Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 22 Mar 2014 (Saturday) 16:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Saturday Afternoon

sancho1983
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 22, 2014 16:56 |  #1

Got my 6d last week. Would love any feedback on any of these. Thanks.

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3738/13338194735_cdc00487a2_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/thesancho/1333​8194735/  (external link)
Saturday 1 (external link) by the sancho (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7036/13338589314_6cecb2a69b_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/thesancho/1333​8589314/  (external link)
Saturday 2 (external link) by the sancho (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3738/13338200135_203f2f3a1e_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/thesancho/1333​8200135/  (external link)
Saturday 3 (external link) by the sancho (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7436/13338348153_06db95405a_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/thesancho/1333​8348153/  (external link)
Saturday 4 (external link) by the sancho (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3759/13338204255_b0f857abe8_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/thesancho/1333​8204255/  (external link)
Saturday 5 (external link) by the sancho (external link), on Flickr

Instagram (external link)
www.bgsweddings.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links
kathfern
541 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 22, 2014 20:23 |  #2

Lovely!

Kathy - 5D III : 60D : 24 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 24-105L : 100 2.8 USM Macro : 40 2.8 : 430EXii
Web (external link)

Facebook (external link)

sancho1983
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 23, 2014 14:27 |  #3

kathfern wrote in post #16778337 (external link)
Lovely!

Thank you :)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 24, 2014 00:33 |  #4

Yes nice !

Just to say something,
2 the foot-leg in the bokeh, make me feel a strange position
4 nice shallow DOF but the second eye is a bit in the bokeh

Over all very nice pictures

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 24, 2014 02:45 |  #5

I utterly loathe images of peoples' children and pets, but these are really good.

I still don't like them, but that's my problem. For the most part these are technically well done, nicely lit and well-composed, and are extremely flattering to the child. Great job.

I will add that, by comparison, I think the color images are more effective. There's an upbeat sort of liveliness to this kid, which I think is well-served by the warm colors. The black and white images are sort of lacking that, I think. They're still good, I just think they look worse when presented right next to the color images.

Also, when looking at the two black and white images, I notice that the first seems to have a little bit of a warmer tone than the second. I'm also thinking I see a little bit of a green cast (maybe it's just my monitor, but that seems a little weird to me), but I think that warm is the way to go. The second black and white image almost seems a little bluish to me (though again, maybe that';s just my monitor and maybe it's due to comparing it to the other photographs). But in any case, the second black and white image here seems to be the coldest of the bunch. And if you're gonna go black and white, I think the image could stand to be warmed up a little bit.

The feet are my least favorite images here. I see what you're going for, but I just don't think that image has the same impact. With the other images, there's just more "pop". The liveliness of the kid just jumps out, it's very obvious. The feet are a little bit more subtle. They don't really work in the same way as the others. They don't really work so much as a standard portrait of the child, because you can't tell whose feet they are. You need more information: information which I'm sure is available to you as a parent, but is lost to others. To me, they could be anyone's feet. With that in mind, I'd appreciate #5 more if it was shot in more of a "fine art" way. Like, sculpting the feet with light to emphasize the contours in them, or something like that. That, or just accept that critics like me are outsiders, that we don't "get it", and that this image is for a select group (namely, the kid's parents and family).

But long story short, from my perspeective as an outsider:

1) Great images.

2) Color works better than black and white.

3) If you're gonna go b&w, warm tone works better than cold tone.

4) Faces work better than feet.

sancho1983
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 24, 2014 03:57 |  #6

Clean Gene wrote in post #16781550 (external link)
I utterly loathe images of peoples' children and pets, but these are really good.

I still don't like them, but that's my problem. For the most part these are technically well done, nicely lit and well-composed, and are extremely flattering to the child. Great job.

I will add that, by comparison, I think the color images are more effective. There's an upbeat sort of liveliness to this kid, which I think is well-served by the warm colors. The black and white images are sort of lacking that, I think. They're still good, I just think they look worse when presented right next to the color images.

Also, when looking at the two black and white images, I notice that the first seems to have a little bit of a warmer tone than the second. I'm also thinking I see a little bit of a green cast (maybe it's just my monitor, but that seems a little weird to me), but I think that warm is the way to go. The second black and white image almost seems a little bluish to me (though again, maybe that';s just my monitor and maybe it's due to comparing it to the other photographs). But in any case, the second black and white image here seems to be the coldest of the bunch. And if you're gonna go black and white, I think the image could stand to be warmed up a little bit.

The feet are my least favorite images here. I see what you're going for, but I just don't think that image has the same impact. With the other images, there's just more "pop". The liveliness of the kid just jumps out, it's very obvious. The feet are a little bit more subtle. They don't really work in the same way as the others. They don't really work so much as a standard portrait of the child, because you can't tell whose feet they are. You need more information: information which I'm sure is available to you as a parent, but is lost to others. To me, they could be anyone's feet. With that in mind, I'd appreciate #5 more if it was shot in more of a "fine art" way. Like, sculpting the feet with light to emphasize the contours in them, or something like that. That, or just accept that critics like me are outsiders, that we don't "get it", and that this image is for a select group (namely, the kid's parents and family).

But long story short, from my perspeective as an outsider:

1) Great images.

2) Color works better than black and white.

3) If you're gonna go b&w, warm tone works better than cold tone.

4) Faces work better than feet.

Thanks.

I definitely think it's my monitor! Looking at them on my work laptop the second b+w definitely does have a blue tint to it. The room I was in had lovely light, but all of the walls were duck egg blue which was casting quite a few colour issues.

Without using a grey card I really struggle to get the white balance perfect and it's definitely something I need to work on.

Thanks again though, although these are pictures of my daughter I am trying to practise composition, light and processing so I can do shots of other peoples' children too.

I'm pleased that someone who doesn't like pictures like this think they're ok!

JasonMK
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 24, 2014 05:24 |  #7

I like #2. The foot in the back looks uncomfortable, but I have three kids so say no more.

-JasonMK on Flickr (external link)
1Ds Mark III | 650D | EF 17~40mm 4L | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX III | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR CC

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 24, 2014 16:53 |  #8

3 immediately jumped out at me as special. Normally I prefer colour, but this is lovely.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

Rain ­ Lily
48 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 25, 2014 09:10 |  #9

Nice and sharp where it matters most. Beautiful.

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 28, 2014 10:52 |  #10

Very good, I can't really add any criticism!

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

sponsored links

1,511 views & 0 likes for this thread
Saturday Afternoon
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.