Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Mar 2014 (Monday) 15:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The EOS Utility is spawning an EOS UPnP application that bomb my network (70D only)

fogboundturtle
735 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 24, 2014 15:58 |  #1

I just noticed on Win 8.1, the latest EOS utility is spawning an EOS UPnP utlility for the 70D. I guess it is to find the camera remotely if wi-fi is enable. I notice that I was having severe internet browsing issue after I connect my 70D. Turns out that little bugger was bombing my network and rendering my wireless router almost unusable. It took me a while to figure this out. I noticed that one I disconnected the ethernet cable from my pc that my internet was restored to a workable state. Once I knew it was my pc, I look at the process in memory and I found the culprit.

I am wondering if anyone has experience this issue before, if so, at least you know how to resolve it now.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Tamron 70-200 F2.8 DI VC USD, Sony A7r, Sony FE 55mm F1.8

sponsored links
StillCrazy
612 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 24, 2014 16:15 |  #2

Send a bug report, so they can fix the issue.

StillCrazy - after all these years.
Canon T3i, Sigma 18-200, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 70-300, Rokinon 14, Yongnuo YN 565 EX
My flickr (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,973 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 24, 2014 20:25 |  #3

The latest version 2.14.0 came out about 10 days ago. Are you using it? I'm not saying that will fix your issue, just that Canon will ask if you are using the latest.

fogboundturtle
THREAD ­ STARTER
735 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 25, 2014 11:48 |  #4

John from PA wrote in post #16783760 (external link)
The latest version 2.14.0 came out about 10 days ago. Are you using it? I'm not saying that will fix your issue, just that Canon will ask if you are using the latest.

I am using the latest.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Tamron 70-200 F2.8 DI VC USD, Sony A7r, Sony FE 55mm F1.8

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Mar 25, 2014 14:21 as a reply to  @ fogboundturtle's post |  #5

I recently updated to 2.14 and I have noticed that I now have "EOS Utility" and "EOS Utility 2", two separate programs. Is this what you are talking about?

I haven't tried using either one yet, but just assumed that the former was the old version and the latter was the new version. I realize that usually software updates don't work that way, but the instructions that are available with the update mentioned something about your needing to keep the old version if you still wanted to use the utility with certain older cameras, or some such thing.

Mark

mld321
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 25, 2014 16:25 |  #6

fogboundturtle, I have the exact same problem! I thought my wifi router was hosed. All my connected devices experienced a slowdown. I then noticed when my laptop was shut down, my wifi was back to normal. This helped me narrow it down to something on my laptop. I eventually tracked it down to the latest EOS Utility. Once I shut down the utility, everything is back to normal. The utility is useless anyways since it never is able to connect to the camera anyways since it's as you say it "bombing the network" :/

Similar setup as yours. 70D, Windows 8.1 64bit. I think for now I will go to the previous version of the utility as it didn't have the issue.

EDIT: I've opened a ticket for a bug with Canon Canada via email support. Hopefully there's a fix or if not there will be one soon. I'd encourage those that have the same issue to open a ticket as well.

mld321
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Apr 01, 2014 12:12 |  #7

Well, my first support experience with Canon (Canada) was not good. I basically got a thank you for bringing the problem up to their attention and no further troubleshooting. No offer of a fix or workaround.

I did get a survey asking me about the support experience. :/ I let them know I wasn't impressed... Is this typical Canon support?

Does anyone know if Canon is looking into this and are fully aware of the issue?

Thanks!
-Marc

sponsored links

1,749 views & 0 likes for this thread
The EOS Utility is spawning an EOS UPnP application that bomb my network (70D only)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.