Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 29 Jun 2006 (Thursday) 07:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kenko vs Canon Ext Tubes

Lester ­ Wareham
27,648 posts
Gallery: 2956 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 29, 2006 07:46 |  #1

I have the Kenko tubes but 3 times now the lens release has been accidently activated, this time my 300/f4 IS fell onto a sandy path with no rear cap on. The problem seems to be very weak spring on the kenko tubes release leaver.

The Canon TC lens release has a strong spring and I wonder if owners of both the Canon tubes and the Canon TC can conform the tubes have a similarly strong spring?

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

sponsored links
ScottE
Goldmember
3,179 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jun 29, 2006 21:26 |  #2

I have used my Kenko tubes for a long time and have never had that happen. Either you got a defective tube or they have let quality slip in recent years.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,594 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 29, 2006 22:33 |  #3

Wow,. sorry to hear about that :(

Though I have not had similar problems with my set of Kenko,. my feeling has been that they are not tough enough for many of the applications I want to use them for.

Using with a 100mm macro on a 20D is no problem,. anything in that scale they are more than up to the task. I am NOT comfortable using them to hang the 1D mKII off of the back of a large prime however.. I need to get the Canons for this application.

The Canons, though costly, are in fact made to work with the heaviest cameras on the large lenses.. I'm sure they are up to the task.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Greg_C
Cream of the Crop
12,674 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 30, 2006 01:05 |  #4

Never had this problem with my Kenko tubes. Is it only one of them that is loose or do any of them do it?

Greg
Blog (external link) | Photogallery (external link) | 1DmkIV + other stuff
Sanity is a madness put to good use.

Lester ­ Wareham
THREAD ­ STARTER
27,648 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 30, 2006 01:59 |  #5

Thanks for the feedback. All the springs seem to have the same strength so I guess this is as designed.

This has happened three times:

1. 12mm tube between EF 100mm Macro and EF 2X so I can use them together. 100mm macro fell off as I was focussing, fortunatly the MT-24 cables slowed its fall. This time I put it down to my hands getting in the way.

2. Whole stack in front of the EF 300/4. I noticed it was loose and relocked it in time to stop distaster. Not sure which tube in this case - possibly the 12mm again.

3. The one yesterday again with the EF 300/4 and only the 36mm tube. If it had dropped off earlier it would have landed in several inches of muddy marsh so I was lucky in a way. All cleaned up and seems OK but time will tell. I had the camera on my sholder at the time but in use my hand stays up near the focus ring with my two smallest fingures wrapped around the QR plate on the TMA foot, so the release leaver must have got caught on my clothes.

I just measured the force required to pull the leavers back using my wifes kitchen scales (don't tell her!), 50-100g with the 36mm being the weakest. The EF 1.4X measured as ~200g and the EX 2X as 300g and has a much less prominant leaver.

I presume the Canon tubes have the same sort of release leaver and spring strength and hope someone can confirm that.

I am reluctant to use the kenko tubes again after these events but don't want to bang out on Canon tubes if they are not an improvement in this respect.

Gear List

evandavies
Goldmember
1,436 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 30, 2006 05:54 as a reply to  @ Lester Wareham's post |  #6

Just a longshot here as I don't have any extension tubes (I have a Kenko Pro1 x1.4 TC)

Can you shove a small piece of foam behind the release lever?

E:¬D

Lens focuses the light,
camera records the light,
you make it art.

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Jun 30, 2006 06:05 |  #7

I have the Canon tubes EF 12 & 25 II and I can confirm that the locks on them are very very positive. There is no chance of an accidental release unless they wear very significantly.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
THREAD ­ STARTER
27,648 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 30, 2006 10:45 |  #8

Dan: thank you.

OK folks, I have sent off for the Canon tubes, it doesn't make sense for ~£1000 lenses to drop off the camera. The insurace may pay for it but it is more the down time. I am hoping my supplier will manage their normal same day dispatch.

Evan: As a stop gap I have some rubber bands around the release leavers.

Gear List

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Jun 30, 2006 10:49 |  #9

I played with the Kenko tubes before I bought the Canon ones. I liked the price and 3 tubes vs. 2....but I didn't like the connection on the Kenko tubes...seemed sloppy to me, so I have Canon tubes.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
THREAD ­ STARTER
27,648 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 30, 2006 13:25 as a reply to  @ Woolburr's post |  #10

Woolburr wrote:
I played with the Kenko tubes before I bought the Canon ones. I liked the price and 3 tubes vs. 2....but I didn't like the connection on the Kenko tubes...seemed sloppy to me, so I have Canon tubes.

You are right they are rather loose, I could forgive that, but not the accidental release. At 1/3 price for a Canon set they were too atractive.

You buy cheap you buy twice I often say; :rolleyes:

Gear List

BearLeeAlive
All butt cheeks and string.
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 30, 2006 16:12 |  #11

I have used my Kenko tubes lots and have never had an issue. Yes, they have a wee bit of play but that never bothered anything.

I did get to try some Canon tubes and there is not doubt they are built better, things are also nice and tight. To get the full 68mm in Canon though was too much. I know ultimately you usually get what you pay for, and who knows, maybe I will have to replace my Kenko tubes someday.

-JIM-

blackviolet
Goldmember
1,313 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jul 01, 2006 03:22 |  #12

i've never an issue with my kenco tubes, either. stacked with a 135 f2L doesn't present any issue.

--
oblio
1dmkiii - 5dmkii -Leica M8/M6 - Mamiya 645AFDiii/zd
ModelMayhem (external link) | my (external link)flick (external link)r gallery (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
THREAD ­ STARTER
27,648 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 01, 2006 07:58 |  #13

The first of the Canon tubes has arrived.

To look at very similar to a Kenko tube, almost identical, similar leaver.

The leaver streangth spring is about 160-180g so 2-3 times as strong as the Kenko version.

The main difference is the amount of torque required to mount and dismount the lens. It is a lot less likely accidental movement of the leaver would cause the lens to unlock (I hope) as this would require considerable torque to be applied at the same time.

As has been observed by some on this thread the Canon tubes lockup tight with no obvious rotational or axial movement that I saw in the kenko tubes.

I think if you just use these Kenko tubes for the occasional shot you are unlikely to have a problem, but if you will be using a tube assembly all day, handling the equimpment a lot, different orientations, use of the stopdown preview, carrying the lens, and even with a smaller lens like the 100mm macro, this could be an issue.

Of course I can only comment on the Kenkos I have, not on others. I suggest care if the mounted lens at all loose.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Gear List

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,594 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 01, 2006 14:47 |  #14

Well,. you'e definitely scared me into never trying the Kenko tubes with my heavy gear again..

My order for the Canon set will be soon.

Again,. very sorry about your lens,. I hope it comes out o-kay.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
THREAD ­ STARTER
27,648 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 02, 2006 06:11 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #15

CyberDyneSystems wrote:
Well,. you'e definitely scared me into never trying the Kenko tubes with my heavy gear again..

My order for the Canon set will be soon.

Again,. very sorry about your lens,. I hope it comes out o-kay.

Better safe than sorry I think.

Thanks CDS, the lens looks OK, no grinding noises when I focus. Fingers cross.

Gear List

sponsored links

14,755 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kenko vs Canon Ext Tubes
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.