Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 03 Mar 2014 (Monday) 09:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographing in Bear and Cougar Country

Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 23, 2014 16:24 |  #106

If you happen to see a bear and can't tell whether it's a black or a grizzly bear, there is a surefire way to determine which it is. Sneak around behind the bear and find a tree close by that you can climb. Creep up and slap the bear on the rump. The startled bear will initially run away from you giving you time to run climb the nearby tree before the bear turns to pursue you. If it is a black bear it will climb the tree and eat you. If it is a grizzly bear it will push the tree over and eat you.

Joe
5DIII

sponsored links
eriet30
Goldmember
2,481 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 23, 2014 17:15 |  #107

20droger wrote in post #16740967 (external link)
Always take you wife with you when you go into the wild, or someone else who runs slower than you do.

When I lived in the NW my wife and I bought Mt Bikes and went to Mt Spokane hit a trail and coming around a corner saw something BIG move to the left and down the hill.. As it was going down small trees were shaking and there was a lot of growling...... I turned to tell the wife lets go back and she was gone....... 1 mile later up the hill she turns and says .... "I thought you were with me"... yeah right she just wanted to be faster then me so I would get eaten.

"Vision is the art of seeing that which is invisible"
http:// … flickr (external link) www.paulvanderveen.net (external link)

A9 / A7R4/A6000IR -CV10, Tam 17-28, Loxia 21, Tam 28-75, FE90, FE 100-400GM, Rok 8mm Fish, Sony 1.4x
Legacy Glass: Canon FD 55 1.2 / Jupiter 9 85mm 1.4 / Viv S1 90 2.5 macro

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,913 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 23, 2014 17:17 |  #108

You can never trust them, especially if they have been checking your insurance policy :p

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 24, 2014 09:21 |  #109

ejenner wrote in post #16741677 (external link)
I started reading that (I think after my bear encounter) and couldn't finish it. I still hike in bear country and wouldn't hesitate to go back out to Denali, even the same location, but I'm not sure I can recommend the book. It certainly wouldn't have helped me, probably just freaked me out more.

I still stick with the 'stay calm and figure out what the bear is doing/wants/is trying to tell you' mantra. What how he/she reacts to what you do and be aware of your surroundings.

Like they say 'stand your ground'. Might be good advice in some cases, but not in others, same with 'play dead', 'make noise' etc..

Well having read the majority of this book Edward.. Id have to agree with you.

Basically it included all types of attacks and what preventative measures worked for one , got another killed... there are some horrendus attacks in it.

I dont get those who go camping in Bear country .. wow!.. one in the book she was camping on her own.. ON HER OWN! ,she was dragged from her camp and partially eaten..:(

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 24, 2014 10:48 as a reply to  @ *Jayrou's post |  #110

The trouble with books or advice on bear attacks is that all bears are different, just like people. And none of them are like Yogi or Boo-Boo.

If your luck is like mine, the "harmless" black bear you run across will have just lost to Mrs. Bear's "headache" and been gored in the butt by an angry stag. Trust me, playing dead won't help you.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 24, 2014 10:50 |  #111

*Jayrou wrote in post #16782064 (external link)
Well having read the majority of this book Edward.. Id have to agree with you.

Basically it included all types of attacks and what preventative measures worked for one , got another killed... there are some horrendus attacks in it.

I dont get those who go camping in Bear country .. wow!.. one in the book she was camping on her own.. ON HER OWN! ,she was dragged from her camp and partially eaten..:(

According to Gary Larson's "The Far Side," bears love sleeping bags: they're soft on the outside and crunchy in the middle.

skilsaw
302 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 25, 2014 16:44 as a reply to  @ 20droger's post |  #112

Pack your bag with all your heaviest camera gear,
Rub a raw steak on the outside of the bag.
Hire an assistant to carry the bag,
Carry an axe.

In the off chance you are confronted by an angry bear, tell your assistant to "Grab the bag and run". Then hit him in the knee with the axe so that you will be sure to be faster than him.

skilsaw
302 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 25, 2014 16:53 |  #113

Hikers in bear country have been advised to tie bells to their rucksack so that the bears will hear them coming and leave them alone.
If you see bear poo on the trail, you will know it is Grizzly poo because it has little bells in it.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,806 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 25, 2014 23:16 |  #114

20droger wrote in post #16782284 (external link)
According to Gary Larson's "The Far Side," bears love sleeping bags: they're soft on the outside and crunchy in the middle.

Ooooh. I like it. Larson's funny.

Although it brings back memories of my bear encounter where I was separated from my wife who was hiding in her sleeping bag (in a tent, griz was literally 5ft from her though) and all I could do was hope the bear didn't go for the 'snack'.

But that's still hilarious.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 26, 2014 01:35 |  #115

ejenner wrote in post #16786751 (external link)
Ooooh. I like it. Larson's funny.

Although it brings back memories of my bear encounter where I was separated from my wife who was hiding in her sleeping bag (in a tent, griz was literally 5ft from her though) and all I could do was hope the bear didn't go for the 'snack'.

But that's still hilarious.

Thank God for bear-proof tents! Oh, wait....

skilsaw
302 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 26, 2014 02:09 as a reply to  @ Sparky98's post |  #116

Pepper spray is available if you are going into an area where the bears like spicy food.

badams
699 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 28, 2014 09:59 |  #117

Sparky98 wrote in post #16780354 (external link)
If you happen to see a bear and can't tell whether it's a black or a grizzly bear, there is a surefire way to determine which it is. Sneak around behind the bear and find a tree close by that you can climb. Creep up and slap the bear on the rump. The startled bear will initially run away from you giving you time to run climb the nearby tree before the bear turns to pursue you. If it is a black bear it will climb the tree and eat you. If it is a grizzly bear it will push the tree over and eat you.

Since you are here typing this, you haven't put this theory to a test yet?

Wish I could have thought up this, I love it.

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

sponsored links

12,126 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographing in Bear and Cougar Country
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.