Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 23 Feb 2014 (Sunday) 14:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Extension tubes pricing

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 24, 2014 23:11 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

I wish I knew. A member of POTN mentions that problem in his book Secrets of Bird Photography (external link) (see last paragraph on that page), but he failed (or did not want) to mention the offenders. I'd suspect anything cheaply priced.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links
cleewag
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 25, 2014 06:09 |  #17

Well, I want to thank each and every one who has taken their valuable time to respond to this thread.

I have decided to go with Fotodiox Pro rings. http://www.fotodioxpro​.com …be-kit-for-canon-eos.html (external link).

I will post my review here after I've used them for a few sessions.

snake0ape
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 24, 2014 01:47 |  #18

cleewag wrote in post #16711215 (external link)
I have stumbled across a third-party 3 ring set on fleaBay for a third of what the exact same thing in Kenko costs, and would like some(any) input about their quality.

If I may, here is the link for them:
http://www.ebay.com …Tubes&hash=item​3a8173cef1 (external link)

As can be seen in the listing photos, they have metal mount plates and decent looking electrical connections just like the Kenko ones. Why would anybody pay $190 for Kenko, when those are available for $61??

Any and all thoughts will be greatly appreciated...

Yeah, I bought a similar 60 buck tubes. It had the metal reinforcements just like kenko. Well, I mounted my helios 40 (85mm f1.5) to it. I took a photo, flipped the camera to look at the led screen. And in an instance the lens detached from the extension tube. Luckily I caught the lens before it hit the ground.
Apparently the weight of the lens stripped the four screws off the plastic tubes. So the lens, metal mount and screws broke off the remaining plastic component of the extension tube. The plastic screw mounts on this extension is weak.

So I went ahead and bought the kenko last week. The plastic screw mounts look thicker and a bit stronger, but I'm not so sure it has enough to hold a heavy lens. Does anybody know if it can hold a 1kg lens. I know the ebay one I had, did not.

5Diii | 50D | 8-15L 4| 16-35L 2.8 II| 24-70L 2.8 II | 70-200L 2.8 IS II |Tamy 150-600 | Σ35Art 1.4 | 40 2.8 | Σ50Art 1.4 | 85L 1.2 II | 100 2.8 Macro | Helios 44-3 58mm f2.0 |Helios 40-1 85mm f1.5 | 1.4x & 2x teleconverters

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 24, 2014 02:11 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

snake0ape wrote in post #16781508 (external link)
[...] Does anybody know if it can hold a 1kg lens. I know the ebay one I had, did not.

I'm interested in an answer to that question too. I need to purchase a set of extension tubes ASAP and I have my eyes on the Kenko. I consider Kenko a reliable brand, but I'm kinda on the fence regarding this. Other than Canon, I dunno what other good options are there. Most of my lenses are in the 'rather heavy' category.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,235 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 24, 2014 06:06 |  #20

Yeah, I bought a similar 60 buck tubes. It had the metal reinforcements just like kenko. Well, I mounted my helios 40 (85mm f1.5) to it. I took a photo, flipped the camera to look at the led screen. And in an instance the lens detached from the extension tube. Luckily I caught the lens before it hit the ground.
Apparently the weight of the lens stripped the four screws off the plastic tubes. So the lens, metal mount and screws broke off the remaining plastic component of the extension tube. The plastic screw mounts on this extension is weak.

So I went ahead and bought the kenko last week. The plastic screw mounts look thicker and a bit stronger, but I'm not so sure it has enough to hold a heavy lens. Does anybody know if it can hold a 1kg lens. I know the ebay one I had, did not.

I am surprised to hear the Kenko tubes are also plastic. Have they always been plastic or is this something new? Are the Canon tubes plastic or metal?

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 24, 2014 08:28 |  #21

As far as I know, they have always been like the Canon tubes..all metal. I just checked the B&H site, the kenko tubes they sell have a metal barrel and mount.

Jim
Gear List

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,517 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 24, 2014 10:18 |  #22

Was the camera hung downward swinging from its strap with the lens (on extension tube) dangling in the wind like a pendulum, when this Helios mount failure occurred?

You do realize that the proper way in which to hold a lens, for taking a shot, is to use your left hand UNDER the lens at the center of gravity of the camera+lens, while the right hand grips the camera?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 24, 2014 14:19 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

Wilt, still such a thing shouldn't have happened; I carry my camera with it hanging from the neck strap slung over my shoulder and with the lens pointing down (and bouncing left and right even) all the time and had never had a 'detachment happenstance'. (I don't have any tubes or teleconverters yet, hence my concern about the performance of such things.) Now I can see what that bloke meant with some elcheapo tubes spontaneously detaching. Some stuff is just junk.

snake0ape
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 24, 2014 17:39 |  #24

Wilt wrote in post #16782185 (external link)
Was the camera hung downward swinging from its strap with the lens (on extension tube) dangling in the wind like a pendulum, when this Helios mount failure occurred?

You do realize that the proper way in which to hold a lens, for taking a shot, is to use your left hand UNDER the lens at the center of gravity of the camera+lens, while the right hand grips the camera?!

I had the camera in my hand. Snapped a shot and then gently slow-turned the camera down so I can see the LCD screen on the back of the camera. Luckily I had my left hand near by. Saw the lens drop off so I caught the lens.
The problem is that the metal screws is fastened to a plastic body. the screws stripped off the plastic body. Yes I probably did let go of the lens with my left hand when I turned the body down to view the camera's lcd screen.
I use a hand strap only. I do not use a neck strap.

5Diii | 50D | 8-15L 4| 16-35L 2.8 II| 24-70L 2.8 II | 70-200L 2.8 IS II |Tamy 150-600 | Σ35Art 1.4 | 40 2.8 | Σ50Art 1.4 | 85L 1.2 II | 100 2.8 Macro | Helios 44-3 58mm f2.0 |Helios 40-1 85mm f1.5 | 1.4x & 2x teleconverters

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,663 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 25, 2014 16:40 |  #25

We should have a National Public Service Ad Campaign, called "Support Your Lens!"

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,517 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 25, 2014 16:59 |  #26

Alveric wrote in post #16782838 (external link)
Wilt, still such a thing shouldn't have happened; I carry my camera with it hanging from the neck strap slung over my shoulder and with the lens pointing down (and bouncing left and right even) all the time and had never had a 'detachment happenstance'.

The purpose of my question was not to assign or alleviate blame, but merely to more fully understand the circumstances of the failure, and the typical user practices during shooting.

If someone chronically held the long lens in shooting position without support, but gripped by the body with both hands, continuous stress on the mount with camera and lens in shooting position might have stressed the threads of the hole enlarging them eccentrically enough than the screws pulled out when the lens was hanging downward.

snake0ape did reply, "Yes I probably did let go of the lens with my left hand when I turned the body down to view the camera's lcd screen." So it sounds as if he normally did support the lens while shooting, but not during the transitional moment of turning the camera to view the LCD. So chronic unsupported shooting postion is likely not the causative agent to this failure.

However, in response to the query, "Why would anybody pay $190 for Kenko?", snake0ape also had said he bought one of the composite tubes with metal mount, " 60 buck tubes. It had the metal reinforcements just like kenko". And then he related his own experience with tube failure, thereby justifying $190 rather than $50. The fact that he ordinarily did not subject the tube to extraordinary stress seems to strengthen the argument even more strongly for spending more money, not less.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

2,819 views & 0 likes for this thread
Extension tubes pricing
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.