new 4 camera harness setup for weddings (2 zooms and 2 primes mainly) recently had me being compared to Neo from the Matrix when he walked into the lobby with Trinity ready to kick some Agent ass. Can't really get much cooler than that :D

Peter

sponsored links
mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,628 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 20, 2014 21:58 |  #62

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16773891 (external link)
And here I was thinking it was about the end result... the pictures... All the above are just tools to get from A (seeing a picture) to B (capturing/creating that picture).

I wholeheartedly agree with you, but will play devil's advocate and point out that your ability to translate what you see in your mind, and what others see on an image, is often highly dependent on the equipment you have available. If this weren't the case, we'd all be shooting with our smartphones.

i.e., if you have a busy background, and are stuck with a slow zoom, then your ability to visually separate your subject from the background the way you do mentally when you interpret the scene is hindered.

or if the 'story' of the scene in your mind is highly driven by the interplay between your subject and environment, and you're stuck with a longish prime that compresses the background elements, your ability to translate your vision is hindered there as well.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,692 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 20, 2014 22:20 |  #63

And then for some it's not missing shots but seeing different shots. Understanding your vision and what works best for that is key no matter what that is. Some of the really great wedding photographers of all time shot with Blads and Leica Ms. Some still do. Theres a big world outside POTN and DSLRs and a lot of photographers doing amazing work with all kinds of different equipment. Again it should be about finding what works for you and really learning how to use that. Proof and what counts is always and only in the work.

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,072 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 20, 2014 23:01 |  #64

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16773919 (external link)
FWIW as far as looking cool goes... my new 4 camera harness setup for weddings (2 zooms and 2 primes mainly) recently had me being compared to Neo from the Matrix when he walked into the lobby with Trinity ready to kick some Agent ass. Can't really get much cooler than that :D

Picture or it did not happen Peter :}

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 20, 2014 23:17 |  #65

Tigerkn wrote in post #16774225 (external link)
Picture or it did not happen Peter :}

Kevin just combine this

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

With a blackrapid double R setup with 2 5D MKIII's and you get an idea of what I look like

Peter

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,072 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 20, 2014 23:34 |  #66

Can I see them on Neo with 4 bodies please :)

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 21, 2014 15:48 |  #67

Wow this sure went downhill fast. LOL

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 22, 2014 13:27 |  #68

Last year I shot a wedding with only the 40mm pancake. Admittedly, I wasn't the hired photographer and I definitely missed a few shots, but I didn't find the experience as limiting as expected. The key to using primes in a fast-paced event setting is to have multiple camera bodies, but most people seem to recommend 2+ DSLRs for weddings anyway, regardless of lens choice. Of course a zoom is going to offer more flexibility in terms of focal length - to what degree this is desirable is debatable. In theory, the photographer will be able to instinctively "see" what combination of focal length and camera position is ideal, but with a zoom I often find myself neglecting the camera position and simply zooming to obtain the "ideal" framing, often at the expense of ideal perspective.

Cost is another important issue. A 2-zoom setup with f/2.8 aperture would run me over $2000 on a crop camera. Or, for $1000, I could cover most of the bases with a 28mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8. Another possible option is "prime wide, zoom long." The wider focal lengths are usually easier to "foot-zoom" than long lenses, and thus one may want to use a selection of wide-normal primes along with a telezoom. Of course, all depends on the situation and skills of the photographer.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 24, 2014 01:18 |  #69

As much as I love primes, I it seems crazy to me to limit yourself to ONLY primes for paid weddings.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 24, 2014 10:43 |  #70

jefzor wrote in post #16781465 (external link)
As much as I love primes, I it seems crazy to me to limit yourself to ONLY primes for paid weddings.

Don't think of it as limiting. Every lens has things it does well and things it does poorly. Focus on the things it does well.

http://www.chrismanstu​dios.com/ (external link)

How do you think that company is 'limited' by just using primes. A lot of their exif is intact.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 24, 2014 17:33 |  #71

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16782268 (external link)
Don't think of it as limiting. Every lens has things it does well and things it does poorly. Focus on the things it does well.

http://www.chrismanstu​dios.com/ (external link)

How do you think that company is 'limited' by just using primes. A lot of their exif is intact.

I do see it as limiting. Not saying Ben doesn't do a great job, but the thought that goes through my mind is... "Imagine what he could do if he used those skills at 16mm? Or 200mm?" It would be a SUPERSET of what he currently delivers. Not worse. It could only be bigger and better. He's got the skills. He's got the eye. Adding unlimited focal lengths to his arsenal is not going to ruin his photography.

THAT is why I find it to be ridiculous. Why oh why does he shoot only at two focal lengths?

-Lloyd
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

airfrogusmc
36,692 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 24, 2014 17:40 |  #72

It's about seeing at certain F/Ls and some can do it well and others have other ways of working but don't think it isn't working for him or others just because it's outside your experience. The best by far wedding photographer I ever knew shot with tow Leica M 3s. A 35mm lens on one and a 50 mm lens on the other and he was doing amazing photojournalist type work in the Monte Zucker days.

So find what works for you and use it but don't try and second guess what works for others just like others shouldn't do that to you. The work is what matters.

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 24, 2014 17:59 |  #73

I'm sure Ben has a set of zooms. I don't use them at every wedding, but I certainly bring two zooms just in case I want/need them.

Why do you only shoot at such slow apertures of 2.8 and worse? Don't you find that limiting?

Personally, I wouldn't use 16mm for much. I don't like the distortion.

So find what works for you and use it but don't try and second guess what works for others just like others shouldn't do that to you. The work is what matters.

This exactly.

I've been shooting mainly primes for several years. I haven't found it limiting at all.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 24, 2014 18:22 |  #74

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16783420 (external link)
I'm sure Ben has a set of zooms. I don't use them at every wedding, but I certainly bring two zooms just in case I want/need them.

Why do you only shoot at such slow apertures of 2.8 and worse? Don't you find that limiting?

Personally, I wouldn't use 16mm for much. I don't like the distortion.

This exactly.

I've been shooting mainly primes for several years. I haven't found it limiting at all.

I don't only shoot at 2.8 and "worse" (which is an extremely biased and narrow minded way of describing it), in fact I shoot at 1.8 and wider most of the day.

I said, his work is great. I agree to that.

I just think with his skill and vision, he could blow the doors off, say, a 14mm lens. You say why should he, but I say, why not? With someone at that level of experience, it would just be a very interesting exercise to observe.

I'm not making a statement of how his art is lacking! Don't take the offensive. No wonder this thread got so derailed. I just think, shooting a bit outside of his regular routine would be inspirational. Maybe even mind blowing. But as long as one is limiting what they shoot with, we'll never know. Man, I would LOVE to get a wedding shot at 1800mm, or with that 8mm Nikon fisheye. Why the hell not?

I'm just damn curious. That is all. Haven't you ever asked yourself, "I wonder what would happen if..." ??

-Lloyd

airfrogusmc
36,692 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 24, 2014 18:34 |  #75

And a prime only user might wonder what a photographer that isn't a prime only might be able to do if he was prime only.

sponsored links

16,435 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any of you use only primes for weddings?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.