Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 23 Mar 2014 (Sunday) 11:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lighthouse in the Bahamas...C&C before print

Russo09
735 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 23, 2014 11:29 |  #1

Hey guys,

I'm looking to print this shot I took last week in the Bahamas with my 6D and 135L and was just looking for some C&C first. Anything you guys would change or do differently? I don't get offended by suggestions :D

Have at it!

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/13334013283_875e3ef43a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/nickrusso09/13​334013283/  (external link)
_MG_0629-Edit-Edit.jpg (external link) by Nickrusso09 (external link), on Flickr

Obviously the watermark will not be printed ;)

-Nick

-Nick
Canon 5D Mark 3 | Sigma 85mm 1.4 | Canon 17-40mm f2L

sponsored links
Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 23, 2014 12:03 |  #2

A decent image but, hang on, you've made the fatal mistake of saying what you shot it with so wait awhile and the gearheads will pile in to say you should have used something else :)

I can't really fault your picture other than to say it contains large areas containing no interest.

David

PhotosGuy
75,915 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 23, 2014 21:22 |  #3

Woodworker wrote in post #16779712 (external link)
I can't really fault your picture other than to say it contains large areas containing no interest.

I agree. It needs a seagull, boat, or something at the left side.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

BigAlz1
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2014 21:46 |  #4

Love the openness, it's tranquil.
I wouldn't call the light house the subject. Very relaxing, I'm very fond of it. A more panoramic crop would bee more my personal flavor, but it's the vastness of it that I find soothing too..

Good job.

Eos 7D, 40D w/70-200L 2.8 IS, 50mm 1.4, Nifty Fifty II, 100MM 2.8 Macro, 18-135mm IS , Sigma 30mm 1.4 , Sigma 18-35 1.8 ART 580ex II

theantiquetiger
506 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 23, 2014 22:25 |  #5

I disagree with the first two replies. I think it works perfectly. The openness, deep blues, and minimalism of the lighthouse vs the grand opening.

I sure you will not, but don't print it with that giant watermark.

---------------
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/theantiquetiger​/ (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 23, 2014 23:39 |  #6

Fake light rays, purple-ish in the sky, keep it simple !

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

chocolatekara
286 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 24, 2014 00:14 |  #7

I'd love to see how it looks with the horizon centered! Beautiful colours!

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 24, 2014 02:58 |  #8

chocolatekara wrote in post #16781390 (external link)
I'd love to see how it looks with the horizon centered! Beautiful colours!

The horizon was gonna be one of my comments. I generally don't get too nitpicky about horizons, but small mistakes are especially evident in images like these where the horizon is so prominent.

Someone also mentioned the purple tone in the sky. I tend to agree with that comment as well. It's not too bad, and that purple tone may actually have been "how it really looked", but I think it looks a little bit weird here. IMO it looks just a tiny bit off. This doesn't seem to be the kind of image that requires strict adherence to "reality", so I'd recommend getting rid of that purple color cast in the sky. But again, that's a pretty minor complaint.

Also, make sure to print big. This is just speculation on my part, but I doubt that an 8.5"x11" print is gonna do this image justice. This image looks like it's begging to be printed big.

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 24, 2014 05:09 |  #9

Clean Gene wrote in post #16781561 (external link)
Also, make sure to print big. This is just speculation on my part, but I doubt that an 8.5"x11" print is gonna do this image justice. This image looks like it's begging to be printed big.

That is a very good point and one I hadn't considered :)

David

JasonMK
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 24, 2014 05:17 |  #10

I like the photo as is, but I seemed pulled to wanting the lighthouse in the lower right third showing more sky up above.

-JasonMK on Flickr (external link)
1Ds Mark III | 650D | EF 17~40mm 4L | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX III | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR CC

jshendel
94 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 24, 2014 12:52 |  #11

it may be worth trying a long crop, 2x1 or 3x1

www.shendelmanphotogra​phy.com (external link) Ankeny and Des Moines Portrait Photographer
www.facebook.com/shend​elmanphotography (external link)

MisterMiagi72
66 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 24, 2014 15:41 |  #12

Or maybe a great white jumping out of the water eating a helicopter. I kind of like the simplicity of the picture.

Do it now! Travel Photography (external link)

Russo09
THREAD ­ STARTER
735 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 24, 2014 19:29 |  #13

Thanks for the comments guys.

I kept the horizon where it was because it lined up with the upper third of the picture, and for me, the colors and openness of the water was what I wanted to focus on more than the sky. I have been playing around with it and trying it as more of a panoramic crop too though. Very undecided in this one haha

The light beams in the sky are not faked, and the coloring was barely altered, but I will be playing around with this as well to see which tones tend to look best.

I'm looking at printing this possibly as a 20x30 or if I go panoramic at maybe a 12x36. Also not sure if I want it on paper, canvas, or possibly even metal. I've been wanting to try canvas, but I feel like the colors wouldn't be captured as well as on the other mediums.

-Nick
Canon 5D Mark 3 | Sigma 85mm 1.4 | Canon 17-40mm f2L

planet5D
251 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 26, 2014 10:07 |  #14

Nice image Russ

never even thought that the light beams or the colors were fake... so you're doing fine.

It is too bad that you weren't about a foot or so taller putting a tiny bit more space between the top of the lighthouse and the horizon line. But that's just being overly wishful on my part :)

Light L16: http://lightRumors.co
the premier community for Light L16 owners

sponsored links

2,394 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lighthouse in the Bahamas...C&C before print
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.