Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Mar 2014 (Monday) 20:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What would you do? Client screen shot images and posted

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 25, 2014 09:19 |  #16

I wouldn't worry about this. Guess is they were so happy with your work they wanted to share it.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 25, 2014 09:38 |  #17

Thoughts... you contract is a very restrictive one if you want to encourage WOM referrals. Sharing images is your friend... embrace the sharing.

Peter

kacebelle
THREAD ­ STARTER
305 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 25, 2014 09:54 |  #18

rick_reno wrote in post #16784732 (external link)
I wouldn't worry about this. Guess is they were so happy with your work they wanted to share it.

I agree! My initial reaction was definitely not the appropriate one.

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16784775 (external link)
Thoughts... you contract is a very restrictive one if you want to encourage WOM referrals. Sharing images is your friend... embrace the sharing.

Thanks for the advice. I may update that to encourage sharing as long as my watermark is not removed. :)

My Stuff | My flickr (external link) |My Website (external link)| My Blog (external link) | My Feedback

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 25, 2014 10:07 |  #19

As others have indicated you can't stop people from "grabbing" proofs when you make them available, but you can change your watermark to make it more unappealing to grab the proofs.

Here is an example of my watermark for proofing:

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2811/13405440573_9f305bb908_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …_photography/13​405440573/  (external link)
sampleproof (external link) by Douglas Portz Photography (external link), on Flickr

Not really something someone wants to on facebook. and if they do, it is pretty clear that they are breaking contract rules.

As you indicated they were already paying for digital copies for social media, so end of the day no harm.

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 25, 2014 11:52 |  #20

I assume that many clients do not understand and won't remember terms after signing a contract, if they read it at all. For personal portraits, you might give the benefit of the doubt as opposed to art directors or agencies. In your case, I would craft a short friendly e-mail explaining their facebook came up with a routine search of online images. It sets the tone for anyone deliberately violating licenses or copyright and reminds the average person you are a professional. Most will comply saying they didn't realize. Any objection is not from the type of client you want. It's your call whether to push if you think their negativity will harm your business later.

Your contract is good, but not the easiest for customers to understand. I'd rewrite it, putting the simple points plainly upfront. Also put a blurb at the top of your proofing gallery and as a footnote when e-mailing clients that their images are ready. Having written reminders will help your case should it ever come to that. You can be friendly, not legalistic.

I do advocate clients sharing images you want released, just not images which aren't released or you didn't intend for display.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

4,563 views & 0 likes for this thread
What would you do? Client screen shot images and posted
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.