Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Mar 2014 (Monday) 10:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Event photography: Declining personal photo requests

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,093 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 24, 2014 22:49 |  #16

banquetbear wrote in post #16784049 (external link)
The position held by other photographers wasn't "you couldn't do anything else with our time".

That was precisely the position held by some photographers, notably the one who basically accused me of being an unethical person just for examining the idea and asking questions. If he pays someone to cover an event for three hours, that person had better not take other pictures during those hours. It's "double dipping" (ugh!), and he'll be "blackballed" (eek!). Don't you remember? (Granted, I have more reason to remember, given that I was the one attacked. I tend to remember such incidents.)

In the other thread you suggested it would be appropriate to market images to people other than your client.

I was talking about a possible situation in which you're at an event and someone other than your client asks you for photos, which may be additional ones besides what your original assignment calls for. I'm bringing up this past discussion because that situation is similar to what the OP described, and no one so far has mentioned that agreeing on the spot to take shots for someone attending an event is frowned on by some hired photographers and those who hire them.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links
sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 25, 2014 03:44 |  #17

Your client should have an understanding that turning down every personal smartphone request will irritate some of their customers as rude. For my clients, I don't have any issues with taking the occasional smartphone photos. I don't encourage it, but always rejecting it will make both the photographer and event producer seem rude. You should have a discussion with your client such as "what should I do when your guests want smartphone pics?"

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

CAPhotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 25, 2014 10:36 as a reply to  @ post 16783530 |  #18

All interesting replies... My original post was intended as, "What do you say?" I was hoping to see unique responses, maybe even clever or new.

Contracts, clients and personalities vary. There might be a hundred different categories of events, large and small. So, no real point in a general debate of "should you or shouldn't you?". Each situation is different and a judgment call. Smartphones are everywhere. They get in the way. So, what have you come up with to say?

CAPhotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 25, 2014 11:06 |  #19

Recently, my common turn down is boring: sorry, I can't right now. They may still plead it will only take a second, so not wholly effective. "I'm not allowed" works, but isn't always true or they see me taking someone else's pic later.

The one that baffles me is when couples ask me to take their photo with my camera at a large event, maybe thousands of people. Then they just walk away without asking who I'm shooting for or where they might see the photo.

amber ­ j2010
208 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 09, 2014 12:00 |  #20

Wow, I've never had this issue, but never done events other than weddings. Personally, I would be offended, it just seems so rude to me. But then I grew up in a family where it was a crime to ask a favor of someone, especially a stranger. Maybe 'Sorry, I'm on the clock here." would convey the message that you are busy doing the job you were contracted for?

www.amberjonesportrait​ure.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om …jonesportraitur​ejonesboro (external link)
https://plus.google.co​m …814628591092927​0196/posts (external link)

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 09, 2014 12:03 |  #21

hairy_moth wrote in post #16782200 (external link)
I did this recently, but I felt like a real jerk afterwards:
A person asked me to take a photo of them with their i-phone. I told them "I've never used one before but that I'd be happy to try." That was a lie, I have one. When I was lining up the picture, I discreetly flipped the switch to use the front side camera and then gave them a picture of me. As I handed them the phone, I said "I don't think it worked right, but it is a beautiful picture!"

Thats sort of my SOP for anyone asking me to take a pic of them with their camera. They almost always take a few seconds to get ready so I snap a quick selfie without telling them. I let them figure it out later.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 09, 2014 15:10 |  #22

hairy_moth wrote in post #16782200 (external link)
I did this recently, but I felt like a real jerk afterwards:
A person asked me to take a photo of them with their i-phone. I told them "I've never used one before but that I'd be happy to try." That was a lie, I have one. When I was lining up the picture, I discreetly flipped the switch to use the front side camera and then gave them a picture of me. As I handed them the phone, I said "I don't think it worked right, but it is a beautiful picture!"

LOL! :lol:

That's a great story!

Bryan

My Gear List

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 10, 2014 05:30 |  #23

This really seems like a no-brianer! You have two options- take a photo for them.. or don't. If you have time and want to help, then do it. If you are not interested, it's as simple as saying "I can't but he/she might" and pointing to the next closest person. you really don't have to have a big contract/client/liabil​ity type of story to explain your decline of their request because if you have time to say that much, you had time to take it in the first place.

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

ceegee
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 10, 2014 08:34 |  #24

I agree it's probably not the type of situation in which to give a "smart" answer, which will only reflect badly on you. Either you can take the pic, or you can't/don't want to. So the answer would be "sure, give me your phone" or "sorry, I can't/have been asked not to/don't have time, maybe you can ask someone else". No explanations needed. I've photographed a few outdoor sports trials, and people have only ever approached me for personal photos during breaks between events. I've usually smiled and taken the shot for them. Nobody has ever come and tapped me on the shoulder when I've been looking through the viewfinder or tracking the action. If they had, I'd have said "sorry, I'm busy right now, can you come back at the end of the class".

Gear: Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 70-300L, Canon 60 macro f/2.8, Speedlite 580 EXII, 2x AB800

Website (external link)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 10, 2014 11:09 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

CAPhotog wrote in post #16784969 (external link)
The one that baffles me is when couples ask me to take their photo with my camera at a large event, maybe thousands of people. Then they just walk away without asking who I'm shooting for or where they might see the photo.

I'm not a pro wedding photographer but do attend and bring my camera to weddings I'm invited to. People constantly ask me to take their pic...entire family groups, couples, etc. They obviously believe I'm part of the official staff and my pics will end up in an album or on FB. Like you, they never ask about where the photos will show up. Just, "Hey, take a pic of us"!

Dave

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 10, 2014 17:00 |  #26

Can't even see why this is an issue. It take 5 maybe 10 seconds to take a picture with an IPhone or whatever. You take the pict..smile and walk away. In most cases these are guests of people holding the event. Saying no is just rude.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 10, 2014 17:29 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

gonzogolf wrote in post #16782330 (external link)
My point is if you go in and make it about you, and what you will and will not do, you are setting a bad tone which will likely project. If its not convenient, I'll say grab me later, or I cant right now. If its really important to the guest they will come back, or if not let it slide with no feelings hurt.

Bingo...there are always two ways to handle a situation...the right way and the wrong way.

sponsored links

4,739 views & 0 likes for this thread
Event photography: Declining personal photo requests
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.